Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th September 2009, 06:34   #121
BHPian

Never go to the following pump:

HP Fuel Pump, near Kamakshi Hospital, next to Flyover, Pallikkaranai, Chennai

Today morning these fellows tried to deceive me and I caught them red hand.

Morning 8AM, I gone to this pump to fill up my Bike, I was the only customer at that time.

Two fellows in uniform were in the pump. They asked me to advance the bike more than the regular pump vision level so that the meter will be in my back. That time itself I felt little bit fishy at their behavior. I opened the lid and requested for Rs.350/- unleaded. One fellow started to fill up.

Soon the second fellow (who looks like a gunda) tried to distract my attention as follows:

HP Employee : Sir, Is it Card or Cash?
Me : Card
HP Employee : Is it Visa or Master?

I didnt answer, Soon I turned by head the meter. To my surprise, the other fellow somehow stopped the pump and trying to reset the meter to Rs.350/- But I saw the last figure was Rs.241/- for a second. Since he couldn't do it successfully, the meter gone to zero.

I asked him : What he was trying to do?

He was totally blushed. The other fellow said, Sir the pump got some power problem and got switched off. (But there was no power failures, as other power equipments are working)

I managed the temper and asked to fill up the balance.

Soon the other fellow again set the pump for a balance Rs.109/- and filled the petrol.

Friends, please avoid this notorious pump. I am planning to launch a complaint with HP. I don't know whether it is going to have any effect.
sunil8089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 09:14   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

@sunil8089: This is not an isolated incident. Also I understand that many of the bosses are also on the take. Do you think that the racket(s) in LPG are not known to them, and that they can do nothing about it.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 23:59   #123
BHPian

Yes sgitk, I agree with you. I think some awareness campaign have be done by government for the public.

Also government should make it mandatory to put some display boards in all these pumps to the customers saying:

"Watch meter readings while you fill fuel."
"Ensure zero before the filling fuel"
sunil8089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 02:33   #124
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know about the HP pump near Mantralaya, Mumbai?
We regularly get our car filled from there, and when I go to fill with the driver standing, the F.E. is always more than when the driver goes alone.
I don't know if it the driver who is stealing the fuel, or the pump attendants.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 12:02   #125
BHPian

My Mother was Duped of Rs 200 today morning at the Jain Petrol Pump (IOB) at New Rohtak Road, Karol Bagh, New Delhi.
It was the same old trick of first Rs 200 and then the balance 800/- without resetting.She told me what happened i.e they filled 200 and then 800.
She didn't know weather the meter was reset.i immediately realized the trick they must have played.
went back there after 1/2 hour and they most willingly put the remaing Rs.200.
Not more the 1 minute of argument happened.
aviral2122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 15:27   #126
BHPian

Hi,
The following are some of the COCO petrol pumps for Bombay suburbs:

HP : 97, SV Road, Vile Parle West, Tel : 26176010
IOC : opp. cigarette factory, near the cargo terminal of the international airport in Chakala, Tel : 28396405

I'll check out if these folks are honest or not...

Uptil now, I've been going to the IOC pump at the domestic airport...and getting 10kmpl in suburb driving and 14 kmpl in highway driving for my new Jetta (1.9TDI with six speed DSG).
Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 16:44   #127
BHPian

Another bunk which is known to do this is the IOC petrol bunk opposite Virtusa building in 100ft road, Chennai. It's the typical stop in the middle and continue without resetting trick.

I had a tough argument with guys there. They were very arrogant and said, if you a complaint, report to the authorities. Someday i will plan a sting operation on them for sure.

How easy or difficult would it be to have a fuel meter which gives out exact digital litre readings from the fuel tank? It would definitely be a nice to have feature even if its an aftermarket accesory.
grules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 18:07   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
Another bunk which is known to do this is the IOC petrol bunk opposite Virtusa building in 100ft road, Chennai. It's the typical stop in the middle and continue without resetting trick.
Guys, remember to make them repeat the amount you ask for. I always do that. They feel embarrased or sometimes irritated but gives them a feeling that we are alert.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 22:11   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Guys, remember to make them repeat the amount you ask for. I always do that. They feel embarrased or sometimes irritated but gives them a feeling that we are alert.
Better still, drive off once they stop in between. Fill up the remainder elsewhere.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 07:43   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Better still, drive off once they stop in between. Fill up the remainder elsewhere.
Yeah, HP pump guys on Thippasandra Main road tried to do the same 200+800 trick with me (that too in my brand new car and first filling:-) ).

I did not argue just paid 800 and drove off.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 10:06   #131
Senior - BHPian

How good are Club HP bunks in general? They are supposed to be better than ordinary HP bunks in Q&Q matters.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 10:32   #132
Senior - BHPian

I had an idea for the shortchanging during filling .. always carry a transparent plastic 5 ltr jerry can and ask them to fill diesel/petrol in that directly. Also mark the 5 liter mark prominently on the outside of the can.

In this way any misdemeanour by repeated use of nozzle for shortchanging can be easily made visible.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 10:41   #133
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
How good are Club HP bunks in general? They are supposed to be better than ordinary HP bunks in Q&Q matters.
Gansan, Honestly, I don't think there is any difference. In the past i've noticed that normal HP bunks offer much better service than the Club HP outlets.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 10:43   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I had an idea for the shortchanging during filling .. always carry a transparent plastic 5 ltr jerry can and ask them to fill diesel/petrol in that directly. Also mark the 5 liter mark prominently on the outside of the can.
Good enough if you have the time and patience. The bunk guys look treat people with bottles and cans like third rate customers coz they have measurable containers with them and cannot cheat these customers. Beside one would have a tough time filling the car through a can.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 16th September 2009 at 10:45.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 10:45   #135
JVH
Senior - BHPian

I never faced any problems with an HP bunk so far. I only fill up at Shell or HP. Indian Oil experience has also been good.

BP is the one where I have been cheated several times. I've stopped going there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote