Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 14:47   #136
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 95
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Why are we complaining on the price? We buy Merc C class for 33+ lakhs when the same thing costs $33000 in US and its assmebled here so no 1005+ duties to be paid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Even the same thing with Honda Accord. It costs around 20k $ in US and double here in India.
That too these car does not have the features that are available in the Fiat 500.

Regards,

Sridhar
sridharp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 16:26   #137
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Highly unlikely that Fiat intends to sell much of Fiat 500. More like a Honda Civic Hybrid image building product. You get a 500 which is some sort of minor icon, with a Palio 1.3 l engine at an outrageous price of Rs. 15 lakhs. This is an offer that nearly all will refuse, except those with a gun to their head.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 16:32   #138
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Highly unlikely that Fiat intends to sell much of Fiat 500. More like a Honda Civic Hybrid image building product. You get a 500 which is some sort of minor icon, with a Palio 1.3 l engine at an outrageous price of Rs. 15 lakhs. This is an offer that nearly all will refuse, except those with a gun to their head.
Did you had a look at the specifications sheet??? Its got a lot of standard equipments plus even a glass roof for the lounge version.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 16:37   #139
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,782
Thanked: 342 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
There are only 2 ways how i can buy this car.

1. My boss realises that i am a very valuable asset and gives me a 200% salary hike. Actually make that 300%.

2. Some spoilt rich kid buys it and decides he doesnt want it and sells it cheap.

Either ways, i dont see any of this happening over the next 2 years. So, back i go to work
Himanshu,
1) Should I tell him that you need a raise. I still have his number!!!!
2) You buy it and I'll buy it from you!

Btw, in my opinion, they should advertise the car in the news papers. It'll give them the required footage.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 16:41   #140
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,343
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Ridiculing does not cost anything. When they do buy, we can still call them fools, just like we at economy air ticket call those in business class brainless fools paying so much more for going the same distance as us.
Yes, but you see in the business class you can spread your legs and go to sleep rather than being cramped in economy, which makes a big difference to how you arrive at the destination. Sorry, but you chose the wrong analogy. Besides, are you one of those "niche buyers" who would buy this car?

Last edited by straight6 : 21st July 2008 at 16:43.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 16:44   #141
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Did you had a look at the specifications sheet??? Its got a lot of standard equipments plus even a glass roof for the lounge version.
You can dress a 75bhp engine with a lot of options, add some glass roof; but how many people will pay 15 lakhs for a dodgy brand with 75 bhp 1.3l engine, very little cache and image; and questionable service levels and commitment. Looks more like a image changeover strategy, than any thought out plan to sell some 500. Very few people are willing to pay even 4 lakhs for a Palio; but of course a lot more will pay 15 lakhs for the same engine in a better looking car with a glass roof?
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 16:52   #142
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
You can dress a 75bhp engine with a lot of options, add some glass roof;
Its more than enough for the little car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
but how many people will pay 15 lakhs for a dodgy brand with 75 bhp 1.3l engine, very little cache and image; and questionable service levels and commitment.
You arent paying the price for the brand, its for the car for a change. Questionable service levels and commitment after thousand crores investment in India? Why dont you read the latest ownership threads which mention much improved level of service from Fiat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Looks more like a image changeover strategy, than any thought out plan to sell some 500. Very few people are willing to pay even 4 lakhs for a Palio; but of course a lot more will pay 15 lakhs for the same engine in a better looking car with a glass roof?
It indeed is an image changeover strategy offcourse! Audi TT had the same engine as the Octavia Ryder... no one complained... you didnt complain then... why now? You are not buying the engine alone, it comes with a whole car over it.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 17:07   #143
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Red face

@et - i agree on your points, the people who are interested in buying it wont compare it to a spark or i10 or palio or swift, but all some of us wanted was a rev happy petrol variant (which I can mod a few years down the line, like the abarths) like they have in the europe , hope it comes out sometime soon after all its all imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Its more than enough for the little car.

You arent paying the price for the brand, its for the car for a change. Questionable service levels and commitment after thousand crores investment in India? Why dont you read the latest ownership threads which mention much improved level of service from Fiat.


It indeed is an image changeover strategy offcourse! Audi TT had the same engine as the Octavia Ryder... no one complained... you didnt complain then... why now? You are not buying the engine alone, it comes with a whole car over it.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 17:18   #144
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Its more than enough for the little car.

You arent paying the price for the brand, its for the car for a change. Questionable service levels and commitment after thousand crores investment in India? Why dont you read the latest ownership threads which mention much improved level of service from Fiat.


It indeed is an image changeover strategy offcourse! Audi TT had the same engine as the Octavia Ryder... no one complained... you didnt complain then... why now? You are not buying the engine alone, it comes with a whole car over it.
I am least bothered about the fortunes and similarities of Audi and Skoda. For me, both are no no. I did not care about the company to complain. The numbers will soon tell whether thousand crores investment and more has been worthwhile. So far, it has not.

I am wondering if for 15 lakhs we are paying for a car for a change or the brand.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 17:22   #145
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,619
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Vasudeva, Fiat India had clearly stated during the 500 launch that this is just a Brand building exercise and they intend to sell a few hundred cars (Fiat 500) in the next one year!

The launch of the 500 is a precursor to the launch of other Fiat models such as Bravo, Linea and the Grande Punto in the Indian market!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 17:24   #146
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

That is what I said: it is more like a Civic Hybrid.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 17:27   #147
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I am least bothered about the fortunes and similarities of Audi and Skoda. For me, both are no no. I did not care about the company to complain. The numbers will soon tell whether thousand crores investment and more has been worthwhile. So far, it has not.

I am wondering if for 15 lakhs we are paying for a car for a change or the brand.
Even I am not paid by Fiat to endorse or defend its products.

Well Palio sales have been steadily climbing, the company is back into people's buying radar and that good enough for a start. Turnarounds dont happen in a day or night.. they take time. I am sure Fiat will get there.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 17:37   #148
BHPian
 
sanjaymugur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 262
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

@vasudeva, you should be doing either of these two, buy or don't buy.... stop harping abt FIAT & its + & -....

did u suffer in any form any kind of loss from FIAT, you have expressed your opinion more than once abt FIAT...

FIAT500 has won the award of structural rigidness & strength by beating a MERC... thats a great achievement in itself....
also, it is not the same engine as you get in PALIO multijet, PALIO MJT has generation-2 engine where as FIAT500 has generation-4 engine, much much better in terms of driveability, performace & most importantly emissions...

FIAT,always....
sanjaymugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 18:07   #149
BHPian
 
rudrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 606
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Well said..Sanjay!

One of the esteemed owner is none other than Felipe Massa, number two driver for the Ferrari Scuderia Formula One team!

The unique Fiat 500 Sport is painted in Pearl White with brown Cordura interior, Skydome sunroof, 16 inch diamond alloy wheels and the customary red brake calipers.

Fiat Powertrain Racing (FPT) have worked their magic on the 1.4 liter 16V engine and raised power to 120 bhp from 100 hp, a little below the 135 hp Fiat 500 Abarth and well below the expected 160-170 hp from the Fiat 500 Abarth SS.

FIAT,always....

Cheers~
Attached Images
 
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 18:09   #150
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Gosh... its an amazingly good looking car! I wish I could afford one!
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volvo to launch 300 BHP S60 T6 petrol in July 2015 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 42 lakhs sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 31 12th July 2015 07:20
Tata Aria 4X2 launch next week; Fiesta launch on July 10th sidindica The Indian Car Scene 83 3rd August 2011 09:41
2008 Audi A4 releasing July, Bookings Started! Edit: Now Launched Insane Devil The Indian Car Scene 84 28th July 2008 21:32
Mumbai\Pune Offroading Meet! 29th July 2007. Reports of 8th and 15th July too. pdev29 4x4 Excursions 109 31st August 2007 15:47
Another Drag and autocross on Dec. 18th - Now Postponed Rtech Indian Motorsport 6 15th December 2005 14:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks