Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What's your take on Odd & Even traffic?
Yes this will make my life easy 2 2.70%
Somewhat my life may get easy 7 9.46%
No this will make my life hell 65 87.84%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th August 2008, 12:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

1. Make sure pedestrians walk on pavements
2. Buses should stop in the extreme left lane, as close to the bus-stop pavements as possible. All bus movements from bus stops should not be "bully-ish"
3. Autos and bikes should have separate lanes in suburbs
4. Lane cutting should be strictly fined
5. Black taxis (slowest on roads) should either be asked to stick to left lane or keep speed with the rest of the traffic

Imagine, South Bombay does not have a problem with Autos (banned), bikes (low population) - problems are only in suburbs. Building skywalks at railway stations (with moving platforms) can disgorge crowds from stations and restrict/ disperse autos and personal vehicles.

Needless to say, there are 100s of traffic planning ideas, but then if "congestion taxes" and "Odd/Even" rules are not introduced, how will the Govt fund its ever-increasing deficits (because of swindling of public money and inefficiency) and the cops increase their hafta budgets?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 14:44   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

In fact if we drive a bit more responsibly and within rules, more than 40% of the traffic woes will be solved.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...iots-road.html (On this Day Lord, Give me independence from the other idiots on the road)
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 17:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

Does our government know what is the main cause of traffic jams on our roads? In my humble opinion, these are the reasons and how to tackle congestion.

1.) Poor roads. Give us pothole free roads and traffic will move much faster. Responsiblity for this lies with the government.

2.) Proper road design. Why have a mall when the road outside is a 2 lane narrow side road? Why not have roads with proper signs? Keep pavements free of hawkers so that pedestrians can walk on them instead of walking on the leftmost lane which in turn results in buses halting in the middle lane which in turn leaves a 3 lane road into a one lane one. Responsiblity, again, lies with the government.

Because of bad roads and absolutely no proper road design, it takes me 1.30 hours to drive 20 kms from downtown Mumbai to Chembur. That's an average speed of 13kmph in the financial capital of the one of the world's fastest growing economies in the year 2008. Compared to that it takes me 1.15 hours to drive from Chembur to Lonavla which is a distance of 90+kms. If there ever was a statement for expressway's this is it. The savings in fuel are at the moment not even being considered.

3.) I live in Chembur. If I want to drive to Borivli, I have to drive through sion, dharavi, bandra etc etc. If a truck leaves the Wadala truck terminal for Surat, he will take the same route. Unless there is a expressway bypassing suburbs and cities our cities will be permanantly congested. Guess whose responsiblity this is? Government.

4.) In which other city of the world do you see empty taxi's roaming around at 30kmph on the roads looking for passengers? In which other country of the world do you see taxi's parked in the leftmost lane on a 3 lane road waiting for passengers? If a 'call a taxi / Auto' scheme is started, 20% of our traffic problems will get solved. But, why talk to the unions? The easier way out is to come out with such 'brilliant' rules and penalise private car owners since we don't have a union.

5.) Some of us are suggesting congestion tax like London. The London transport authorities started improving public transit 5 years before the levy of congestion charge. Let the government here do something similar and I will gladly leave my car at home and commute to work.

Lastly, the government and half of Mumbai is proudly waiting for the grand Bandra-Worli sea link to open in 2009. It's being showcased as the among the best infrastructure projects taken up to decongest Mumbai roads. May I know what's going to happen at Worli when cars exit from the sealink? Why is it that a layman like me can see the disaster waiting to happen but these IIT engineers can't?
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 17:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Nope. I will not recommend this. We cannot afford this in India. If the drivers follow the proper discipline, cops ensure that all the people whoever it is follow the traffic rules, then this is not required.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 17:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

Amit i 100% agree with your points,If Mumbaites living in suburbs have noticed in last 1year,there is imense growth in the autorickshaw's and all young chaps not even 16-17 are riding passengers here and there near the station area's,and its a killer to take your car near the station roads,in Andheri-kurla road,they had made good 90feet roads which traffic from 90% became to 10% and at any-given time of the day roads used to be empty,now they have started the Metro work,which i see is shut down and have seen no work happening from past 2months,both the sides the roads are getting broken day by day,gutter/sever covers are cracking and almost everyday i see some or the other vehicle getting stuck up in the gaps.

DO WE ACTUALLY REQUIRE THE METRO????

I cannot understand for what are we paying the Taxes,my work place is exact 10kms from my home and it takes me 1.10hr. everyday including more than 7-signals,above that we have beggers begging around everywhere in the morning.

Is there anyway where we can send this link to any prime-minister/president or any person who is at the level for handling the infracture of India?Our city is getting worst day by day with alot of outsiders coming in,for a while i think Mr.Raj T is doing a good job by bashing the outsiders and throwing them out.

