Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 23:01   #241
BHPian
 
senindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Essen (Germany)
Posts: 225
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
What is the waiting period for swift vdi like in kolkata?
Don't know about VDi but I was quoted 2 and a half months by Dewars and Jalan for VDi with ABS.
senindra is offline  
Old 22nd August 2008, 01:36   #242
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC/MAA
Posts: 1,333
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

The customer relations guy at my Maruti Service station told me that production of the Alto has been stopped and the A-Star is it's replacement. Can anyone verify if this is true?.

Last edited by nickatnite : 22nd August 2008 at 01:49.
nickatnite is offline  
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:43   #243
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,753
Thanked: 89,442 Times
Default

Quote:
The customer relations guy at my Maruti Service station told me that production of the Alto has been stopped and the A-Star is it's replacement.
No chance. The Alto is Maruti's best selling model and, in fact, the best selling car in India. Maruti isn't known to fix what ain't broke.
GTO is offline  
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:08   #244
nbr
BHPian
 
nbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MANGALORE/BALEHONNUR/DUBAI
Posts: 438
Thanked: 47 Times
Exclamation A Star to be sold as ALTO worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No chance. The Alto is Maruti's best selling model and, in fact, the best selling car in India. Maruti isn't known to fix what ain't broke.

Suzuki will be selling A star as ALTO worldwide,since alto name tag has got a fan following all over
nbr is offline  
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:38   #245
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
Suzuki will be selling A star as ALTO worldwide,since alto name tag has got a fan following all over
Ya, you are right. But chances are more that they co-exist. If 800, alto, zen can co-exist, so can 800, alto and a-star . Alto and 800 prices might undergo a little correction(I hope).
blue_pulsar is offline  
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:54   #246
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,680 Times
Default

Where is Ram_Hyundai ? He might be able to give us some info.
Eddy is offline  
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:29   #247
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,753
Thanked: 89,442 Times
Default

Amongst other reasons, Maruti would never be able to build a A-star as cheap as they do the Alto. I don't think that the Alto's production is stopping any time soon. Atleast if history is anything to go by.
GTO is offline  
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:45   #248
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Amongst other reasons, Maruti would never be able to build a A-star as cheap as they do the Alto. I don't think that the Alto's production is stopping any time soon. Atleast if history is anything to go by.

I dont see A- Star being priced at Alto levels after seeing the interior pics of the car.Alto would continue as the bread and butter model . I think A-star would be priced somewhere around Estilo levels. Anyways lets wait and see what MSIL does.
karanraheja is offline  
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:54   #249
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 425 Times
Default

If all maruti small car's co-exist we are going to see M800, Alto, A Star, Wagon R, Zen Estilo, Splash and Swift!!

The Alto badged A-star shown on this thread looks pretty lame and ordinary doesn't it?
amit is offline  
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:58   #250
BHPian
 
rajchetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Thailand / Vietnam / HK / Bangalore
Posts: 325
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I dont see A- Star being priced at Alto levels after seeing the interior pics of the car.Alto would continue as the bread and butter model . I think A-star would be priced somewhere around Estilo levels. Anyways lets wait and see what MSIL does.
I think MSIL line up would be
1) ALTO
2) A-Star
3) ESTILO
4) Wagon R
5) Swift
6) Dezire
7) SX4.

Finally 800 will be replaced by Alto and the entire segment would receive a mild price correction. I hope they stop the 800 now its been 2decades exactly since launch and the car hasn't changed much.
rajchetan is offline  
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:50   #251
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
I think MSIL line up would be
1) ALTO
2) A-Star
3) ESTILO
4) Wagon R
5) Swift
6) Dezire
7) SX4.

Finally 800 will be replaced by Alto and the entire segment would receive a mild price correction. I hope they stop the 800 now its been 2decades exactly since launch and the car hasn't changed much.
I had read in ACI sometime back that Alto will go through a minor facelift in 2009 and it will go through a major facelift in 2011. I think 800 would continue for sometime as the Nano will be launched .
karanraheja is offline  
Old 24th August 2008, 20:37   #252
BHPian
 
elfhelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 113
Thanked: 0 Times
Default there's the Splash too

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
I think MSIL line up would be
1) ALTO
2) A-Star
3) ESTILO
4) Wagon R
5) Swift
6) Dezire
7) SX4.

Finally 800 will be replaced by Alto and the entire segment would receive a mild price correction. I hope they stop the 800 now its been 2decades exactly since launch and the car hasn't changed much.
Add to the mix the Splash which reportedly will be priced around swift (will get to know the truth in that only when it is launched).
elfhelm is offline  
Old 25th August 2008, 00:40   #253
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC/MAA
Posts: 1,333
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

I'm going to say this on record. The Alto production line has been stopped. The A-Star is it's replacement. Cheers!.
nickatnite is offline  
Old 25th August 2008, 00:43   #254
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 525
Thanked: 191 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I'm going to say this on record. The Alto production line has been stopped. The A-Star is it's replacement. Cheers!.

If this is true, then it must count as the boldest decision yet from Maruti. Imagine - stopping the production of its best seller, especially when its second and third best sellers (Wagon R and Swift), are about to come under some pretty heavy fire (The way the Vista is priced, dont be surprised to see Wagon R buyers considering it!).
prashanthyr is offline  
Old 25th August 2008, 02:12   #255
BHPian
 
senindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Essen (Germany)
Posts: 225
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hey Nick, I did read this somewhere that the Alto production has been stopped, however did not know how genuine the piece of information actually was. What is your source of information, would appreciate if you share with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I'm going to say this on record. The Alto production line has been stopped. The A-Star is it's replacement. Cheers!.
senindra is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Suzuki A-Star facelift spotted abroad chinmaybaikar The Indian Car Scene 33 1st September 2012 18:12
Maruti To Launch Suzuki Splash as Maruti Suzuki Ritz in May 2009 romeomidhun The Indian Car Scene 350 9th May 2009 19:33
Suzuki Splash coming soon to India! redcandle The Indian Car Scene 171 11th March 2008 16:32
Suzuki project Splash :The new A2-segment car from Maruti? thainogkok The Indian Car Scene 11 17th September 2006 20:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks