Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2008, 17:11   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,798
Thanked: 745 Times
Default

GM has been losing market share for 4 decades now. Have they hurt themselves with this rebadging? Not outside India where they are not beloved anyway. Inside India? Maybe but perhaps they are getting something to offset the problem, a cheap auto parts supplier for some application, perhaps?
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 17:30   #17
BHPian
 
arajand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 59
Thanked: Once
Default

At the least, I can see two problems with the situation

One with the Chevy name, image and the vehicles they are selling. There is a disconnect, a misfiring. As if the brand-image was connected to reality in reverse polarity. This is most evident in the Chevy Tavera. It is least felt in the Optra.

Second is the Spark situation. I think GM wanted to launch a small car to acquire a foothold in markets as ours quickly, but the end result is something else. People look at the Spark and are reminded immediately of the Matiz, and thereby Daewoo-a flop company. They then think GM is selling them a old platform from a flop company in a new name. Chevy is carrying the failure tag of Daewoo around its neck in the form of the Spark. Because the other Daewoo platforms are/were less well known, whereas the Spark is somewhat ubiquitous at every street corner. Why?

Companies like Honda and Toyota have a much better presence in India in comparison. Sure, they don't sell small cars and one might argue that they would gladly jump into the small car market. But both companies have limited models which are hugely successful in their segments. I am sure they are chuckling at GM's position. Even Fiat has managed its failure in the Indian market in a nice way, everyone says Fiat is a bad company that makes good cars. And Chevy is the good company that sells bad cars (!)

I think all this mess is simply the result of penny-wise pound-foolish strategizing from the top management of GM

Cheers
Anand

Last edited by arajand : 12th July 2008 at 17:32. Reason: clean up
arajand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 22:06   #18
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,578
Thanked: 120 Times
Default

the optra of the first generation. 3 slot grill and the second generation single grill... with bow tie.. were seling good but after the stupid facelift.. and putting the face of SRV on it which was already outdated.. they have made a good looking car an ugly duckling.. and the result is known.. we hardly see any magnums or new look petrol optras..
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 01:16   #19
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,037
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
..we hardly see any magnums or new look petrol optras..
Quite a few are visible, atleast in Bangalore.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 01:50   #20
JRD
BHPian
 
JRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Turin/Ahmedabad
Posts: 372
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Its a matter of considering what the image of Daewoo was. When GM bought daewoo because of the obvious reason that daewoo was out of money, GM knew what the public image of daewoo was. The "ceilo" made sure people ran away from the name daewoo. Adding to that parts and service network was a big issue with daewoo.

GM wants to enter the growing markets like india n china and are considering to replace their lineup with smaller and fuel efficient cars. Before investing millions of dollars in designing/tooling/setting up plants for smaller chevy/GMC cars, they are using daewoo cars and with better quality and engineering trying to understand the indian and other south asian markets.

Considering all this, renaming it to Chevy was a smarter decision. Not every human being in india or the world knows and frankly cares that its a renamed daewoo. As far as GM provides great comfort (optra), Value for money(Spark/ UVA), FE (Spark/magnum) and service network with parts (rejoice for matiz owners) its gonna be fine.

The chevy classics are long gone and will never be feasable in india or as a matter of fact even in the US. (Fuel Costs and increasing number of cars in the world) Currently because of these so called classics of GM they are loosing their customers to Hyundai/KIA and japanese manufacturers.

As a professional car designer in regards to your comment on The Aveo UVA (being ugly). I think its a very well executed, clean, fresh and market appropriate design. FYI It has been designed by none other then Giorgetto Giugiaro the father of cars like: BMW Nazca C2, Bugatti EB118 Concept, Bugatti EB218 Concept , Chevrolet Corvette—2003 Moray Concept, Ford Mustang—1965 by Bertone, Giugiaro 2007, Lotus Esprit—1972 Concept, Maserati 3200 GT, Maserati Coupe , Maserati Quattroporte, Scighera and countless Ferrari’s, Lamborghini’s, and Alfa Romeo’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Chevrolet googly by GM, is one of the worst tragedies of our times, on the international auto scene.Chevrolet on our minds invokes the sweet memories of the classic Fleetmaster, mighty Corvette(remember the song Lil' Red Corvette by Prince),the gorgeous Malibu, Belair, Belvedere (the song Do you believe in love by Cher features a red Belvedere),Impala ( the song "meri lottery lag jaane waali hain's", antara goes on "caron me ek car chuni hain car chuni Impala, Impala me tujhe bithakar ghumega dilwala"- this was sung by Kishore Kumar),Camaro, Chevelle, Nova, Silverado, Monte Carlo,Caprice, Colorado and many more, I am sure the mandarins at GM Detriot are at their mental crossroads, if not financial.
Their buyout of the Daewoo chaebol's car making facilities at many countries signalled a rebirth for the make Daewoo. GM should have researched deeply before arriving at the decision to badge all Daewoo models viz. Epica, Optra, Aveo/ Aveo UVA, Spark as Chevrolet. These plasticky, small and in some cases ugly(the Aveo UVA is the ugliest of all) should have better been given some other new name by GM. The esteem of the bow-tie and the truly American brand Chevrolet has been lowered.
I can't think of a fragile and frail 1000cc car like the Spark being badged as a Chevrolet.

Last edited by GTO : 15th March 2013 at 16:38. Reason: Removing HTML tags
JRD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 01:58   #21
JRD
BHPian
 
JRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Turin/Ahmedabad
Posts: 372
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
What is the chevrolet optra called in the UK
Heard something else on the Top Gear Show.!

chevoret lacetti i think.
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 02:36   #22
BHPian
 
DocG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai - Singapore - Cali - Sydney - S.Korea
Posts: 870
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

I asked the same question once to the (ex) MD of GM India [Friend's dad]
He said that Opel was being phased out since the brand image took a beating. I owned an Astra and later an Optra, the Astra cost a bomb to maintain where as the Optra was cheap to own and run.

They needed to launch a brand that would revive the image of GM India, and Chevrolet has a long history with India. Many of the yesteryear actors would import chevys here, and they were looked upon as a luxo brand.

I hate daewoo as a brand, but to be honest the Optra won my heart as a car! They've done considerably better with then chevy brand in India that they did with Opel.

As for launching the real Chevys like those sold in the states, well imagine someone driving a Tahoe...or even a Malibu. In an FE obsessed country, these cars would never sell. I remember in the last delhi auto show, some dude was checking out the Cadi, and his first question was "Average kya hai"?!?!?!?

He didn't ask the cost, but first asked for the FE??
That incident should be reason enough for you to understand why we don't see real Chevys in India...
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 09:42   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default

1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post

The "ceilo" made sure people ran away from the name daewoo. Adding to that parts and service network was a big issue with daewoo.
Just before Daweoo closed down, Matiz had one of best years in India as far as sales are concerned. I completely agree with you tha Cielo was a car that made everyone run away from the brand, but it was Matiz that brought the buyers back, at least in India.

IMO, the Spark if launched as Daewoo Matiz, would be a better success because the brand image of Matiz is strong as the original product was good. GM could have done marketing like Daewoo is part of GM and they are now launching a new Matiz. I am sure that they could have achieved more success with small cars than what they have accomplished.


2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post

As for launching the real Chevys like those sold in the states, well imagine someone driving a Tahoe...or even a Malibu. In an FE obsessed country, these cars would never sell. I remember in the last delhi auto show, some dude was checking out the Cadi, and his first question was "Average kya hai"?!?!?!?

He didn't ask the cost, but first asked for the FE??
That incident should be reason enough for you to understand why we don't see real Chevys in India...
Malibu is a cometetior in Honda Accord/Toyota Camry/Nissan Tenna segment. If they manage to come up with Malibu with a diesel engine, I am sure that they can manage to give a stiff fight to Honda Accord. GM managed to give competetion to Honda CRV with Chevrolet Captiva. This, IMO, sufficiently proves that Chevrolet can take the fight in upper segments. At least Malibu can reach Indian shores.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 13th July 2008 at 09:43.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 23:27   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,705 Times
Default Re: Was rebadging Daewoos as Chevrolet a wise decision by GM?

I again remembered this thread that was started about five years ago. It is so relevant even today.
GM tried it with Opel and failed. The brand had low acceptance and low brand equity according to their surveys and was hence pulled out of the market all of a sudden.
The real facts apart from the brand name, were however the sky high cost of spares and repairs. My cousin had gone to replace a broken ORVM of his Astra which cost him Rs 4500/- about twelve years back.
GM's later market surveys and the collapse of South Korean chaebol Daewoo, followed by GM's purchase of the car making arm of the chaebol, gave the American company an ACE.
GM soon launched select Daewoo car models all around the world as Chevrolets. It found the Chevrolet brand acceptable in India and also took help of its Chinese arm SAIL to aid its India operations.
Now all these cars are being marketed as Chevrolets and many people are buying these because of the brand name.
The Daewoo- SAIL- Chevrolet lineage is hardly known to the larger public.
I would prefer that these plasticky, imposter cars be called Neo-Chevrolets. We respect GM by appending their choice name "Chevrolet" but a "NEO" must be prefixed.
GM has truly shattered the brand equity, image and glory of the purebred American Chevrolets, that the world has known.
Though I would fully agree with the world opinion that this was a marketing masterstroke by GM.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th March 2013 at 08:19. Reason: Sentence removed to avoid controversies
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 14:37   #25
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,156
Thanked: 2,461 Times
Default Re: Was rebadging Daewoos as Chevrolet a wise decision by GM?

Yep we wake up again.

Frankly felt that if one looked at the Daewoo brand it was killed off too early by GM when it did not pickup the Indian operations and it lost out on time and numbers. They could well have continued with the Daewoon Brand for the Spark & even Beat and Optra (Nubira) & Both Aveos while getting in the Cruz, Captiva etc under the Chevrolet brand, the Chevrolet brand was a premium larger than life one out here in India but today with what are a range of bland products like the Sail sedan and hatch the sheen on the brand has erroded. The Vehicles too needed to match the brand image.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 17:16   #26
BHPian
 
Eminenttismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 18.00N,79.58E
Posts: 330
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Was rebadging Daewoos as Chevrolet a wise decision by GM?

Daewoo nameplate was a strong competitor against Hyundai, having a good reputation in the Indian market. Had they kept the brand, Daewoo will have enjoyed the buyer awareness as Hyundai and Maruti. Basically how Maruti and Hyundai work out now is because of the brand image/awareness which has been deep rooted into the Indian car market since it sprung up in 90s.

Anyway, coming to Chevrolet, back in GMs hay days ,i.e in <80s in India, the automotive industry was very small, operated for a limited buyers(actors, super rich). It worked out for Chevrolet back then. But now it is FLAT impossible. All the sweet memories of Impalas, Malibus etc will have been either too big for the Indians or squeezed by luxury marques operating at the same price point. GM ruined it with switching 3 brands in a single decade in India.

Also, the pre-Daewoo-isation brand image of Chevrolet will not have translated into sales I suppose. Especially due to lack of small affordable cars from Chevrolet for emerging markets and the inherent Chevys being either too big or impractical for Indian market.

Finally, I strongly believe that GM took a right decision to buy Daewoo, but was a terrible-terrible idea to badge Daewoos as Chevrolets. . It will have made sense to badge Daewoos as Chevrolets now as Daewoo is a lot more mature brand with the Beat(Spark M300), Cruze, Orlando, Captiva, Sonic/Aveo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Daewoo- SAIL- Chevrolet lineage is hardly known to the larger public.
I would prefer that these plasticky, imposter cars be called Neo-Chevrolets. We respect GM by appending their choice name "Chevrolet" but a "NEO" must be prefixed.
Completely agree. But i suppose you meant SAIC instead of SAIL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
GM has truly shattered the brand equity, image and glory of the purebred American Chevrolets, that the world has known.
Though I would fully agree with the world opinion that this was a marketing masterstroke by GM.
Not only Chevy, pretty much everything at GM. Yes, that is what happens when the bean counters have an upper hand over car guys in a firm, as said by Bob Lutz.

The TV spots when Chevy entered in India were brilliant. They were aligned well with the traditional Indian culture with a touch of modernness. But with time, both Chevy and their ads started becoming dumb and dumb. I really wish Chevrolet did some brilliant ads like VW, Tata, etc.

Last edited by Eminenttismo : 14th March 2013 at 17:25.
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 19:07   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 43
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Was rebadging Daewoos as Chevrolet a wise decision by GM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
(the Aveo UVA is the ugliest of all) should have better been given some other new name by GM. The esteem of the bow-tie and the truly American brand Chevrolet has been lowered
Wholeheartedly agree with the viewpoint and feel that this was almost a violation of the brand name. Probably some newbie Suit sold the idea to the Board as a sure shot shortcut to the Indian car buyer's mind.

No doubt the 'original' Chevy cars would have no mass market in India, but then does that justify thrashing the brand name ?

I maybe wrong here, but didn't GM have a brand by the name of Geo or Neo or something similar in the 90's ,sold in the US itself, which were essentially re badged Japanese/Korean (sourced) low cost cars ? Surely they could have done something similar here also and left the Chevy name alone. Presently in India , the name Chevy is associated with Korean cars built cheap, looks dumb (UV-A) , and that doesn't hold resale value . Hardly what the original intent would have been, or should have been....

Just my 2 paisa.
jmktm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 19:37   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,705 Times
Default Re: Was rebadging Daewoos as Chevrolet a wise decision by GM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post

Completely agree. But i suppose you meant SAIC instead of SAIL.
Yes Eminenttismo, I meant SAIL. It is the SAIC Motor Corporation Limited (formerly Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation) an automobile manufacturing company headquartered in Shanghai, China, now in partnership with GM .
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 21:42   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,849
Thanked: 626 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Was rebadging Daewoos as Chevrolet a wise decision by GM?

GM cars are pretty decent, its just that they lacked a Figo that helped Ford rake up some numbers(again not much) Optra was a hit isnt it ? So was beat , but what failed for beat diesel is lack of boot.

I liked the opel series.. it was aspirational that time. But somehow GM felt indians are not ready for budget german cars(We still are not ready.. look at VW sales) , so decided to give us Korean(Trick from hyundai)

They have not had any smash hit yet. And apart from metros and other big cities, their service network is a question mark.
rajshenoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 12:16   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,576
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default Re: Was rebadging Daewoos as Chevrolet a wise decision by GM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
GM cars are pretty decent, its just that they lacked a Figo that helped Ford rake up some numbers(again not much)
I disagree on the above reason. GM actually had/has 3 hatchback models under the 5L price - Spark, Beat and UVA. If their cars were really decent, they could have managed to much better than Ford, who was fighting off the notorious image for the high maintenance costs when they launched Figo. Ford still managed to come out on top because they learned from their mistakes in the past and understood the Indian market better. GM on the other hand doesn't seem to be too bothered to understand the market. Decisions seem to be taken by folks who sit in Detroit and probably visit India once in a blue moon.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Wagon R LXi - My wise decision scorpio118 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 30 13th May 2015 18:53
Wise decision-First hand car or second hand car Surprise Hatchbacks 51 4th October 2009 20:04
Is it a wise decision to buy Palio now when Indica Vista is already launched? fiat_fan The Indian Car Scene 38 28th August 2008 13:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks