Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th April 2015, 11:57   #196
Default Re: Cheating at HP pumps

I have had my fair share of woes at Bangalore petrol "bunks" however I think the trick is to find a good establishment and stick to it as far as possible. For the last 5 years I have always been filling up my car & bike at the IOC operated pump on BTM main road and they seem to be doing their job properly.

However I still make sure that the pump is reset to zero before filling, always fill full tank and ask to stop at the auto cut off point. This has helped a lot without me having to go all Byomkesh Bakshi on the attendants.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 13:39   #197

I use pumps which I know. The other Thing I do, is put my phone on the dash with the camera facing them (on pumps that I dont know) and tell the attendant, that bharo, sab to record ho raha hai (fill I am recording it). Seems to work wonders! I also have an old webcam which I sometimes use instead of the phone - makes them nervous.

Last edited by torquecurve : 29th April 2015 at 13:41.
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 13:52   #198

In newer equipments, meter is always automatically set to zero once the nozzle is let off the holder. Also, fuel s measured at the nozzle.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 14:00   #199

The new digital meters I feel are easy to tamper. I had an experience one, where a meter which was set to '0' started straight from 300 as soon as the attendant started filling up. These displays are simple counters and can be made to display anything.

These digital meters somehow are worst than mechanical ones.
tazmaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 14:03   #200

Heard something quite unbelievable but possibly true.

My friend went to an establishment for some repair work near Jalandhar(Punjab). They also do stuff like resetting the odo of cars etc. The owner was quite a knowledgeable person. My friend being from embedded background got chatting with him, and the owner became comfortable enough to show him his prized possession: An RF enabled device created in the shop which can control the amount of fuel being dispensed.

It can be placed somewhere inside the fuel dispenser and has options to siphon off 5%, 10% or none. Best part is that it can be operated from inside office wirelessly. Amount is decided depending on the vehicle that arrives (sarkari ones are not touched as per him). They have already sold quite a few of them apparently.

Whether it's possible or not no idea but scary if true!
avisidhu is offline   Reply With Quote