Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th November 2008, 00:00   #31
BHPian

This launch talk is going on from past few years. Toyota is does not wanna give option to Indian Market. Avanza has launched world wide a long time back, even in Bangladesh you get this car...
Toyota has taken Indian Customer as granted. 10 yrs in business but only 5-6 Model. And most of them are 10+. I think we are giving some extra premium/value/respect to this car company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
My friend seems to have spotted Avanza couple of times in Bangalore. I am sure he hasn't confused Innova for Avanza as he owns an Innova!
i believe that is some other Toyota V8 model. and MH registration black color.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th December 2010 at 22:27. Reason: Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 22:11   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Avanza coming to India?

Well guys any update on this one?

New Toyota Avanza Pictures . See Interior & Exterior Toyota Avanza Photos | CarDekho.com

Cardekho has come up with pictures and an ex-showroom price of Rs.6 lacs

Buying an innova pretty soon.. but would definitely want to give this one a try if its launching any time before March 2011.

If any one has updates relating to launch date please reply..
Bhushanrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 00:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

there isnt anything wrong with the products or prices of toyota vehicles but somehow the etios and now the possible avanza look like compromised in terms of the built quality ,they appear light , and outdated even hyundai cars appear to be better built and fresh in their respective segments like i10 and i20. they are so fresh!!! in looks and the i20 feels like its
strongly built

i love all the current toyota lineup except etios avanza is not bad but its not as clean in design as innova (this is just my opinion)
it looks better in the pics posted my @bhushanrulz
also i understand the importance of price of the car ,that may do the trick,but i must say manufacturers like MUL,tata,hyundai are better in producing cars below c segment. and their lack of compitancy seen in smaller cars may effect their brand image

Last edited by AMATMO : 13th December 2010 at 00:10.
AMATMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 09:19   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhushanrulz View Post
Buying an innova pretty soon.. but would definitely want to give this one a try if its launching any time before March 2011.

If any one has updates relating to launch date please reply..
The same site also mentions, "World's largest auto manufacturer, Toyota Motors planning to launch Toyota Avanza in the month of September or October 2011."
Toyota Avanza in India - Toyota Avanza Price, Toyota Avanza Reviews | CarDekho.com
ajay0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 11:09   #35
BHPian

I am not sure if everyone is on the same page about the size of the Avanza. The Avanza's that I have seen and driven as rentals in South-east Asia are MUVs which can only seat 5 people. It is a mini MUV like the Premier Rio in Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore. So, I would think that Toyota will bring that one here (and hence the pricing). So at a price of 6 lakhs, it will be competition for the hatchbacks really and not the MUVs! Given the hieght, fuel economy and the load carrying capacity that it has, I see great potential for it in India esp in the rural markets which the Rio should have been able to do but with the quality that they offer, I dont see it going anywhere! Btw the Avanza comes with a 1.3l and 1.5l engines in these countries.

For specs please refer the following link:
http://www.toyota.com.my/avanza/specs-and-price/

Last edited by sarmarishi : 13th December 2010 at 11:18.
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 11:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

Just two words. Shockingly UGLY!
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 19:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
I am not sure if everyone is on the same page about the size of the Avanza. The Avanza's that I have seen and driven as rentals in South-east Asia are MUVs which can only seat 5 people.
Looks very very similar to the Toyota Matrix in the US. The Matrix is based on Corolla and priced likewise.. Toyota will have a tough challenge to launch something like that at 6 lakhs, considering they had to design something from scratch (Etios) to get to that price point.
The Matrix however is utilitarian at best, but does offer some nice options like available AWD. Never been impressed by it though.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 21:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
This launch talk is going on from past few years. Toyota is does not wanna give option to Indian Market. Avanza has launched world wide a long time back, even in Bangladesh you get this car...
Toyota has taken Indian Customer as granted. 10 yrs in business but only 5-6 Model. And most of them are 10+. I think we are giving some extra premium/value/respect to this car company.

well, i will certainly agree with you about toyota launching very few vehicles in india,but dont you agree they always deliver perfect products? innova,corolla and fortuner are their top sellers in the respective segments,they have many such products but they are not as abitious about india yet
AMATMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 11:06   #39
BHPian

Well as far as the looks department goes I would definitel giv this one a thumbs up over the xylo.. not denying that the toyota badge does play some role here...

even as a five seater this one should sell like hot cakes if priced at 7-9..

as far as build quality goes... whether it reduces with price for toyota...only the etios can determine... with a good built.. competitive pricing.. i dont see a reason for this one to not eat into the xylo segment completely..

btw heading to book the INNOVA GX grey coloured 7 seater in an hours time... sep'11 is really loong!
Bhushanrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 19:29   #40
BHPian

I doubt if Toyota would bring the AVANZA, this would be another Qualis. and Toyota is pretty clear of not getting the Taxi status linked to any of its cars, which they can't help but is already associated to pretty much all their cars from the Innova to the Camry and now even the Etios would possibly become a favorite radio cab.
dragstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 20:02   #41

yeah bro avanza is a smaller variant of an innova 5 seater and i have already driven it in Malaysia
Binoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 14:46   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragstar View Post
I doubt if Toyota would bring the AVANZA, this would be another Qualis. and Toyota is pretty clear of not getting the Taxi status linked to any of its cars, which they can't help but is already associated to pretty much all their cars from the Innova to the Camry and now even the Etios would possibly become a favorite radio cab.
Any car can be used as a Taxi/Public Transport. If you say that Toyota does not want to get a Taxi status then I think we are wrong. Many country Toyota, VW, SKODA car is used as a Taxi. Even they have TT (Tempo Traveller) kind of van which are being used public transport.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 15:47   #43
BHPian

This vehicle is smaller than the innova and makes sense as an alternate to big hatches or saloons as city driving would be breeze and and as an mpv it would be vry spacious and practical.I just hope toyota brings it in 7-8 lac range with also an option for automatic transmission.
ahuja365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 21:39   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
The same site also mentions, "World's largest auto manufacturer, Toyota Motors planning to launch Toyota Avanza in the month of September or October 2011."
Toyota Avanza in India - Toyota Avanza Price, Toyota Avanza Reviews | CarDekho.com
Looking at Toyota's strategy till date in Indian market, don't think it will launch 2 new models in the same year.
Me-hul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 22:54   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuja365 View Post
This vehicle is smaller than the innova and makes sense as an alternate to big hatches or saloons as city driving would be breeze and and as an mpv it would be vry spacious and practical.I just hope toyota brings it in 7-8 lac range with also an option for automatic transmission.
I have seen AVANZA in flesh at Manila, Philippines. The car is much smaller than INNOVA ,hardly striking in its appearance,but I guess it served well as a real large hatch. It was my preferred taxi ride to the airport as it could swallow large amounts of luggage. apparently it costs about 500,000 Pesos ( equivalent to about 5 lacs INR).

I thought it was pretty comfortable too . If launched in India , it could be quite popular since it It could carry five in comfort with luggage thrown in. Think of AVANZA in comparison with EECO..It would rank similar in terms of interior space and handling.

I don't know what the honchos at Toyota India are thinking ,but a petrol engine and may be risk of cannibalizing sales of INNOVA must be weighing on their minds.
sudhakarg is offline   Reply With Quote