Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 16:09   #496
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
Wow! This thread is running a marathon! Politics is such a great fuel
That's why Superadmin has banned discussing politics here. Otherwise you can imagine the no. of posts and length of all threads here...
snaronikar is offline  
Old 20th September 2008, 07:28   #497
Senior - BHPian
 
Latheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore/Kannur
Posts: 2,995
Thanked: 2,685 Times
Default

I do not think setting up a nano plant in Dharwad is a good idea,
Tata have some 400+ acre vacant land in DWD and acquiring remaining land is not a big issue there. But developing a local vendor base is difficult task for them.
Latheesh is online now  
Old 20th September 2008, 08:58   #498
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,796
Thanked: 4,412 Times
Default

Not really. Tata's try to keep a trusted pool of vendors for their supplies. With one plant already in progress, it's just a case of extending the vendor base there - not creating a fresh pool.
condor is online now  
Old 20th September 2008, 20:32   #499
Senior - BHPian
 
Latheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore/Kannur
Posts: 2,995
Thanked: 2,685 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not really. Tata's try to keep a trusted pool of vendors for their supplies. With one plant already in progress, it's just a case of extending the vendor base there - not creating a fresh pool.
existing vendor base!!! you must be joking, they are good for nothing for the project like nano (Hubli included). only advantage there it is site is exactly in between pune and bangalore where they have good vendor bases (pune have the edge here).

But for the project like nano where PRICE is the key factor TATA have an uphill task ahead!!!
Latheesh is online now  
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:12   #500
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC/MAA
Posts: 1,337
Thanked: 234 Times
Default

Apparently, the Singur story is reaching yet another stage in it's journey, as TATA Motors conveys to the WB Govt., their intent to pull out of there and Mamta Banerjee has issued a seven day ultimatum to the WB Govt. to honor the agreement initiated by the Governor. The situation is at a very critical stage.
nickatnite is offline  
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:21   #501
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MH42
Posts: 1,988
Thanked: 286 Times
Default

Exending vendor base is not problem for Tata motors at any site.
My brother is one of core 40 vendors of Tata motors.
He had set up plant at all stations where Tata motors has asked him to do.
ASHISHPALLOD is online now  
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:25   #502
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Apparently, the Singur story is reaching yet another stage in it's journey, as TATA Motors conveys to the WB Govt., their intent to pull out of there and Mamta Banerjee has issued a seven day ultimatum to the WB Govt. to honor the agreement initiated by the Governor. The situation is at a very critical stage.
The CM of WB featured on a very frank interview with ET yesterday where he tried to explain the crux of the problem (his version):

Approx 12,000 farmers were affected in Singur of whom 10,000 have collected compensation and agred to the terms. The balance 2,000 are either 'absentee farmers' or those without title to the land, who have not turned up to collect the compensation (for obvious reasons).

It was interesting to see the aged Communist talk about democracy and how the rule of the majority should hold when 10,000 out of 12,000 have no issues with the project.

He did also indirectly hint that the 'agitation' is also probably aimed at legalizing the holding of those without title so that they would be 'compensated' with land elsewhere with proper title from the government and all and that - the government had offered to take care of this situation by offering the same compensation to title-less farmers and share-croppers who didnt really own the land. However what Mamta wanted is "land within the complex" for such cases and not the compensation offered - which leads one to ponder what exactly her intentions are - why does she want land within a developed complex if not to gain by the rise in prices for 'developed land' with proximity to the complex?

This whole thing stinks like rotten fish. Time for them to walk away.

I wonder how much land Trinamool goons lay claim to in that area.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd September 2008 at 13:26.
Steeroid is offline  
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:32   #503
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
He did also indirectly hint that the 'agitation' is also probably aimed at legalizing the holding of those without title so that they would be 'compensated' with land elsewhere with proper title from the government and all and that - the government had offered to take care of this situation by offering the same compensation to title-less farmers and share-croppers who didnt really own the land.
Umm, there goes the "behind-the-scenes" news. Wondering why so much of issue with some minority of people. To me it looks like this is 100% possible and true.
mjothi is offline  
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:32   #504
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 426 Times
Default

Rediff reports that a team from Tata Motors which included the MD met with the Gujarat CM for talks on setting up the Nano plant there.

Source: Rediff
amit is offline  
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:36   #505
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Rediff reports that a team from Tata Motors which included the MD met with the Gujarat CM for talks on setting up the Nano plant there.

Source: Rediff
Oh, Whats this.

Seems all the states are ready to provide 1000 acres + offers to TATA except WB

Why don't WB learn from these states. Some minor group is spoiling the benefits to be enjoyed by all the other major groups.
mjothi is offline  
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:40   #506
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,898
Thanked: 7,451 Times
Default

It doesn't matter which party... you think the politician won't talk as if everything they did was just fine?

Of course, just because a politician says something doesn't make it false, but nothing these guys say should just be taken as simple truth.
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:49   #507
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
existing vendor base!!! you must be joking, they are good for nothing for the project like nano (Hubli included). only advantage there it is site is exactly in between pune and bangalore where they have good vendor bases (pune have the edge here).

But for the project like nano where PRICE is the key factor TATA have an uphill task ahead!!!
AFAIK, wherever the car manufacturers is going ther vendor base will also be moved along with them. I have seen this in many companies be it Toyota, Ford, Hyundai, Honda, Tata you name it. Tata is no exception. Vendors will be asked to set up the plants inside the territory of TATA and it will be called as vendors park and then they can do the "MILK RUN" in logistics. Hope you understand what milk run means. Moreover, for a voluminious product like Nano, you cannot expect the materials mainly the sub-assys to be delivered from a long distance. If they do like this, then the parts stock yard will end up with around 50~100 containers on daily basis. The best way is to follow TPS(Toyota Production System) which is proved world wide that it is the best system in any kind of auto industry.
snaronikar is offline  
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:10   #508
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

At the rate at which land is being offered by various states, I think Tata Motors can become a real estate company soon .

I wonder where is Karnataka CM going to find 1000 acres of land in Dharwad? Obviously, he will have to acquire land from farmers again.. which mean more agitation.
spadival is offline  
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:21   #509
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I wonder where is Karnataka CM going to find 1000 acres of land in Dharwad? Obviously, he will have to acquire land from farmers again.. which mean more agitation.
AFAIK, the north karnataka region beckons any industrial development from a long time. This being a major one, if any political party does throw a spanner, it will become a poll point to the opposition that these parties are against development in northern part of karnataka.

Moreover, Govt and Chief Secretary has mentioned in newspapers that land is available and it can be bought. I do sincerely hope if tata's plan to set up a plant, it will not be a singur like situation.

Last edited by snaronikar : 22nd September 2008 at 14:22.
snaronikar is offline  
Old 23rd September 2008, 06:45   #510
Senior - BHPian
 
Latheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore/Kannur
Posts: 2,995
Thanked: 2,685 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
AFAIK, the north karnataka region beckons any industrial development from a long time. This being a major one, if any political party does throw a spanner, it will become a poll point to the opposition that these parties are against development in northern part of karnataka.

Moreover, Govt and Chief Secretary has mentioned in newspapers that land is available and it can be bought. I do sincerely hope if tata's plan to set up a plant, it will not be a singur like situation.
As you are aware land acquisition is not big issue at Dharwad, TATA have 600+ acre land at dharwad (out of which 200+ acre is existing Telcon plant). getting remaining land is not a big issue here as these are not agri land. also vendors can set up their facilities at Belur Indl area which is about a km away from site.

and for vendor base, Hubli/DWD based vendors are good for nothing. and most of the existing vendors (for Telcon) are Jamshedpur/Kolkatta based companies and most of the employees are from North. For Telcon products almost all parts are coming from North/Pune/Blr/Chennai. very few Hubli/DWD industries supply components to the existing plant.
It is funny to see how Hubli/DWD based industries works!

Once as per the Hubli/DWD industry body's request we had tried to find some vendors in that area, I was part of the vendor evaluation team, what to say we could not find even 1 company who meets our requirement/standard.

FYI I am an Ex.TATA(Telcon) employee who spent almost 4 years at their DWD plant.

It is a very funny place to live!!

It is very difficult to control the price if they set up plant at DWD.

let's hope for the best
Latheesh is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics: The Abandoned Tata Nano Factory at Singur, West Bengal Rajeevraj The Indian Car Scene 58 7th September 2016 13:58
Ratan Tata praises rival Mahindra, rues Tata Motors' sales DukeNukem The Indian Car Scene 78 28th October 2013 22:50
M&M may pull out of their JV with Renault-Nissan: CNBC ashutoshb The Indian Car Scene 26 29th December 2008 18:52
M&M may pull out of their JV with Renault-Nissan tushky The Indian Car Scene 2 5th January 2008 05:40
4 bombs explode at tata plant at singur devarshi84 The Indian Car Scene 28 11th January 2007 21:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:01.

Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks