Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th July 2005, 11:50   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED_DEMON82
Just read Bijoys few lines that he wrote about the Ferrari he drove in that issue in which all the BSM correspondents wrote a few lines about the rare exotic n super cars/sports cars they have driven in india. Just brings a smile to anyone who reads it. thats what it should be like.
Let me point out another e.g. of the unique style of BSM. In this month’s issue they have a review of a vintage Jaguar XJS V12 (1970’s). A photograph of the strutting Jaguar on the car’s hood is shown with a caption something like this:
“ I ve been prancing like this for three decades…Man, my thighs hurt…”

other car mags would have printed “The Jag makes a statement from hood.”
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 13:25   #47
BHPian

Default 'Top Gear' launched in India

'Top Gear' first magazine off the TOI-BBC JV rack

Indiantelevision.com Team
(17 August 2005 3:00 pm)

MUMBAI: Nine months after The Times of India Group and BBC Worldwide formed a joint venture WorldWide Media (WWM) for magazines the first new magazine has been launched. Not surprisingly the first title is Top Gear - the car magazine that serves as a companion piece to the television show which is hosted on BBC World by Jeremy Clarkson.

The issue was launched last night by Bollywood film star Ajay Devgan who is a car enthusiast. Speaking on the launch WWM director Ian Walton says, "This is the 11th edition of Top Gear and has around 1.5 million readers. It has changed the way the automobile industry is covered. The Indian magazine scene is vibrant and while it is difficult for me at this juncture to give the number of copies we expect to sell we are confident that the magazine will appeal to the men who form our core readership. We are also encouraged by the fact that India is the fastest growing car market in the world."

Talking about who the magazine has done in different parts of the world, Walton adds, "The reason that this magazine has done well in the various countries is due to the incredible journalism. Also we aim to entertain our readers while giving out information. That is not the case with a lot of online articles on cars. They mainly deal with facts and figures which can be boring. Our aim is to go beyond that and be a fun, witty and irreverent experience."

"As for other titles that we would launch in the future we have some ideas on the table that we are working on. The BBC Worldwide magazine catalog is vast and covers subjects like food, kids, history, gardening and women. Certainly some titles here have potential to do well in India. Perhaps six months down the line we would have decided on the next title," he added.

The editor of the Indian version of Top Gear is Gautam Sen who has been covering the auto motive sector for nearly two decades. Says Sen, "We are not afraid to call a spade a spade. Our aim for this consumer lifestyle magazine, as is the case all over, is to make it highly entertaining. Our motto is to always tell the truth for credibility matters. We may upset some people in the industry as a result of this but that is something we are prepared for."

=================================================
http://www.indiantelevision.com/head...aug/aug174.htm
=================================================
maedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2006, 20:19   #48

I feel Car India is hyped up a bit. OD loyalists seem to prefer sticking to OD rather than switch over despite Adil.Top Gear appears to be a clone Of the UK edition with a bit of indian generally law quality content.Staffed by ex-Auto Motor & Sport staff with a few others.I still like OD,ACI & BSM better than these two.
mysteryairship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 20:48   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryairship
I feel Car India is hyped up a bit. OD loyalists seem to prefer sticking to OD rather than switch over despite Adil.Top Gear appears to be a clone Of the UK edition with a bit of indian generally law quality content.Staffed by ex-Auto Motor & Sport staff with a few others.I still like OD,ACI & BSM better than these two.
Are you an archaeologist?? digging up an old thread like this??

I once bought the car india & now too i regret it.I feel overdrive is much better as it reveals more facts & values on test drives.Also i think they r more reliable, but that maybe bcoz i started reading automags with overdrive
hari_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 14:10   #50
BHPian

Default Re: Major changes at Overdrive and the Indian magazine industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sirish Chandran (ex-Overdrive editor) has set up a publishing company in Pune called Golden Sparrow Media Works. He's going to launch Evo India in the coming months. Much like Evo in the UK, Evo India will focus on driving / enthusiasts.....from affordable hatchbacks to 300 kph Supercars, from single-cylinder sports motorcycles to Superbikes.

Attachment 1089064
Evo magazine arriving in India.
Thilak29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 15:40   #51
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Major changes at Overdrive and the Indian magazine industry

Times have changed.

For me Overdrive is now a NO NO. They did not honour the last year of my 3 year subscription. They were able to send the renewal note by courier but not the magazines themselves. TG and Autocar do deliver by courier to the same location and made up for missed issues, while OD didn't.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote