Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th August 2008, 01:02   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Yes we dont really earn in Euros or dollars but neither does the government buy Petrol/Diesel in Rupees!! If government keeps selling cheap petrol it will be bankrupt in no time!
Also lets also keep in mind that whatever money is lost in cheap oil, it means less allocation for education/healthcare/defense/roads etc! So in any case its our loss only. There is no magical tree anywhere that sprouts lots of free money!!! Everything has a price and if crude OIL price is getting higher and higher per day (in last 2 years it has gone up almost 3+ times) we should be ready to pay higher price as well.
Boss, you please explain to me why we pay the same price as the UK for cars, when we earn a lot less, AND our cars are made here locally. While you're at it, tell me why the prices of petroleum products in India hasn't dropped even though international crude prices have been in freefall for the last few weeks.

And in the same vein, why not tell us how, though we pay a lot more for fuel than the US, or even Australia, we aren't as well off when it comes to
Quote:
education/healthcare/defense/roads etc! So in any case its our loss only.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 12:34   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Boss, you please explain to me why we pay the same price as the UK for cars, when we earn a lot less, AND our cars are made here locally. While you're at it, tell me why the prices of petroleum products in India hasn't dropped even though international crude prices have been in freefall for the last few weeks.

And in the same vein, why not tell us how, though we pay a lot more for fuel than the US, or even Australia, we aren't as well off when it comes to
Well first of all car prices and petrol prices are unrelated! There is no end to this debate why some things are cheaper here in India and expensive abroad or vice versa. You can get an haircut in India for 10/20 rupees, can you have it done for a quarter (25 cents) in US? India missed the bus in 18th and 19th century when world was witnessing industrialisation and now we need to buy technology to use. That is one reason why all products here are so expansive. We need to buy all technology as we have none here. Not just cars, your almost all household things or everyday use things (even the toothpaste or water purifier or refrigerator or television etc none were invented in india). If we dont innovate we need to buy and if we need to buy than we need to pay! Its as simple as that.
Coming to prices of oil, India doesnt have a daily price determination mechanism so prices here dont fall or rise daily or weekly. You should still thank the government for that otherwise we would be paying almost 100 rupees a liter nowadays! Try to find out petrol prices in UK/Europe etc. And dont compare with US. They are sitting on huge reserves of their own + also drinking all the oil from gulf countries like Soudi & Iraq. US can even have free petrol now. Its not the same here with us. We have no resources and need to buy all the oil we consume (and we are consuming more and more everyday given the population growth, more prospeity in the country meaning more automobiles, more energy needs etc).
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 12:44   #48
BHPian

Quote:
While you're at it, tell me why the prices of petroleum products in India hasn't dropped even though international crude prices have been in freefall for the last few weeks.
That's easy; it's because the oil marketing companies still lose Rs10-20 per litre of petrol and diesel sold. Even if oil prices come down to $100/barrel, they will lose money at current prices.
Car Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 14:26   #49
BHPian

Why dont people use bicycles to commute to distances under 10 km?
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 14:36   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Why dont people use bicycles to commute to distances under 10 km?
1. In hot summers its 40 degrees, you would reach office drenched in sweat
2. In rains people will splash you
3. There are no dedicate biking paths and other vehicles bully you

So if the ambient temparature was 20-25 degree C, there was a bike path where nobody will bully me, and no uphill stretches, I would cycle to work. Till then its the car.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 14:46   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Not quite true.

In Ahmedabad (less traffic but insaner than Delhi), I used to commute to office some 3.5km away. Sweat yes, but mostly not a problem (Feb-July). Rains yes are a problem.

People even try to bully bikers

and I was a good 5 kg lighter as a result. Delhi traffic is just too mad /distances far for bike commuting.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 01:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Fan View Post
That's easy; it's because the oil marketing companies still lose Rs10-20 per litre of petrol and diesel sold. Even if oil prices come down to $100/barrel, they will lose money at current prices.
See, the entry price of fuel is ridiculously low. We pay huge taxes and levies. Can you believe, BLR Urban still pays a Gulf War tax?! Guess where that money is going?

Quote:
You can get an haircut in India for 10/20 rupees, can you have it done for a quarter (25 cents) in US? If we dont innovate we need to buy and if we need to buy than we need to pay! Its as simple as that.
See, we didn't invent the haircut either, so by your logic, we should be paying twice as much as Europe.

Quote:
Well first of all car prices and petrol prices are unrelated! There is no end to this debate why some things are cheaper here in India and expensive abroad or vice versa. You can get an haircut in India for 10/20 rupees, can you have it done for a quarter (25 cents) in US? India missed the bus in 18th and 19th century when world was witnessing industrialisation and now we need to buy technology to use. That is one reason why all products here are so expansive. We need to buy all technology as we have none here. Not just cars, your almost all household things or everyday use things (even the toothpaste or water purifier or refrigerator or television etc none were invented in india). If we dont innovate we need to buy and if we need to buy than we need to pay! Its as simple as that.
It seems like you are trying to use some sort of history lesson to justify prices of cars. Are you seriously trying to say that because we weren't industrialised in sync with the West, we pay absurd prices for cars? Have you ever heard of taxes, levies, duties, and the lot? Do you know what EPCG rebates do to the prices of cars? Please read up.

Quote:
Coming to prices of oil, India doesnt have a daily price determination mechanism so prices here dont fall or rise daily or weekly. You should still thank the government for that otherwise we would be paying almost 100 rupees a liter nowadays!
I'll thank the government the day I begin to see BPL children well educated through the education cess I pay on my petrol. The day I see an ELRTS (remember that, Bangalore) using the ELRTS cess I pay on my petrol. Not to mentions some roads and highways using my development cess.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 16:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See, the entry price of fuel is ridiculously low. We pay huge taxes and levies. Can you believe, BLR Urban still pays a Gulf War tax?! Guess where that money is going?

I'll thank the government the day I begin to see BPL children well educated through the education cess I pay on my petrol. The day I see an ELRTS (remember that, Bangalore) using the ELRTS cess I pay on my petrol. Not to mentions some roads and highways using my development cess.
A bit but I had always wondered where this money for Education cess is going, Does anyone has any clue why we pay this on everything these days,where its going and hows it being utilised?
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote