Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2008, 18:03   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: pune
Posts: 2,088
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

What lame excuses!

There are host of other cars which are better built and offer better safety than Hondas (including pedestrian safety). Talk of pedestrian safety when you can't even ensure passenger safety (read No ABS/Air bags)!

Hopefully, Honda fan boys will look beyond Honda some day.
RX135 is offline  
Old 2nd July 2008, 18:15   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Hopefully, Honda fan boys will look beyond Honda some day.
Now I think you are asking for too much but there's no harm in hoping

I mean really, now I have to swallow the fact that a 40-50 k repair bill is "OK" after hitting a cycle. We heard the same thing when a City hit a bike in Mumbai (was it somewhere in the Pali hill area, I forget?). So - initial high cost of acquisition, thereafter really low cost of routine maintenance but God help you if you hit a cycle! But its OK because its a Honda?

Last edited by suman : 2nd July 2008 at 18:16.
suman is offline  
Old 2nd July 2008, 18:18   #108
BHPian
 
mayjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 180
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Modern cars have introduced seat belt pretensioners which then sense the accident as the rear starts to crumple tighten the seat belt so you are held in your seat and not flung forward. Similarly headrest position plays a critical role in reducing whiplash injury
Actually if you are hit from the rear, the tendency of the body is to be pushed back, not forward (due to inertia). That's why the head gets thrown back, resulting in the whiplash injury, hence the inappropriately titled 'headrests' - they are not for resting our heads, they are a safety feature.
mayjay is offline  
Old 2nd July 2008, 18:29   #109
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Since this premise is untrue, what followed would constitute as 'baseless'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I mean really, now I have to swallow the fact that a 40-50 k repair bill is "OK" after hitting a cycle.
diabloo is offline  
Old 2nd July 2008, 18:44   #110
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Since this premise is untrue, what followed would constitute as 'baseless'.
Does it really matter... I am sure it wont be less than 30k's under any circumstance.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 2nd July 2008, 18:44   #111
BHPian
 
prince85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 967
Thanked: 84 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Now I think you are asking for too much but there's no harm in hoping

I mean really, now I have to swallow the fact that a 40-50 k repair bill is "OK" after hitting a cycle. We heard the same thing when a City hit a bike in Mumbai (was it somewhere in the Pali hill area, I forget?). So - initial high cost of acquisition, thereafter really low cost of routine maintenance but God help you if you hit a cycle! But its OK because its a Honda?
Suman, i guess you are talking about the incident in Mumbai where our fellow bhpian IndianDawg's NHC VTEC was handed over an estimated repair cost of Rs.4L after meeting with an accident with a Bajaj Pulsar Here is the link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ccident-4.html (My Honda City ZX Vtec Accident)
prince85 is offline  
Old 2nd July 2008, 18:47   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Suman, i guess you are talking about the incident in Mumbai where our fellow bhpian IndianDawg's NHC VTEC was handed over an estimated repair cost of Rs.4L after meeting with an accident with a Bajaj Pulsar Here is the link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ccident-4.html (My Honda City ZX Vtec Accident)
Hey, thanks mate, yes, that's the one I was referring to. How are you these days by the way, long time no hear?
suman is offline  
Old 2nd July 2008, 18:59   #113
BHPian
 
prince85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 967
Thanked: 84 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Hey, thanks mate, yes, that's the one I was referring to. How are you these days by the way, long time no hear?
Yea i know, long time na? Well i just like to pop my head up suddenly when i see something interesting being discussed. BTW suman sir, this thread about crumple zones is really educating me a lot concerning car safety

Last edited by prince85 : 2nd July 2008 at 19:02.
prince85 is offline  
Old 2nd July 2008, 19:26   #114
BHPian
 
sj_koova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 600
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

After seeing all other related threads, I feel NHC is so consistent in getting crushed even hitting a smallest object on road. Does this mean that NHC has the best crumple zone in India.
These are the stories of hitting a bike or bicycle. But most other cases of collision with equal sized vehicles, NHC passengers are seriously injured or dead.
There was another thread sometime back about the NHC running over a stone led to serious damage to the car costing around 60K to repair.
If Honda is serious about this crushing approach on their cars, even an Accord should be crushed the same way as it does on NHC. But I do not think it is true with Civic and above.
I still doubt. Have they (Honda) done this for good on NHC. Something strange.
sj_koova is online now  
Old 2nd July 2008, 19:33   #115
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

I request members to go through this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...iesta-nhc.html (Spares Cost : Aveo/Baleno/Fiesta/NHC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Does it really matter... I am sure it wont be less than 30k's under any circumstance.
diabloo is offline  
Old 2nd July 2008, 19:49   #116
Senior - BHPian
 
asr245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,135
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Suman, i guess you are talking about the incident in Mumbai where our fellow bhpian IndianDawg's NHC VTEC was handed over an estimated repair cost of Rs.4L after meeting with an accident with a Bajaj Pulsar Here is the link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ccident-4.html (My Honda City ZX Vtec Accident)
A bike weighing around 130-140kgs + the weight of 2 occupants (which must another 130-140kgs) doing 80-100kmph is likely to cause a lot of damage to any car. If at that speed the passengers of the car came out safe, I will say the car is safe. It's the bill which is ridiculus and makes me re-think my decision to go for city (waiting for the 3GHC).

BTW... speed is more important than weight. AFAIK, K.E. = (1/2)mv^2 so impact by a 130kg bike doing 100kmph is same as a 1000kg object hitting the car at roughly 36-37kmph (if my calculations are right).
asr245 is offline  
Old 2nd July 2008, 19:55   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
A bike weighing around 130-140kgs + the weight of 2 occupants (which must another 130-140kgs) doing 80-100kmph is likely to cause a lot of damage to any car. If at that speed the passengers of the car came out safe, I will say the car is safe. It's the bill which is ridiculus and makes me re-think my decision to go for city (waiting for the 3GHC).

BTW... speed is more important than weight. AFAIK, K.E. = (1/2)mv^2 so impact by a 130kg bike doing 100kmph is same as a 1000kg object hitting the car at roughly 36-37kmph (if my calculations are right).
That will be true in case of a head on collision with a stationary object. Talking abt the collision with the bike, a lot of the force is dissipated while transfering momentum. Besides a 4 lakh rupee repair bill after colliding with a bike.... who are they kidding with the crumple zone BS?
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 2nd July 2008, 19:58   #118
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Those spare costs are misguiding. pre-2006 baleno tail lamp costs Rs. 702 and 2006 baleno costs Rs. 9738, difference of Rs.9036. What kind of tail lamp they fitted in 2006. Let's hear from Baleno owners.
gopinathann is offline  
Old 2nd July 2008, 20:04   #119
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

  1. In an accident of similar impacts, does NHC suffer more compared to other cars for its price?
  2. If 2 cars have similar damages, does NHC cost more to repair?
Answer to these questions is no.

Cars of some manufacturers can be repaired by non-dealers, like MASS and enjoy slightly lesser cost. Except this there is no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
It's the bill which is ridiculus and makes me re-think my decision to go for city (waiting for the 3GHC).
Note: For these unfortunate accidents, you will have to claim insurance and thats what the insurance is meant for. This is true for all cars.

Last edited by diabloo : 2nd July 2008 at 20:05.
diabloo is offline  
Old 2nd July 2008, 20:20   #120
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
  1. In an accident of similar impacts, does NHC suffer more compared to other cars for its price?
  2. If 2 cars have similar damages, does NHC cost more to repair?
Answer to these questions is no.
After going through this whole thread no one will accept Answer
gopinathann is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An 8 wheel electric car that puts Enzo to shame. v12 The International Automotive Scene 13 8th February 2010 22:35
McLaren - What a shame! madhav Int'l Motorsport 30 6th January 2008 23:19
Franck Montagny to be replaced... Shame on Super Aguri. ranjan united Int'l Motorsport 1 14th July 2006 15:56
Malaysia's Online 'Hall of Shame' to catch traffic offenders tabrez02 Shifting gears 1 21st July 2005 11:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks