Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th May 2009, 01:36   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
I had a very bad experience with HP pumps over the past few days. First one was at the pump on MG road just before the brigade road signal. I asked them to fill up diesel for 500 RS. the guy filled up for 100 and said he thought i said 100 (does five hundred sound the same as hundred???)

anyway i said no its for 500 and he went on to fill up for the remaining. he stopped at 12.xx and said i have filled up for 400 now. i paid him 500 and came back. i normally reset the trip meter everytime an my car goes on for approx 230 km if i put diesel for 500 RS. but to my horror the low fuel lamp started glowing at 175!!!

so this time again i went to another HP pump on airport road. just before golden enclave... i was all the time thinking how come the mileage went down so much. this time i was having a look at the meter. he put fuel for 100 RS (3.xx lires) replaced the hose. when i said no put for 500 he took the hose and started filling it up. the lever which has to be switched to reset teh meter was not done. he continued from 3.xx till it reached 12.xx and said now 400 RS previously 100RS.

i asked for the bill the cashier gaveme a bill for 16 litres. i said how come you put only 12 litres then. the pump attendant said no i reset the metre and did it. i said no you did not.

And the surprising part!!! the cashier immediately gave 100 RS back!!!!

is there some way we can take it up to HP? i am sure they cheat a good many people this way.

can some one tell me how to put up a complaint with HP? can we do something thru team-bhp?

meanwhile watch out for these two pumps.
Man ! This is VERY TRUE and happend to me as well. I fill Rs.200/- petrol approx 4.3lts every 7th day for my Honda Aviator.

Two weeks back on my way back from office at around 11PM from whitefield towards HAL, i got cheated by HP. The same pump which is next to marathally Brand Factory mall.

I asked the guy to fill for Rs.200 and he filled only rs. 100 in first go. Later i pointed out and he filled more Rs.100.

Usually when i fill for Rs.200, the fuel indicator goes well above full, however that night it was little above half. I felt cheated, but had to rush back home.

I feel best buy is at HP next to cosmos mall ITPL main road @ Mats fuel.
sary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 09:40   #62
BANNED

Such incidences keeps happening irrespective of brands (HP, BP, etc) and ideally should be reported to concerned companies. This can be done by contacting local sales officer of brand. Contact details are generally written on Sales Figure board (Total sales for day/month) otherwise we can ask for contact details to manager giving some lame reason like "I am interested in opening a petrol pump !"

I have also noticed anther problem atleast in pune. Mostly , Free air was available in most of pumps as value added service. However, in pune, most of pumps, do not maintain them, but there is always a "Hawawala" right next to non working "Free Air" facility which is chargeble. :-( Not to mention , nexus behind it.
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 09:55   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Avoid the pump opposite e-square and the pump opposite FC bridge (the yellow one BP) best pump to fill is the RTO BP Pump
I think it is a company operated pump. is it?
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 10:30   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeys78 View Post
The rest supposed to be filled up in car was for Rs.400 but this guy without resetting meter started from 100 bucks and filled till Rs.400 cheating me for Rs.100 arguing me he started at 0 than 100. so this seems like a general practice in HP outlets. never seen this thread before.
Wow thats a first for me i live a stones throw away from this pump ( is this the one op to the fires station ?). I usually tank up there

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
This particular outlet is a born fraud. I had issues with him and when you start shouting they will solve the problem.
I have been a regular at this place for about two years now and till no no problems at all but i do keep and strict watch as i always do on any pumps i visit for topping up my fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
I think it is a company operated pump. is it?
If its a COCO pump then issue resolution would be much easier than at a privately owned and run one.
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 10:50   #65

Default Some questions realted to specific gravity at fuel stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
How can there be a default reading?? AFAIK, the reading is temperature corrected. So the time of day should not make a difference. From what I can make out, that reading is only good for checking on possible adulteration. I'v only seen very small difference at the RTO pump; like maybe upto a point. The current variation is huge in comparision. Now funny thing is other pump had a reading what I usually see (about 800). So it means these pumps have different underground storage tanks. Wonder if the one I filled from was adulterated... hmmm. Wish the companies give more info regarding these density readings. I should try to call them...
Is there an option to enable and disable the measurement of specific gravity, on the pump?
If the density of the fuel dispensed is temperature corrected, will we always get the same amount of fuel irrespective of the hour of fueling e.g. morning, noon, evening and night? I understood from the forum that filling up in the early mornings is a bit better - as the cooler night time temperatures ensure better density of dispensed fuel i.e. marginally more quantity for every rupee paid.
rsksnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 11:16   #66
BHPian

Few steps that I always follow.

1. Always get down, open the tank and go around the car near the fuel dispenser before I even tell these guys how much to fill.

2. Always ask them to put on autocut. If by chance they say that auto cut is not working or some other excuse like that, I just abort and go to some other pump. If I desperately need fuel, I ask them to put in for Rs100 and then move off to another station.

