Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd September 2009, 10:05   #106
Senior - BHPian

Best is to get your fuel filled in ISO 9001 certified pumps.I have noticed that all these fuel pumps in these stations have auto stop which lets the fuel stop automatically when the tank reaches full level.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:20   #107
BHPian

I had a bad experience at HP petrol Bunk in Bangalore C.V Raman Nagar.Both the times the attendant filled less fuel and stopped.Then he refilled again without resetting and added both the readings.Second instance i got really agitated and i slapped him.Then the manager rushed to me and scolded the guy.Even he got a mouthful.Thereafter i did not have any such experience at same pump.
freewheelburnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:23   #108

Another incident of cheating to me by BP petrol pump in Basaveshwar Nagar. This petrol pump is on BsvNgr main road ( left side) from Shankar Math to Havnoor circle direction. I asked to fill the petrol for Rs 300 for my bike. Attendant showed zero and the cashier diverted my attention to rear wheel. I looked at the rear wheel and immediate guessed its a trap and saw the meter.It was showing 100. I started complaining and giving earful and attendant said sorry and stopped at 200. He said he has filled 100+200 = 300. Now i know i have been cheated again. I have read same experience on this bunk in this forum. Please beware of this bunk.

These guys are trying to cash-in on our ignorance or the work pressure. Better to be very alert.

Vj
vbnadgir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:29   #109
BHPian

I had a similar experience while filling up my bike. I had asked to tank up and the guy fills 2 liters first and stops. Says he thought i said 2 liters. Then he continues without resetting and the reading goes up to 9L. Now he adds 9L + 2L and says i have to pay for 11L. Tried telling him that he didnt reset etc but he was acting arrogant.
Just called up the supervisor and explained this to him and calmly pulled out the bike manual which i had carried (returing from service centre) and showed him that the max filling capacity of my tank itself was 9L and asked him to explain how 11L can go in. The attendant quickly changed tactic and took money for only 9L.
Anyway, now that we know how the operators are, its up to us to ensure we pay attention while filling. End of the day, doesnt matter who is right or wrong, if we arent careful, we lose.
harishsegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:43   #110
BHPian

Default My experience

I prob was cheated a few times before my cousin pointed out this to me. Petrol bunk on the LB road, Chennai they start from ZERO , then a guy distracts you an offer or questioning you and the guy at the pump cuts the fuel resets the meter and punches 500. Few seconds later the guy says 500 filled in, you are happy to leave with the bill.

Another incident happened this time i caught the guys red handed, filling up in Guindy opp to the old Concord motors showroom. I am standing out watching the meter when it started at ZERO, hand over the credit card to the cashier. With around 145 on the meter the cashier asks me for my PIN number, am stunned and turned for a conversation. He signalled, the guy at the pump cut the meter, was typing in 1000 and I realised the trick i fell to. Turned back to face the meter and the cashier is shouting Vendam (Dont). I took both the guys to the manager , gave them a mouth full.

The manager seemed a nice guy who tried to sort out things and warn the fellow. But you may never know !

I believe BP bunks have to produce invoice from the pump machine, else dont have to pay for the fuel.
haithereitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:48   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
I believe BP bunks have to produce invoice from the pump machine, else dont have to pay for the fuel.
Yes most good fuel pumps have printouts of the actual fuel consumed, the rate and the total price for the fuel. I have seen this in all SHELL pumps and some IOC and HP pumps. I always prefer such pumps.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:20   #112
BHPian

Default HP Pump churchgate cheats

This happened a couple of years ago. I normally only fill petrol at the Napeansea road pump, however, my Ikon was low on fuel so I went to the closest one - HP, churchgate, near Ritz hotel. I normally always get a full tank so I asked the guy to fill her up. I even checked the 0 meter on starting. However, when the meter crossed 50 liters i was really surprised. Finally the pump guy stopped filling at 55 liters. I told him that it was not possible for so much fuel to go into an Ikon as it has a tank of 45 liters and there must have been 10 liters in the tank from before. I asked to see the manager/owner of the pump. Some parsi guy who was apparently the owner came out and told me the car must have been completely empty so some more fuel goes into the pipes and the engine so its possible to put 55 liters in an Ikon!

Knowing a bit about cars I told him that it was not possible. Things began heating up and finally he threatened me that if i want to take my car out of the pump i will have to pay up. I paid up and left and wrote a complaint to HP and even made a police complaint. HP sent someone to investigate the matter to my office. The lady heard my complaint and took down the details so I hoped that they would take some action in the matter. However, a few days later i got a letter from HP saying they had investigated the matter and according to them there was no cheating by the pump. Which means according to them it is possible to put 55 liters of petrol in a 45 liter tank!!

Anyway, from that day i avoid that cheating pump and warn everyone I know about their crooked ways.
manishk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:27   #113
Senior - BHPian

^^ You checked the meter reset to zero right ? So how come an error of 10 ltrs occured ?
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:36   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
I prob was cheated a few times before my cousin pointed out this to me. Petrol bunk on the LB road, Chennai they start from ZERO , then a guy distracts you an offer or questioning you and the guy at the pump cuts the fuel resets the meter and punches 500. Few seconds later the guy says 500 filled in, you are happy to leave with the bill.

Another incident happened this time i caught the guys red handed, filling up in Guindy opp to the old Concord motors showroom. I am standing out watching the meter when it started at ZERO, hand over the credit card to the cashier. With around 145 on the meter the cashier asks me for my PIN number, am stunned and turned for a conversation. He signalled, the guy at the pump cut the meter, was typing in 1000 and I realised the trick i fell to. Turned back to face the meter and the cashier is shouting Vendam (Dont). I took both the guys to the manager , gave them a mouth full.

The manager seemed a nice guy who tried to sort out things and warn the fellow. But you may never know !

Be wary of filling up at this pump.I was once cheated Rs 300 worth of fuel.
Raajiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:48   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Yes most good fuel pumps have printouts of the actual fuel consumed, the rate and the total price for the fuel. I have seen this in all SHELL pumps and some IOC and HP pumps. I always prefer such pumps.
While Shell ALWAYS gives me a bill this way, many other PSU pumps, in spite of havint the equipment, don't give out the receipts this way. I'v just made a complain to the BPCL toll free number. I suggest others also do this when they notice it.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:54   #116
Senior - BHPian

The HPCL bunk on 3rd Avenue, Annanagar, Chennai always gives an e-receipt that's directly printed from the machine. I have never been cheated there till now.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:04   #117
BHPian

Two lousy experiences a few days back, and both were at HP pumps. One in Seshadripuram opp, Natraj Theatre and the other at Sadashivnagar, Next to Cauvery theatre. Be very careful. Both seemed to try and pull the same type of stunt!

I drove in and asked for fuel worth Rs.500. Immediately, 2 more guys,a cashier and another helper surround you asking stuff like windscreen wash, cash or credit card, livemint card and in the meantime if you are not watching and pay the money, the filler says 'zero' and starts to fill up for Rs.200 and shuts it. One time he even said the tanks full!

Since I always step out of the car and don't take my eye off the meter, nor pay them till the fuel is filled I manage not to get suckered into it.

Seems like they try their luck on unsuspecting folks and hope that they get away with quite a bit of the cash and if they do get caught, they say 'sorry saar heard it as 200 and not 500', and then they fill up the remainder or try resetting the meter!

Please watch out and don't let anyone rush you into paying up , etc!

Last edited by pranava999 : 3rd September 2009 at 16:09.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:10   #118
BHPian

Default When filling your tank, ask the attendant to take hands of the pump. Use the lock.

Yes, he's right. And I've heard from a Pump Owner also. I didn't get the exact technical answer, but I'm convinced with his answer.

When you ask for 10 litres of fuel. The attendant while filling breaks intermittantly or (stop and go) and he starts this from 5-7 litres itself. So, each time he stops the pump, the fuel cuts off, but the meter will run for a fraction. So, the more stops, the more fractions.

And at the end of the day, the pump attendants may end up saving atleast 25-50 litres of Fuel. The Cash is settled on the basis of another meter, where the difference of opening balance and closing balance is the actual amount the Cashier pays to the Owner.

There will be a lock along with the lever to open the nozzle. This can be used when the amount or No. of litres is entered in the display or can be used as a Air lock when you're filling Full Tank.

So, when the lock is used then the Fuel comes out evenly and stops at exactly at the pre-filled amount. (Slow and steady).
jaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 18:32   #119
BHPian

Now I only prefer Indian Oil. On every refill I used to get a tank full done from HP at Ashram intersection. On several refills have noticed drop in FE hence tried for a different pump.

41lts. and complete tank full from Indian Oil. Drove for a week and half and headed for the same HP pump as it was the on the way back home.

Now the show starts. Asked the the guy for a tank full and checked for 0. Meanwhile, a helper came over with a wiper and asked me if I would want the windsheild to be cleaned for free. Agreed and went to check if he is doing his job right.

Suddenly noticed the other guy swapping the hose. When asked why the hose was changed, he said the machine is not working right. But it was the same machine with a different hose. Argued with him for a while and insisted him to use the previous hose, so that I can get my peace of mind.

Guess what!! Right!! it was working absolutely perfect. When asked him how did it work now, said fault was intermittent.

Huh!! Very smart.
funkydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:55   #120
BHPian

Default Add a few more

Folks

One gas station that needs to be added to "black listed" list is the BP one on 8th in Malleshwaram. They try all tricks to distract you.

The one I prefer filling is in Jalahalli. Fantastic IOC outlet. Very honest folks and courteous. I get the best mileage whenever I fill there.

Cheers

Sateesh
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote