Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th December 2009, 12:01   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
But which meter ? The fuel dipensed or the cash meter ?
I see both jump together - cash to 200 and fuel quantity to 3.xx litres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
LOL! Is it not time the mods changed the title of this thread as "Cheating at petrol pumps"? We see almost all pumps represented here!
My experience in Bangalore at least is with HP pumps only. Somehow I find the IOC guys more decent.
RakishRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 14:10   #182
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
My experience in Bangalore at least is with HP pumps only.
I regularly have petrol from HP COCO outlet at Basaveshwara Nagar [near Shankar Math] and another HP pump located on J P Nagar Ring Road [near 17th Main] - No cheating, quality or quantity issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is it not time the mods changed the title of this thread as "Cheating at petrol pumps"? We see almost all pumps represented here!
Cheats are there in all walks of life.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 15:23   #183
BHPian

I have a very bad experience with HP pump recently. I have asked the attendant to fill tank. Initially the amount in the display was RS 228/- I have noticed this and asked him to reset. I have asked him to fill the tank until autocut off. When he started filling he diverted my attention regarding the silver tint sunfilm in my car. When I answering his queries, the tank filled and he started to fill the tank by pulling the pump slightly. I have asked him to stop. Note that I have asked him to fill upto autocut off only. The bill showed in the display was Rs 1550/-. Usually it will take only 37 ltrs of diesel and this time it took 43 ltrs. I thought he filled additional diesel after autocut off. After checking mileage, I have realised that i have duped by Rs 228/- of diesel. He never reset the pump, before filling my tank.

I went to the bunk and asked the pump attendent about the low quantity. He told me that once we take the pump from the hook, the reading will be automatically set to ZERO!!!. So there is no need to reset!! Other pump attendets also told the same story. Is this true?

Last edited by Ramesh75 : 10th May 2010 at 15:27.
Ramesh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 15:51   #184
Senior - BHPian

Henceforth get out of the car and stand near the driver's door, and release the petrol tank hatch lever only after they set the meter to zero. If riding a bike, cover the petrol tank with your hand and take it off only after you see zero on the meter. Else visit only Shell pumps, like me!
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 16:16   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh75 View Post
I went to the bunk and asked the pump attendent about the low quantity. He told me that once we take the pump from the hook, the reading will be automatically set to ZERO!!!. So there is no need to reset!! Other pump attendets also told the same story. Is this true?
The meter is supposed to reset when we take the pump off the hook, but I have seen some cases when it doesn't reset. I think some meters also have a button that could be used to reset.

Like Gansan pointed out, it's easier to cheat you when you don't even bother to get out of the car to re-fuel or fill air.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 10th May 2010 at 16:20.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 19:04   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh75 View Post

Its not necessary that the Meter Will reset when the nozzle is lifted of the hook, usually the sales boys create a gap between the clip and he hook hence even if the nozzle is lifted of the hook the distance between the clip will obviously cause the clip not to reset and you get duped.

Always ensure that you check that the meter is reset to zero before fuelling starts and always avoid pumps where the attendants distract you. They distract customers to dupe them so where ever there is chit chat dont go there.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 23:20   #187
BHPian

I always refuel at HP amar mahal pump in Mumbai. The guy there never presses the nozzle before verifying from the driver that the meter has been set to zero. As if it is his responsibility to do the same.
After reading the various posts over here, I feel lucky to have such a pump near my house.
dark_horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 12:12   #188
BHPian

Smile Re: Cheating at HP pumps

I agree with the tips put in by friend amohit. There is a neat way to circumvent this, now that it is evident that cheating occurs on the filling-with-money-celing account. Yes, stop the car, get out, watch the meter till the chap asks you how much to fill. I always tank-up, tell the attendant, "full kar do" even if I know that only 6-7 ltrs would get in. That way, they have no option but to put the lever in "fill" mode and leave it alone. Once the auto shut off works, note the reading, then ask him to fill it slowly. You cannot get in more than .6 to .7 ltrs appx even if you fill to the brim (not recommended). You can do this check to ensure the correct functioning of the auto cut - off (less fuel filled would translate to higher mileages in that fill and poor mileage figures when you fill next). My advice, always keep your tank 1/2 + full, I fill-up whenever the needle drops to 60%. That way, it costs the same (500, 600, diesel) and saves your tank from getting rusted.
lifebuoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 17:06   #189
BHPian

Default Re: Cheating at HP pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
The great Indian distract and cheat trick was tried on me by the BP petrol pump guys on Wheeler road next to Thoms Bakery in Bangalore.
WORST EVER petrol station I've used - There are scoundrels, and these have taken this act to new levels. AVOID COMPLETELY

I gave them a sound dressing down before I left. Equally bad one is a BP near Pizza Hut at Kammanahalli. The owner came out and started supporting his employees! There should be some way to fix this...
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 07:41   #190
BHPian

The BP petrol bunk on 27th Main in HSR used to be reliable. But the last 2 times the middle Bay (nozzle 12) seems to show about 5-8 lts more on a fill up.

I got a check of fuel quantity done. I suspect that the first 5 lts is correct & the hanky panky starts after that. (is it possible to do that or am just paranoid?)

I told the owner to show the accuracy from the auto stop point by filling the 5 lt measure can. He refused saying that it us not possible. That I know is nonsense.

Be warned folks.

Any other way to handle this?
sridhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 10:13   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Once the auto shut off works, note the reading, then ask him to fill it slowly. You cannot get in more than .6 to .7 ltrs appx even if you fill to the brim ..
Depends on the car. I have consistently filled 1 litre, or 2 litres, or 5-6 litres in 3 different cars. Volume was specific to each car.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 10:23   #192
BHPian

I fill at the HP pump in Sarjapur road after Wipro (next to DSR). I've been going there for almost 4 years now. They have been consistent till now and I don't see any cheating. I always open the gas tank and then stand next to the fuel pump from the point of reset to the auto cut-off. I tell them not to touch the pump if they indeed try (very rare instance).

Overall, I am satisfied with this pump and service. Only thing that annoys me is that their air filling station does not work most of the time.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 11:10   #193
BHPian

Such petrol pump cheating is rampant in Pune. On several occasions I have seen the pump stopping at 300 bucks and then the attendant resets it and starts all over again and adds the 300 to the final amount.
So now I only fill at COCO outlets. HP, camp next to SGS is the best I have come across
crazyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 11:15   #194
Senior - BHPian

HP pump on the LBS marg just before kalpana theatres will cheat on you almost everytime you go there, they use the distraction method most of the time, one person would open the cap ask you how much has to be filled and another person comes from the other side to ask you about the coolant,air, or even about how good your car looks during all this the person behind has already started filling without resetting the meter to zero,
Please avoid this pump at all costs unless its an emergency, they also provide petrol/diesals in bottles etc by charging a premium on it.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 10:46   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
Such petrol pump cheating is rampant in Pune. On several occasions I have seen the pump stopping at 300 bucks and then the attendant resets it and starts all over again and adds the 300 to the final amount.
If the attendant has already filled 300 rupees worth of fuel in a car and then the pump is reset to 0, starts over and fills x amount in the same car, wouldn't x+300 be correct?

Unless of course you are saying the pump wasnt reset to 0 in the first instance.
hothatchaway is online now   Reply With Quote