Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st July 2012, 15:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Avanza coming to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Yes thats exactly whats called talent business and strategy. Top end Avanza with 10 lacs. on road makes lot of sense to buy for people who look for economy yet luxury and practical. It will kill many vehicles sales. Expect Avanza huge waiting period for first 2 years. Looks like 2012 is launch date.

Innova at 16 lacs. will be categorized as premium MUV.

Also there is rumour Innova production will be closing by year end and Avanza will be available in many variants to fulfill taxy/economy buyer/premium buyer. Only in future one can get answer.
Ravi.
Avanza wont come to india, but there are plans for an "avanza like" mini MUV based on the Etios platform. This is likely to compete with Ertiga. I dont expect this before 2013 end / 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Only thing "premium" in the Innova is its premium pricing! With a 7 year old shell and outdated interiors I don't think there's anything going for the Innova to justify its premium pricing. Yeah Qualis and Innova were lapped up for Toyota brand but also because they created new segments. If the brand name was all that mattered then the Etios twins should have set the sales chart on fire. Toyota cannot ride the brand wave for too long and continue their insane pricing. The sales numbers of Innova will dwindle in the coming months with the market closing the gap with more sensibly priced products (read Ertiga, Duster).

Also, Toyota clearly stated that the Avanza won't be coming to Indian shores.
An All new Innova is planned in future, similar to the current Gen Toyota Sienna sold in USA. IT is expected to be fully loaded in reality and positioned as a "premium MUV" costing close to 20 lacs.
scopriobharath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 20:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Do I see Toyota getting all too smug with the Innova like Honda did with the City. With the Innova, Toyota created a new niche and have dominated it ever since. However, with the competition hotting up, Toyota needs to put in a lot of effort to sustain its marketshare. It is a matter of time before its sales start getting impacted. With Nissan &GM about to launch their own UV's, the customer will have options which will be a lot cheaper.

It could be a situation similar to the D1 segment which has been contracting. Not too many people see the value in the sedans in this segment. Is the additional 4-7 lakhs over a Vento /Verna/ Rapid/ City really worth it?

So while you will have the likes of Duster and Ertiga, sniping at one end, the XUV 500 will offer a different kind of challenge. Cross shopping within the same price points is only going to increase.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 22nd July 2012 at 20:50.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 17:20   #63
BHPian

Hello Folks,
I was planning to buy an Ertiga and during that process just talked about my choice to a Toyota dealer in Faridabad last week. After his lot of efforts to justify me Ertiga as a bad choice, he asked me to wait for a month as Toyota may launch an Ertiga competition very soon.
God know if he was speaking truth.
harpreetsubhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 17:52   #64
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Hello Folks,
I was planning to buy an Ertiga and during that process just talked about my choice to a Toyota dealer in Faridabad last week. After his lot of efforts to justify me Ertiga as a bad choice, he asked me to wait for a month as Toyota may launch an Ertiga competition very soon.
God know if he was speaking truth.
Are you in any hurry ? Nothing wrong in waiting for a month anyway. Ertiga is almost readily available off the shelf depending on the choice of color you want. So after a month you can still walk in to maruti showroom and buy Ertiga. Only thing you cant predict is the nature of discounts(could be more or less depending on the sales)

Toyota has tons of vehicle models abroad but somehow think we Indians deserve cars like Etios only. Sometime back they had announced that they want to focus on Etios twins and do not expect any other launches until 2015. I am yet to see them focus even on the Etios.

I think the known competition for Ertiga is going to be Brio MPV by Honda(2014 second half) and Hyundai Hexaspace(2015). By 2015, Even Toyota might come with compact SUV and compact MUV if they want to sell more cars. But Do not expect anything to come in a month and even if it does, It is going to have long waiting periods.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 17th August 2013 at 17:54.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 18:03   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Are you in any hurry ? Nothing wrong in waiting for a month anyway. Ertiga is almost readily available off the shelf depending on the choice of color you want. So after a month you can still walk in to maruti showroom and buy Ertiga. Only thing you cant predict is the nature of discounts(could be more or less depending on the sales)
I fully agree to all your words rajshenoy. Actually I booked a Ford Ecosport in June but I do not think they will be able to deliver the car even in next 3 months. So I'm already looking for something alternative to buy. Ertiga seems to be a good choice. But as you said, I can wait for 1-1.5 months for the same and I will do so. Though I have close-to-zero expectations from Toyota about a new launch in this year. Thanks for your advise though.
harpreetsubhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 18:15   #66
BHPian

Had a chance to see the Avanza recently in Pune. It looks like a perfect competition to the Ertiga. Also has a somewhat mini-SUV stance to it. Toyota Should launch it in India and plonk the Etios's diesel engine.
performance plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 19:50   #67
BHPian

Post Re: Toyota Avanza coming to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by performance plumbing View Post
Had a chance to see the Avanza recently in Pune. It looks like a perfect competition to the Ertiga. Also has a somewhat mini-SUV stance to it. Toyota Should launch it in India and plonk the Etios's diesel engine.
What do you mean you saw an Avanza? Was it a camouflaged vehicle undergoing testing or some crazy fellow imported it from Thailand or Indonesia?