3. Always ask them to punch in the amount, lock in the nozzle and keep there hands off the lever controlling the fuel flow. I do it irrespective of the amount of fuel I need. If someone refuses, I simply move aside and ask for the complaint book. Most of the time the keyword "complaint book" works as a very good catalyst and sets lot of things right!
This step also ensures that there is no mistake in hearing the amount of fuel to be put, hence protects against Rs100 instead of Rs500 kind of scam.
Even after that for some reason, I get into a situation where the guy has heard Rs500 as Rs100 and stops I simply pay Rs100 and drive off. Every time it has so happened that magically the moment I take my wallet out to pay Rs100, they realize that I have asked for Rs500 and not 100. They try to restart filling, but I clearly tell them Rs100 is fine with me.

4. For the duration the fuel is being pumped in, irrespective of auto cut or fixed amount, I stare without blinking at the dispenser lever and the meter continuously. If anyone tries to start a chat, I simply ignore them as if they do not exist.

5. As long as shell fuel is available for a reasonable price, I shall simply go to shell, even if it means driving 3-4kms to get the fuel filled.

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 11:36   #67
BHPian

Nice to see the thread live again after two years. Now we have new kind of pumps and newer techniques to cheat people.

It happened to me in Noida, where just before the said amount was being reached, a person comes over and says "sheesha ssaf kar du?" i.e should I clean the windscreen?. In that fraction, the person filling replaced the nozzle and I saw 1000 on the screen. I became suspicious but didnít realize what had happened.

May be the same was tried on me too. Thanks for letting us know this.
rapidsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 12:08   #68
BHPian

Well, its a universal thing.

Probably for that reason my santro gives FE in the range of 8-12 in the city and 13-17 on the highway.

Amohit: nice suggestions, must be done every time.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 12:14   #69
BHPian

After reading through all the thread was wondering why cant in India we tank it up by ourselves , just like US. Wouldnt it be a good idea???
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 12:31   #70
Senior - BHPian

HP Pumps are known for all the Chicanery.I have had many experiances and hence i have switched over to shell for all my vehicles.Atleast Shell people ask many questions and ensure that they out correct measure of fuel as per pur direction.
But Shell service is a bit slow in Hyderabad in all the 3 bunks.
hillram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 17:38   #71
BHPian

I really wish the government had a civic body just to look into such things and act swiftly on customer complaints.

In some western countries, you fill the petrol/diesel yourself and then go in and make the payment or pay using the credit card on the pump itself.

If you fear that the petrol is adulterated or dispensing less, all that you have to do is, obtain a receipt and go to the trading standards office and lodge a complaint.

I quote a personal experience. While filling up at the TEXACO Petrol station in Nottingham, I had a feeling that pump was not dispensing properly. I tried reasoning it out with the manager, did not help. I took a receipt and went to the local civic centre and lodged a complaint with the trading standards. They raided the petrol station , the same evening and their tests revealed that the pumps were not dispensing the said volume.
vdiatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 17:45   #72
Senior - BHPian

Not all states in the US allow you to fill by yourself. In some states it is an offense, since it is seen as you are trying to take away the fuel attendants work!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 18:05   #73
BHPian

I always fill up at the Auto Care centre at Bandra. HO COCO. They always insist that I look at the meter reading as zero before doing anything. They will actually tap my shoulder if I'm not paying attention.

Have been filling fuel there for over 15 years and my cars get the best mileage from there.
His Highness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 18:08   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsksnt View Post
Is there an option to enable and disable the measurement of specific gravity, on the pump?
If the density of the fuel dispensed is temperature corrected, will we always get the same amount of fuel irrespective of the hour of fueling e.g. morning, noon, evening and night? I understood from the forum that filling up in the early mornings is a bit better - as the cooler night time temperatures ensure better density of dispensed fuel i.e. marginally more quantity for every rupee paid.
I do not know if there is an option to enable or disable the measurement or the display of the density window. Btw, the window is labelled as density and not specific gravity.

If the pump is only measuring the density and then displaying it after temp. correction, the change in density according to the instantenous temperature of the gasoline at that moment will not matter. So as I said, the reading is of no use for that purpose. It can only be used to determine possible adulteration. I do not have confirmed info that this is the way it works. But seeing the readings almost constant at around 800 (till earlier) makes me believe that this is indeed how it must work.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 21:21   #75

Has anyone had a strange experience in the IO pump near ITPL?

Today I asked the attendant to fill for 500 Rs and he put the nozzle in the tank and left it. at about 478 rs the fuel pumping suddenly stopped on its own and the guy re-clicked the valve at the hand control and re-fueling re-started from where it stopped.

When I asked the guy what was the reason for that he said something about the nozzle automatically detecting a full taknk and shutting off to avoid overflow. Note I was on reserve!!!!

I didnt see any marked difference in the fuel levels ,however I have no way of knowing if I've been taken for a ride or not.
Offside is offline   Reply With Quote