Last edited by ramie2400 : 19th August 2008 at 17:52.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 17:52   #51
Team-BHP Support

Ramie: I hope you dont really mean the last line in your post.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 18:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Ramie: I hope you dont really mean the last line in your post.
Well in certain cases yess and in certain cases no.By this you might have got it what i actually meant.But this the fact we seriously need it.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 18:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Is there anyway where we can send this link to any prime-minister/president or any person who is at the level for handling the infracture of India?Our city is getting worst day by day with alot of outsiders coming in,for a while i think Mr.Raj T is doing a good job by bashing the outsiders and throwing them out.
No sir there is no way we can send this link to PM or anyone. Atleast for now theres nothing we can do.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 18:48   #54
BHPian

Cycles, man. No pollution, no traffic snarls, no fuel bills and you get fit !!!
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 19:24   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Cycles, man. No pollution, no traffic snarls, no fuel bills and you get fit !!!
That means EVERYONE must get onto bicycles, I regularly walk from my house at Worli to Dadar for work, my shoes get dirty, its an all through obstacle course, with something or the other being dug up, there are stray dogs everywhere, and so much smoke, it gives me a sore throat the next day, despite the fact that this region is not as polluted as most of the other parts of the city, to have Bicycles as a mode of transport, we need to have seperate cycle lanes, like they have in europe, old polluting vehicles being phased out, and a proper PUC system.

like amit said, the main trouble is the quality of the roads.
the attitude of the people: If you are driving, you'll see pedestrians coming out onto the road and waiting to wipe your car clean with thier stomachs, there is no respect either ways between the driver and the pedestrian.

we should have a better public transport system, its not that the BEST is bad, or the WR is bad, they might not be the best in the world, but they are capable of moving a good amount of people quite efficiently, the trick here is the inter-connectivity, you should be able to catch a bus and reach the station exactly in time for the train, there is too much of disconnection there. you spend a lot of time in between transport just waiting.

Now back to cars, as long as drivers are being "Taught" how to drive in driving schools like a mugging exercise, and being given licenses without a test, the traffic situation will never improve, the problem here is more with the pupils, who have no patience to learn, even if it takes time, also they feel rules and laws are irrelevant. My father taught me how to drive over a year, with all kinds of roads, situations and cars, including all the rules of the road, it shocks me to see how some of my friends drive compared to me.

India doesn't really have a traffic problem, the problem is with the attitude, everything CAN be done its whether you WANT to do it.
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 19:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
Now back to cars, as long as drivers are being "Taught" how to drive in driving schools like a mugging exercise, and being given licenses without a test, the traffic situation will never improve, the problem here is more with the pupils, who have no patience to learn, even if it takes time, also they feel rules and laws are irrelevant. My father taught me how to drive over a year, with all kinds of roads, situations and cars, including all the rules of the road, it shocks me to see how some of my friends drive compared to me.
I agree. Its easier to learn "driving". But driving responsibly is what to be learnt. If the roads are maintained really good, then guys drive in crazy speed.
Anyway, as other pointed out, we can't correct the roads. But we can drive properly. So, lets concentrate on what WE can handle and make the best out of it.
Just my 2 cents.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 20:21   #57
BHPian

BAN all vehicles that has ODD number of wheels.

DUH!
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 20:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
BAN all vehicles that has ODD number of wheels.

DUH!
Man perfect choice.

Hope Auto is not modded to have a wheel at the back like safari
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 20:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

Rather than this, I guess the following would serve better.

1) Improve the public mode of transportation to limits acceptable for even Merc owners to use - Buses, Trains, Metro...
2) Reduce / Restrict the number of Autorickshaws / Taxis
3) Provide / Reserve separate space for Pedestrians (Footpath, wither went thou?!) and Cyclists - maybe an elevated / under the ground passage.
4) Segrate all roads into lanes for fast moving and slow moving traffic, and for heavy vehicles, and impose minimum and maximum speed restrictions
5) Arrest jay-walkers, lane-crossers (w/o proper signaling), slow / fast drivers
6) Provide fly-overs at all junctions (at least where longest wait time exceeds 60 seconds)

Just a few I can think of...
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 11:02   #60
BHPian

We can have any number of excuses and lay the blame on the government and the faceless users of roads to escape any inconvenience to ourselves.

Though I jokingly suggested the usage of cycles, there are any number of reasons coming up for not using it in our traffic, climate and environmental conditions. If roads are good, then the accidents go up. Especially with respect to highways. If everyone drives sensibly .....I always drive sensibly, it is only the other users who think I dont.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote