Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th July 2008, 19:34   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Question Skoda Octavia Diesel: Resale Value

I am helping out a close friend in getting a new car. We waited for the Fortuner but seems we cant wait anymore as his Skoda is getting costlier to maintain. It has done 1lac kms till date. Its a 2004 model.

Now my queries.

1) Whats the max resale I can get for it?
2) Heard for some second hand car dealers that a Skoda with 80k on odo fetches lesser value as service from then onwards is costly
3) We have the Laura as option but backed off thanks to experience with Skoda service and parts rate.

Are these just a rumor?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 20:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I am helping out a close friend in getting a new car. We waited for the Fortuner but seems we cant wait anymore as his Skoda is getting costlier to maintain. It has done 1lac kms till date. Its a 2004 model.

Now my queries.

1) Whats the max resale I can get for it?
2) Heard for some second hand car dealers that a Skoda with 80k on odo fetches lesser value as service from then onwards is costly
3) We have the Laura as option but backed off thanks to experience with Skoda service and parts rate.

Are these just a rumor?
JK

1: 4-5.5 depending on condition
2: If you depend on the dealer, yes, but the engine is simple and hardy if maintained well. Parts are available outside the skoda network and most mechanical repairs are easy
3: Latest Autocar - the Skoda MD has a "surprise" in store on this front
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 21:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

A well used Skoda is a real bank account muncher.
A used car dealer would buy the car off, "clock" the digital odometer to a palatable mileage figure and sell it off to a 'bakra'.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 12:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
A used car dealer would buy the car off, "clock" the digital odometer to a palatable mileage figure and sell it off to a 'bakra'.
totally agree with you.the dealer will tamper the reading and then sell to some un suspecting buyer.

why not exchange skoda for some other brand car.??
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 12:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Always ask for the last service Invoice (A.S.S only) from the owner or the name where it got serviced, helps avoiding things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 15:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
Why not exchange skoda for some other brand car.??
The prob with exchanging a car is that u'll only get a very low price for it. Its better selling it to someone rather than exchanging it as u probably will get more $$$.

Just inquired, and according to the rates here it should fetch u atleast 5.5-6lakhs if its a 1st owner car.

Last edited by karthik247 : 29th July 2008 at 15:04.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 16:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Are these just a rumor?
You seem to be contradicting yourself,anyway its true that after 80k or so it becomes heavy on the pocket.
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 01:43   #8
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
You seem to be contradicting yourself,anyway its true that after 80k or so it becomes heavy on the pocket.
True about the service dealers and costs. I backed out many times over the past year fearing the same, but the car is so damn good that I was back at the showroom once a month for test drives. Finally bought the Laura Ambiente and am very happy so far. Chatted up many Laura drivers at stop lights and it was only happiness shared.

At 14 lacs, (now almost 50K discount), just go for it! Heavens will not fall. It you cant buy the laura, you cant buy the Jetta.
Tan1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 08:42   #9
BHPian

but still..

If laura is international octi , then does that mean the current indian octi is only made in and for india? And in rest of the world only International octi ( indian Laura) is sold?

If this is true then how come there can be possibility of facelift of indian octi?
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 11:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

where did I read that Skoda is offerring a 3 year / 3,00,000 KM free maintenance program? It was only a couple of days back.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 17:04   #11
BHPian

correction - Its 3 year/50000 km plan and not sure if it covers consumables/labor etc
vivek.singh.73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 23:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Dont expect resale value more than 3.8-4 lakhs. Everybody now knows that Octavia past 1 lakh kms. mark is a bit costly to maintain thanks to cost of spares and the service experience is also not very high rated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post

If laura is international octi , then does that mean the current indian octi is only made in and for india? And in rest of the world only International octi ( indian Laura) is sold?

If this is true then how come there can be possibility of facelift of indian octi?
Laura is Internationally new Octavia based on Mark V golf. The octavia in India is based on Mark IV golf.
The strategy is the same as Alto-A-star, Santro-i10, Accent-Verna, etc.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote