Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st September 2009, 21:30   #151
BHPian

Hi All,

Whatever bit of respect I had for the cops, just went down the drain today.

I had been to the Police Station today and asked the constable who took my complaint about the action taken on Joyce service station to which he replied that they had called them to the station and have warned them.

I then asked the constable to show me the statement that Joyce bunk people had written and he did not heed to my request and told its confidential and cannot be shown. finally I managed to peek at the letter and noticed that they had mentioned that I filled the petrol for Rs100 and requested a bill for Rs200.

I am planning to get hold of the statement copy given by Joyce bunk and need details on how to get it through RTI so that I could approach any news paper or news channels (Citizen Journalist).

CoolBoy007,
I have registered a complaint with HP on their site, lets see what they have to say.

And as suggested by others, I am a regular customer of Shell, but it so happend that I was left with no choice and had to go to Joyce Bunk.

appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks,
SAMUDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 22:18   #152
Senior - BHPian

The whole set up stinks.

Many years ago when I had just bought my Ind-Suzuki I met an uncle of my friend. This gentleman was an ex-serviceman, and was working as an inspector with one of the PSU oil companies. His duty was to check the seals and calibration of the pumps. He said that almost all bunks tampered with the meters, and his duty was to ensure they did not filch too much! I asked him how much was too much, and he replied up to 50 ML per litre was "permissible"!

That was two decades ago, but I don't think things have changed too much with our PSU behemoths.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 22:37   #153
BHPian

Pl. stick on to pursuing the complaint with the HP officials. Escalate the problem to whatever levels needed. Once the officials are involved, you would get some solution. Unfortunately, you have not been cheated legally (as in, paid more for less fuel). So, there may not be any stringent action against them. But still, there would be some action taken for sure since you have an official complaint. There would be a designated officer for each zone/area. The name is typically mentioned in the petrol station itself. Also, If you can get someone else who has also faced this problem, the complaint would carry additional weight. All said, appreciate your patience to follow it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
... He said that almost all bunks tampered with the meters, and his duty was to ensure they did not filch too much! I asked him how much was too much, and he replied up to 50 ML per litre was "permissible"!....
From what I have heard, bunks get 0.5% extra fuel as buffer for any wastage, evaporation etc. So, they get that in addition to what they pilferage? This in addition to all the adultration that they engage in? Must be a good business to be in :P

Last edited by null : 21st September 2009 at 22:42.
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 22:52   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
I had a very bad experience with HP pumps over the past few days. First one was at the pump on MG road just before the brigade road signal. I asked them to fill up diesel for 500 RS. the guy filled up for 100 and said he thought i said 100 (does five hundred sound the same as hundred???)
This happens to me all the time at the HP petrol bunk past Brigade Road. I always ask them to fill up for 500 bucks and they always fill it up for 100 bucks first and then fill up for another 400. I actually thought may be they are used to filling for 100 bucks as a lot of bikers fill for 100. But now, after this post, I am wondering if it was done deliberately. I have never bothered to look at the meter when they reset it and fill the remaining 400.Will check it for sure next time.
veyron_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 01:06   #155
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Very fishy! I'd see red if I were you. As mentioned by many, always get them to punch in the exact required quantity in the dispenser, before starting! Never let them fill it "manually".
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 07:44   #156
BHPian

Does the intermittent stop/start while filling have any effect on quantity of fuel? Now a days I am insisting on auto cut off but they are generally reluctant to do it. I always fill full tank.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 07:52   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Does the intermittent stop/start while filling have any effect on quantity of fuel? Now a days I am insisting on auto cut off but they are generally reluctant to do it. I always fill full tank.
Yes, in some cases, other than genuine, there is a chance that you get billed more than what you got. Even if it is full tank. So if you fill 35 ltrs there is a possiblity that you have to pay for, say, 40 ltrs in stop and start method. The reason is, some of the meters are so old, or sabotaged that the meter keeps running even if the attendant has stopped the pump temperorily, with skills he has ordained over the months. So you end up paying for nothing. I pass atleast 3 bunks before I fill up at the closest Shell joint. Atleast I know I'm not cheated.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:52   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
From what I have heard, bunks get 0.5% extra fuel as buffer for any wastage, evaporation etc. So, they get that in addition to what they pilferage? This in addition to all the adultration that they engage in? Must be a good business to be in :P
May be the PSUs themselves are part of the problem and not the solution. At the time when I spoke to the inspector, the commission paid to the bunks per litre of petrol sold was about 5 Paise or thereabouts. I don't know what it is now. Perhaps the commissions are fixed low and the agents are expected to make up for it from you and me, same way as the wages of waiters in restaurants are fixed low and they are expected to make up for it from tips!
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:22   #159
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUDRA View Post
I am planning to get hold of the statement copy given by Joyce bunk and need details on how to get it through RTI so that I could approach any news paper or news channels (Citizen Journalist).

Good going SAMUDRA. We need more folks like you.

If any help is required please post it on here.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:16   #160
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

If any help is required please post it on here.
+1 to that. Samudra, do let us know if you need any help. I volunteer as 3 bunks have tried to cheat me like this in the past 8 months!

Regards,
gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:38   #161
BHPian

Hi All,

This morning I got a call from HP and they asked me the details about my experience with Joyce Bunk and I explained them my side of the story.
later this noon I got call from the owner of the Bunk apologizing for the hardship caused by his employees and requested me to identify the employees who tried to cheat me.
I have still not decided on when to meet him at the bunk, but surely look forward to you guys for any last minute advice on whether to go alone or take somebody with me.
SAMUDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:45   #162
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
This morning I got a call from HP and they asked me the details about my experience with Joyce Bunk and I explained them my side of the story.
later this noon I got call from the owner of the Bunk apologizing for the hardship caused by his employees and requested me to identify the employees who tried to cheat me.
BRILLIANT!!!!

Please take someone with you. Maybe a group of 4-5 guys. Only you do the talking though.

Identify the employee's and let the owner know that you have spread the news about cheating at his pump through the internet and that lot of people have supported you and will stop visiting his pump.

Try and get details as to what punishment is going to be given to the scum at the Bunk. If possible document this and send the details of your meeting with the bunk owner back to HP.

Also if possible ask HP how future complaints from the same bunk will be monitored and what is the threshold for this. At what point do they take stern action against the owner. Blaming the employee's each time may be letting off the owner easily.

Again kudos to your spirit and perseverance. Do let us know what happens.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:53   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I have still not decided on when to meet him at the bunk, but surely look forward to you guys for any last minute advice on whether to go alone or take somebody with me.

Congrats Samudra . We need people like you to stand up against such people. Make sure you tag along few friends and talk to the owner.
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:00   #164
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to your perseverance! Don't go alone, take a few friends with you. But I predict it will be an "eye wash" apology, an "astounded" owner will chastise the "culprits" in front of everyone and then it will be business as usual at this bunk. Better avoid it in future and visit Shell bunks even if they are a little out of your way.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:58   #165
Senior - BHPian

For pete's sake don't fall for apologies. They cost zilch and nothing has to change, to give one. They are free and plentiful. Only some concrete change can be acceptable.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote