Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 01:01   #16
BHPian
 
dhaval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 404
Thanked: Once
Default

I forgot, the Aveo is not only to compete against Fiesta but also the SX4 and the Linea whenever it is launched. And it is said that SX4 will get a 1.9 Mjd and even the Linea(hope this news is true, for both) so i doubt that GM will settle for anything less if they want to stay in the competition.
As far as the Fiesta 1.4 duratorq is concerned, as you say may be the 1.3 MJD is better!
dhaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 08:39   #17
BHPian
 
BurningHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 427
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Aveo sedan will not get any styling changes mostly as that model is still pretty new and recently launched in other markets including the US of A

the UV_A will get the new look.. and mostly both the cars will get 1.3MJd.
True. Unlike for the Kalos hatch, there is no revised styling yet for the sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And I'm wondering why Magnum didnt take off, inspite of being an excellent package. Guess GM is delaying things too far!

With Swift having waiting periods, U-VA stands a good chance. Hope GM acts fast.
@ Crazy: its my guess that the nose job of Magnum was a let down but then people don't really worry about cosmetic surgery, do they? And I guess, there is also the news that Optra has been around for long enough and it may be due for replacement. Its always quite complex with the cars from Indian stable of GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That rumour was about the new facelift, which has already happened a few days ago. But the engine changes were not as expected and there is no 1.6 diesel.
There still may be a delayed launch of 1.6. There was someone on this forum whose cousin was a highly placed marketing exec at Ford India. Can the man get us the news we're waiting for?

So net net, this is going to be an opportunity lost for GM (again!).

BH.
BurningHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 09:25   #18
BHPian
 
AirWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 808
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Yes they are I think. All Auto Mags & Car Shows say that they will launch it. I do not see any reason why they would not.

I think it is a stunner and should be a hit unlike its Petrol counterpart, which I simply fail to understand why it never took off.
IMHO, the Aveo is infact a nice all round package (styling, space, etc.,), but didnt really take off due to being a PETROL, un-enthusiastic engine+gearbox (both 1.4 & 1.6), GM brand value (pricing inconsistencies), perceived A.S.S, poor NCAP safety rating (not sure if car buyers really attach an importance though) & resale.
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 14:39   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 136
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

I agree with AirWind on that.

In fact I believe there are two kind of buyers. General buyers with general car requirement of a car with a specific budget in mind follow the heard mentaility and go for a popular choice. Here the popular brands/cars edge out like NHC,SX4. Other buyers (mostly found at TBhp) have very specific requirement and Aveo being an overall complete package but lacking that extra punch as in Verna(Diesel), Fiesta. Also, the VFM proposition for Aveo is only just when you compare it with other cars in its segment. So even it being a good car doesnt score much after all consideration. Also, the GM badge and its ***, resale value, change of models( as it happen so often for GM cars) hasnt helped its case.

In fact if Aveo has to have a Diesel engine it can work wonders for GM and particularly for Aveo sales numbers which can help Aveo (petrol) branding as well. Hopefully GM wake up to this requirement sooner than later.

PS: The opinion give above is totally based on my limited exposure to automobiles and not directed to any of the car owners and co-TBhpians.
WheelWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 14:51   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
MaserQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,156
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
I forgot, the Aveo is not only to compete against Fiesta but also the SX4 and the Linea whenever it is launched. And it is said that SX4 will get a 1.9 Mjd and even the Linea(hope this news is true, for both) so i doubt that GM will settle for anything less if they want to stay in the competition.
As far as the Fiesta 1.4 duratorq is concerned, as you say may be the 1.3 MJD is better!
You forgot to mention the Verna. Now, if customers bought cars based only on horse power and torque figures, the Verna would win hands down. Buyers look at other factors like fuel efficiency, comfort/refinement, A.S.S, word-of-mouth and user reviews.

There is also the option of a VGT version of the said 1.3 diesel which may/may not be offered in the SX4/Aveo/Linea.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 20:43   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

A diesel will take an almost perfect car and turn it into a perfect one. Its got killer looks, awesome interior and awesome ride quality and legroom in the back. I hope they can replace that clunky gearshift also.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 21:15   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,164
Thanked: 464 Times
Post Diesel Aveo would be a killer

The Aveo already has good looks, nice interiors and interior space.

Is it possible that the diesel aveo can come with a 90bhp engine close to 6.75 lakhs?

I'm waiting patiently for the Grande Punto, but it seems like ever.. Will the Diesel Aveo come before october or november?
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 21:39   #23
BHPian
 
ankit.jhamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: new delhi
Posts: 574
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
The Aveo already has good looks, nice interiors and interior space.

Is it possible that the diesel aveo can come with a 90bhp engine close to 6.75 lakhs?

I'm waiting patiently for the Grande Punto, but it seems like ever.. Will the Diesel Aveo come before october or november?

if you are waiting for the grande punto then,i think by that time there will be some announcement,because of festive season..if it is announced then you wait for some more days,right?
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 12:46   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 388
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
IMHO, the Aveo is infact a nice all round package (styling, space, etc.,), but didnt really take off due to being a PETROL, un-enthusiastic engine+gearbox (both 1.4 & 1.6), GM brand value (pricing inconsistencies), perceived A.S.S, poor NCAP safety rating (not sure if car buyers really attach an importance though) & resale.
This thought stayed with me. But you know what, I seem to notice a lot more Aveos these days on the road in bangalore these days. Also, I work in ITPL and notice a lot of Aveos parked. Is it just me or have the sales of Aveo increased considerably?
sridharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 15:04   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
This thought stayed with me. But you know what, I seem to notice a lot more Aveos these days on the road in bangalore these days. Also, I work in ITPL and notice a lot of Aveos parked. Is it just me or have the sales of Aveo increased considerably?
I am not sure if it has increased considerably. But, yes I too see many Aveo's around here. May be the only sales for Aveo is in bangalore
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 15:10   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,709
Thanked: 89,162 Times
Default

I can't fathom why GM doesn't use the Fiat 1.3 multijet for the Aveo. In fact, they even paid toward its development costs and have open access toward using that engine. An outsider like Maruti has gone ahead and launched the car....heck, they are sitting on 3 month waiting lists.

Or maybe the Indian market is not too important for GM?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 15:31   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 388
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
May be the only sales for Aveo is in bangalore
Yeah, looks like it! I just checked the domestic sales sheet and the numbers for Aveo don't look too good. May be, Bangalore has a disproportionate share of the Aveo sales..or may be, our sample size is wrong!!
sridharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 16:32   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
MaserQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,156
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

Going by what a diesel option and a cosmetic upgrade did for the Optra, GM would do well to bring the face lifted Aveo/U-VA with that 1.3 MJD, as quick as they can!
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 16:27   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 317
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I can't fathom why GM doesn't use the Fiat 1.3 multijet for the Aveo. In fact, they even paid toward its development costs and have open access toward using that engine. An outsider like Maruti has gone ahead and launched the car....heck, they are sitting on 3 month waiting lists.

Or maybe the Indian market is not too important for GM?
neither does GM worry about the Indian market, nor do its dealers bother about the customer. very sad state of affairs for GM. After they killed the opel, i dont have the confidence that they will continue supporting a vehicle after a few years.
bharanidharang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bridgestone Turanza AR-20 - Launching soon in India Rehaan Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 36 29th September 2017 09:08
Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs! GTO The Indian Car Scene 212 28th July 2017 14:01
Rumour: VW Jetta facelift launching soon in India *EDIT: launched!* sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 111 18th February 2015 13:04
Fiat Launching Linea 1.6 Soon! raghavv The Indian Car Scene 261 30th October 2009 19:18
Aveo vs Verna EDIT: Bought Aveo an10 Sedans 82 8th April 2008 17:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks