Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 31st March 2010, 19:58   #106
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What's important, and much more so than the actual product (Hyundai's new gen cars rock anyways) is the Indian management's motivation levels. I mean, they already have a stonking car in the Sonata Embera. But the support that Hyundai India gives to his car is so poor, you'd think they don't want to sell it at all. No testdrives available, no dealer training, no marketing..the Sonata seems to only serve the purpose of an ornament on their website / in their product line up.

Before Hyundai actually launches the Santa Fe in India, they should decide if they really want to support the product. Else, it's going to end up as yet another lost cause (after the Sonata, Tucson and Terracan).
Old 31st March 2010, 20:26   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What's important, and much more so than the actual product (Hyundai's new gen cars rock anyways) is the Indian management's motivation levels. I mean, they already have a stonking car in the Sonata Embera. But the support that Hyundai India gives to his car is so poor, you'd think they don't want to sell it at all. No testdrives available, no dealer training, no marketing..the Sonata seems to only serve the purpose of an ornament on their website / in their product line up.

Before Hyundai actually launches the Santa Fe in India, they should decide if they really want to support the product. Else, it's going to end up as yet another lost cause (after the Sonata, Tucson and Terracan).
I agree with you on that.

My brother went in to a Hyundai Dealer in Kl to test drive the i10 and the sales exec was so negative about the i10 , that my bro ended up buying a Xing GLS.
Old 1st April 2010, 11:47   #108
BHPian

yesterday had gone to the Hyundai dealership to book an I20, ended inquiring about the Santa fe, he had no idea about the launch date and this is the top boss I am talking about. So I dont think it will launched in near future.
Old 4th April 2010, 16:01   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
I agree with you on that.
I suppose you also agree with GTO's observation of - "Hyundai's new gen cars rock anyways".

For those who are doubting Hyundai, see the Times magazine link here.

Quote:
My brother went in to a Hyundai Dealer in Kl to test drive the i10 and the sales exec was so negative about the i10 , that my bro ended up buying a Xing GLS.
I see that as an isolated incident, considering the number of i10s/i20s on road.

Quote:
Man, a lot of Hyundai lovers here.
I thought this place had quite a lot of Petrolheads.
It is not about one's affinity to a particular manufacturer or brand. It is about objectively discussing the merits/demerits of each car.
Old 4th April 2010, 16:24   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I suppose you also agree with GTO's observation of - "Hyundai's new gen cars rock anyways".

For those who are doubting Hyundai, see the Times magazine link here.

I see that as an isolated incident, considering the number of i10s/i20s on road.

It is not about one's affinity to a particular manufacturer or brand. It is about objectively discussing the merits/demerits of each car.

Except the i20, i dont feel the new Gen Hyundai rock in terms of looks.
But they provide good amount of kit with decent performance although the plastics feel a little cheap (to say the least).
Old 19th April 2010, 17:20   #111
Senior - BHPian

Default HMIL to introduce 'Santa Fe' in India this year

HMIL to introduce 'Santa Fe' in India this year
- To be launched as a CBU this year. After 2-3 years, Hyundai might consider manufacturing as CKDs.
- No plans to give Tucson a facelift. Santa Fe will not compete with Tucson.
- Price not disclosed.

Source: Press Trust of India (HMIL to introduce 'Santa Fe' in India this year)
Old 19th April 2010, 19:02   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
HMIL to introduce 'Santa Fe' in India this year
- To be launched as a CBU this year. After 2-3 years, Hyundai might consider manufacturing as CKDs.
- No plans to give Tucson a facelift. Santa Fe will not compete with Tucson.
- Price not disclosed.

Source: Press Trust of India (HMIL to introduce 'Santa Fe' in India this year)
"Another one bites the dust", no way it can be priced in the Fortuner range then if it is a CBU. It will be more in the 25 lakh + range. What do these guys smoke or drink, if fortuner can sell 1000 a month, why cant they?, they have a far better dealership and after sales network, I dont think they are confident in their own capabilities.
Old 19th April 2010, 19:10   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
I dont think they are confident in their own capabilities.
I don't think it is a question of capabilities, but one of interest. Is Hyundai really interested in selling cars above 10 Lakhs?

CBU is a easy/lazy path to take. If Hyundai takes this path, it means their focus is, at the moment, on sub 10 Lakh range.

Disappointing, since I think they do have the capability to take on Toyota.
Old 19th April 2010, 21:54   #114
BHPian

Looks like HMIL haven't learned a lesson from Terracan & Tucson sales figures.

Santa Fe is a mighty impressive vehicle, but CBU route will mean it will be priced beyond what it is worth.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:01   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I don't think it is a question of capabilities, but one of interest. Is Hyundai really interested in selling cars above 10 Lakhs?

CBU is a easy/lazy path to take. If Hyundai takes this path, it means their focus is, at the moment, on sub 10 Lakh range.

Disappointing, since I think they do have the capability to take on Toyota.
Thats the whole point if you want to focus in sub 10 lakh range then dont bring Santa Fe to India, why taste more failure when you have already seen Sonnata, Tuscon, Elantra and Terracan rejected by the market.
Old 22nd April 2010, 13:54   #116
BHPian

TOI Zig Wheels edition carried a news today that this would hit the roads soon India.

Santa Fe might come equipped with 2.2L CrDI Engine belting out 197PS with 436Nm of Torque.

Petrol: 2.4L Theta II engine which belts out 175PS and 228Nm of Torque. Also, there is a 3.5L V6 which churns out 275PS

However, price is not disclosed.

Cheers

Last edited by 2500cc : 22nd April 2010 at 13:55. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd April 2010, 19:33   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
TOI Zig Wheels edition carried a news today that this would hit the roads soon India.
The link to the zig wheels edition is given here for a quick reference.
Hyundai to introduced new SUV, Santa Fe - News - Zigwheels

Cheers.
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:52   #118
Senior - BHPian

If it is priced at around 20 lakhs will it be a success.Also if Hyundai really expects some volumes they should introduce it with a diesel engine.
Old 26th April 2010, 18:10   #119
Senior - BHPian

Default Spotted a CUV "under test"-which one?

Spotted this CUV with "under test" sticker at the rear windscreen IIRC, had a red number plate, it just ran away and this was the only shot I could manage as traffic was also blocking my view. Couldn't see the logos as they seemed to be masked.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Santa Fe spotted!-dsc02815.jpg  

Old 26th April 2010, 18:12   #120
BHPian

This looks like the Hyundai Santa Fe.
Closed Thread