Why would anybody import it for double the price of Ertiga when a similar vehicle (read Ertiga) is available off the shelf.
mroptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 11:00   #68
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post

What do you mean you saw an Avanza? Was it a camouflaged vehicle undergoing testing or some crazy fellow imported it from Thailand or Indonesia?

Why would anybody import it for double the price of Ertiga when a similar vehicle (read Ertiga) is available off the shelf.
Me too waiting for the reply. why in pune?when Toyota has its plant in Bangalore.

finally Avanza is yet another Toyota. its never designed to make heads turn. but its even more practical than ertiga with features such as split last row seat etc. surely going to be yet another hit among the taxi segment. its not even close to ertiga in terms of premium feel

if Toyota launches it, then i am sure it will hit sales of innova than that of ertiga because people will get to own Toyota muv for 3-4 lakh cheaper
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 11:32   #69
BHPian

I too dont think Avanza is about to be launched. I used to see Fortuner many times near my place before it was launched and quite likely we should have seen Avanza too around Bangalore not around Pune.

Nobody saw Etios being tested because it was a new model even for Toyota and so they kept it under wraps. Only after they "previewed" it , was it seen testing. By that yardstick, Avanza is not a new Toyota model and so i guess it was either that someone imported it or stuck an Avanza plate onto some other vehicle.

Avanza is now like the boy crying out wolf wolf. I heard about an Avanza launch three years ago from "someone in Toyota".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Me too waiting for the reply. why in pune?when Toyota has its plant in Bangalore.

finally Avanza is yet another Toyota. its never designed to make heads turn. but its even more practical than ertiga with features such as split last row seat etc. surely going to be yet another hit among the taxi segment. its not even close to ertiga in terms of premium feel

if Toyota launches it, then i am sure it will hit sales of innova than that of ertiga because people will get to own Toyota muv for 3-4 lakh cheaper
venkateshkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 19:44   #70
BHPian

With Ertiga, Enjoy (a little bit) and potentially Mobilio denting sales of Innova, I for one, think that this is the time to launch the Avanza over here. Instead I am seeing the 2015 Innova when it is clearly the era of compacts.
Avanza can make a killing here as it is a tried, tested and reliable product (unlike the Etios twins designed for India and shaming India & Toyota with pathetic interiors and quality).
Let's see if someone at TKM wakes up after reading this thread!
turbospooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 20:14   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
, I for one, think that this is the time to launch the Avanza over here. Instead I am seeing the 2015 Innova when it is clearly the era of compacts.
!
Couldnt agree with you more, people want compact cars these days & Avanza will be a runaway success if launched in India, no doubt about it.

I think Toyota strongly believes that Avanza will cannibalise the sales of Innova. They feel only one can exist in India & for obvious reasons ( high profit margin) they have chosen Innova.
rahul412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 04:10   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
I think Toyota strongly believes that Avanza will cannibalise the sales of Innova. They feel only one can exist in India & for obvious reasons ( high profit margin) they have chosen Innova.
Even I would have thought this way.
But isn't volumes X a little less profit better than high profit but less volumes?!
turbospooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 07:31   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Even I would have thought this way.
But isn't volumes X a little less profit better than high profit but less volumes?!
For a product that requires no regular servicing, yes. But in the case of Avanza, Toyota will have to ensure that the dealers have the capacity to service a large number of cars. Agreed that Avanza is reliable. But it requires regular servicing like all other cars.

About the car itself, could Toyota be facing technical difficulties in fitting the diesel engine, like it happened with new Altis?
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:23   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
For a product that requires no regular servicing, yes. But in the case of Avanza, Toyota will have to ensure that the dealers have the capacity to service a large number of cars. Agreed that Avanza is reliable. But it requires regular servicing like all other cars.
I guess servicing for Innova starts at just 5000 kms!
Also, most of dealers must have been asked to increase capacity when they launched Etios. Maybe, it will be utilised if Avanza is launched
And mind you, dealers make more money in servicing than in the actual sale.
Quote:
About the car itself, could Toyota be facing technical difficulties in fitting the diesel engine, like it happened with new Altis?
I think that may be one of the reasons. Honda did it with City when they waited for the platform to be phased out. I guess Engine integration is a major bottleneck for Avanza.
@rohanjf, you genius
turbospooler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 19:27   #75
BHPian

Reviving an old thread; any latest news about Avanza? With Honda BRV not selling much, due to whatever reasons, a similarly positioned Toyota product could learn from mistakes from BRV, Ertiga, Lodge etc and repeat performance of its bigger sibling Innova.
rich_heart is offline   Reply With Quote