Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th January 2011, 12:28   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Avanza coming to India?

Ghost of Avanza keeps coming in discussion after regular interval of time since Qualis' departure.

Avanza is unlikely to launch as per current happenings. As Toyota's are now having Etios platform in assembly, new MPV must be using the same. I think post liva lunch we must hear something on this.
zalaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 20:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

Sadly, that is whats' going to happen.
Toyota would want to stretch the Etios platform to it's maximum.So we can expect that MUV in post-Liva.
But i badly wanted the RWD Avanza.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 01:29   #48
BHPian

As per one of the Bangalore's Toyota dealers, Avanza is on its way. But the time frame i happen to know seems bit long. they says 2012! But for a launch thats due for next year, how come the sales guys know about it. So the launch may be sooner than they mentioned.
Willeys78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 08:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeys78 View Post
As per one of the Bangalore's Toyota dealers, Avanza is on its way. But the time frame i happen to know seems bit long. they says 2012! But for a launch thats due for next year, how come the sales guys know about it. So the launch may be sooner than they mentioned.
That seems passible as with the Liva and the etios diesel,Toyota will have it's hand full this year.And that too deliveries for the Etios haven't started yet.
Good to know the Avanza is finally coming.
Old 12th January 2011, 11:24   #50
BHPian

I've lost hope on this.
Toyota is very slow of the blocks when it comes to releasing information on their upcoming products.They seem to only advertize it just a couple of month before the launch of their products.
Anyday.I'd love to own a Toyota but their slow response to Indian market is a dampner.
hallik9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 02:24   #51
BHPian

I saw an avanza. The rear lights are completely different from what is shown in the pictures here. The version I saw was awesome. If they launch the one in the pictures provided here, it is going to be a flop. The one I saw looked very much like a Merc R class. I will try getting pictures of this vehicle tomorrow.
cyqed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 08:49   #52
Senior - BHPian

You sure that it's an Avanza?
Toyota has a whole lot of upmarket MPVs like Alphard,Vellfire,Venza and luxury models of Hiace.
Surely the Avanza or the MUV below Innova planned can't be like an R class.
Old 21st February 2012, 17:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Guys, is the Avanza seriously coming to India now ?
Looks like it will come sometime this year. Many of Auto sites are filled with the info.
Here's one such report at Indiandrives.com
Toyota Avanza in India, Toyota Avanza price in India, New Toyota Avanza 2012, 2012 Toyota Avanza features, Toyota Avanza in India Preview
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 23:00   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Guys, is the Avanza seriously coming to India now ?
Looks like it will come sometime this year. Many of Auto sites are filled with the info.
Here's one such report at Indiandrives.com
Doesn't look like anything trustworthy! Some of the lines start with "The Indian market Avanza comes with.." - now which company will provide these kind of details before a launch!

Also I remember reading some interviews with the Toyota head who said this year will be used exclusively for building the Etios brand and they don't have ANY launches lined up for a year or two!
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 15:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

Taking out your post from the Ertiga thread,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
I don't think toyota would bring it as such. It looks dated inside & outside w.r.t. Ertiga, has smaller length (4140mm Vs 4265mm) and smaller capacity engine (1300cc Vs 1373cc). They would have to facelift it substantially to compete with Ertiga. Else they would have to sacrifice on the margins which they are not known to do at least here, in India.

However it does have some practical features like split folding rear seat, double folding middle seat. If toyota manage to bring it here at slightly lower prce than Maruti would be forced to install such features sooner.
The new Avanza launched on January 11, 2012, yes the dimensions are smaller but it has much larger boot , practical seat config , Ground Clearance , Easy ingress and egress.

Toyota Avanza coming to India?-avanzaspecs.jpg

Toyota Avanza coming to India?-boot.jpg

Toyota Avanza coming to India?-boot-luggage.jpg

Toyota Avanza coming to India?-ingress.jpg

Toyota Avanza coming to India?-5050-boot-seat.jpg

Also enjoy the full set of photos from the source link below.

Source : paultan

Last edited by wildon : 28th April 2012 at 15:39.
wildon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 23:36   #56
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

With the arival of the Ertiga don't really see a place for the Avanza as it is likely to be too expensive for the market place at this point of time. The Innova itself would get hit in terms of sales due to the Avanza and together the two may not do more than 30% more than what the Innova itself manages today.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 15:06   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
With the arival of the Ertiga don't really see a place for the Avanza as it is likely to be too expensive for the market place at this point of time. The Innova itself would get hit in terms of sales due to the Avanza and together the two may not do more than 30% more than what the Innova itself manages today.
Toyota is looking at re-positioning the Innova into a "premium MUV" segment. (Source: Autocar India Magazine) toyota needs something to fill in the gap here. Avanza might be the right fit as Cabbies would lap up a Toyota MUV like a child eating ece-cream. Qualis and Innova are standing proofs. If Innova is positioned into the premium segment, Avanza would satiate the common class buyer (Taxi and Private).

Avanza with a roof rack seems ideal for Airport Pickups and visits to shopping malls.
scopriobharath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 14:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

Yes thats exactly whats called talent business and strategy. Top end Avanza with 10 lacs. on road makes lot of sense to buy for people who look for economy yet luxury and practical. It will kill many vehicles sales. Expect Avanza huge waiting period for first 2 years. Looks like 2012 is launch date.

Innova at 16 lacs. will be categorized as premium MUV.

Also there is rumour Innova production will be closing by year end and Avanza will be available in many variants to fulfill taxy/economy buyer/premium buyer. Only in future one can get answer.

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 15:29   #59
BHPian

Only thing "premium" in the Innova is its premium pricing! With a 7 year old shell and outdated interiors I don't think there's anything going for the Innova to justify its premium pricing. Yeah Qualis and Innova were lapped up for Toyota brand but also because they created new segments. If the brand name was all that mattered then the Etios twins should have set the sales chart on fire. Toyota cannot ride the brand wave for too long and continue their insane pricing. The sales numbers of Innova will dwindle in the coming months with the market closing the gap with more sensibly priced products (read Ertiga, Duster).

Also, Toyota clearly stated that the Avanza won't be coming to Indian shores.
swiftdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 15:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

This seems to me like a mix of Innova and Xylo, i must say Toyota is mastering the art of bad design interms of looks...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote