Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st March 2005, 13:15   #16
BHPian

12.1 sec to a 100kph for the City?? Why the huge difference in times between a City 1.5 and a VTEC(9.5 seconds,i believe) when the difference in max. HP is only 6? How come the NHC is only 0.2 sec - 0.8 sec behind cars having 90+ hp?
tacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2005, 13:21   #17
BHPian

Default Nhc

i have been along with my friend in NHC and the ride at 120 was very comfortable.
v_s_natarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 16:12   #18
BHPian

I have my experience after owning the NHC for six months. Yea, I agree NHC is a very good machine to drive in city, but while on highway it is underpowered. Well, I tried acheiving the timing [13.4 seconds to reache 100 kph] mentioned in this thred, to see whether the statistics are true. Yes, it is true provided if you drag the NHC in third gear to the max and fourth.

Last edited by contactme27 : 20th December 2005 at 16:14.
contactme27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 16:50   #19
BHPian

For overtaking on highways, planning is required for NHC with A/C and more luggage in the boot. You will not feel underpowered without A/C and less luggage.
narasimha raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 17:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Arrow City In The City

Hai BHPians,

NHC is gret in the cities where parking is not a problem and when you need to show-off a little.

On the highway its best not to push it beyond 120 or you're asking for it. You should be ready to grin-n-bear it when other big cars flash by to overtake you.

Everyday we have reports of people on the Ahmedabad-Baroda highway who have crashed our to control while speeding, surprisingly high numbers with NHC ! If you cross 120 the milage drops drastically too.

OK NHC lovers........... lunge for my throat.

--Ramky.
----------------------
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 18:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu
Any concerns with the stability at high speeds, say 80-90 kmph ? Does it make you feel light or is it just fine ?
cnu, From your pointed question, I think you have some experience that you want to confirm...

My test drive with NHC (I mean the "old" NHC, in June 2005) was pretty scary at around 100 kph at the Govandi flyover. The car became very light at the rear end when I did the curve and almost lost control.

I did a lot of research with automobile techies and I understood that the "old" NHC was excessively aerodynamic (for the sake of FE, what else?) which was why the high-speed stability problem arose. Although the design includes a built-in spoiler, it's inadequate to keep the rear wheels down at high speeds. In fact one very experienced techie warned me against taking this car on highways when you have a strong head wind. Under these conditions, even ordinary speeds could have the high speed stability problem. The "new" NHC is supposed to have partially addressed this flaw in two ways: (1) the rear length has been increased by 80 mm and (2) disc brakes have been introduced to rear wheels. I haven't test driven the NNHC, so can't comment.

The fundamental problem with NHC is that it was designed for bumper-to-bumper Bangkok traffic, so I wouldn't blame Honda if its design flaws show up in an environment it's not designed for.
msprabhakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 21:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

people take santros and wagonR's on the highways, so NHC certainly wont be a pain to drive for the same, but dont expect good highway performance that the competition in the segment offers.

optra and petra are the best highway cruisers. This is beacuse these cars dont compromise weight like hte japanese do. the only gripe will be those 1-2kmpl less you will get

baleno and lancer is a tie-up. Baleno has a good engine and now fatter tyre also. Lancer is a bit behind in power and a bit ahead in handling. both have similar FE levels to the NHC(maybe a max of 1kmpl more for the NHC)

yes the OHC has had weight problems. I have personally experienced it during my test drive. I took a turn and it had to be very planned at high speeds due to lack of a bit of control.Its really not that bad though and I would still want that vtec screamer. But its well planted for city driving and those straight line sprints. Still a better buy than the NHC though.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 21:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

@devarshi, it can't be just about the weight. I have driven petrol indigo and Petra on highways. While I was scared to push Indigo beyond 130-140, I could easily push Petra to 160+.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 22:12   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
@devarshi, it can't be just about the weight. I have driven petrol indigo and Petra on highways. While I was scared to push Indigo beyond 130-140, I could easily push Petra to 160+.
i think this is the limitation of the engine not the chassis .
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 23:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
My test drive with NHC (I mean the "old" NHC, in June 2005) was pretty scary at around 100 kph at the Govandi flyover. The car became very light at the rear end when I did the curve and almost lost control.
Don't know what the cause is but a sort of similar thing happened with me at a sharp curve at high speed. However i had thought that it was a problem with the tyres pressure and the fact that i was in the fifth gear.

Quote:
You should be ready to grin-n-bear it when other big cars flash by to overtake you
he he.. i know the feeling! Same thing happened to me also when i took my friends car once on the highway. Had a very interesting drag with an Esteem guy.Although on my part i had to content being happy looking at the tailpipe of many bigger cars.
(Did not want to redline the engine all the time..coz my friend was sitting with me.. )

Quote:
people take santros and wagonR's on the highways, so NHC certainly wont be a pain to drive for the same, but dont expect good highway performance that the competition in the segment offers.
This will be painfully obvious to those people that have driven or regularly drive other cars in the C segmant.The NHC felt lame after the Baleno, which is a hoot to drive on the highways.
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 12:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
i think this is the limitation of the engine not the chassis .
May be. But I was more concerned with steering feeling much lighter and body roll while changing lanes. (I was on 4 lane road).
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 12:20   #27
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar
cnu, From your pointed question, I think you have some experience that you want to confirm...
Well, that was the question I posted way back when I was deciding on my purchase. After owning NHC for close to 8 months now and driving over 10K on various roads, heres what I feel. And I agree with most of your points.

In the city, its an absolute delight to drive the NHC with its low end torque and low turning radius. The great interiors and cabin comfort makes me feel light whenever I am moving in the bumper-to-bumper traffic. The only time I feel alarmed is when I have to cross a stretch of a pot-holed road or move over those monstrous speed breakers. On many occassions the bottom hit the speed breakers but then its not the fault of the car. Blame goes to those maroons who don't follow the specifications while laying those speed breakers.

On highways, I have no complaints as long as I do not cross 100 kmph. Above 100, I didnot feel comfortable because of the following reasons -
- You feel the body roll on the corners because of its tall boy design.
- Because the steering is very light, you don't feel that you are in command and at times you feel over-steered.
- Ride is not smooth on rough roads and you feel that harshness.
For speeds around 80-90 I didnot see any issues and the drive was comfortable.

Overtaking has to be planned and if I have to hit the brake for some reason during overtaking, I had to give-up and try again (had experienced this many times) since there is no immediate response to the throttle.

I think most of the problems concerning the ride and handling have been addressed in the ZX. I need to go in for a test drive of the ZX though.

NHC (iDSI) as a package is good but if you are looking for sheer performance and driving experience at figures above 100 kmph then I think VTEC is the answer.
cnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 13:45   #28
BHPian

I don't think highway ride would be an issue in NHC. I have seen NHC overtaking my Palio 1.2 gracefully when I am running at 110 km/h. As others pointed out, I too felt steering is very light when compared to Palio. Seat comfort is wonderful and gear shift is top of the class.
prkothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 15:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
As others pointed out, I too felt steering is very light when compared to Palio.
That's a known issue with the EPS of the NHC. It suffers from vagueness in the center especially at high speeds. It feels light-so when you overtake a heavy vehicle in limited space it's better to hold it firmly with both hands.

Quote:
I don't think highway ride would be an issue in NHC. I have seen NHC overtaking my Palio 1.2 gracefully when I am running at 110 km/h
What does that imply? Any car travelling at (110+x) kmph would have overtaken you at 110 kmph in your palio. Any car like Zen and santro would have done the same as the NHC. Were you flooring your Palio when the NHC overtook you (gracefully?)

I think you are missing the pt. We are talking of relative performance w.r.t other cars. Performance while overtaking,start stop acceleration,instant throttle response and the like. This is where the NHC Idsi lacks w.r.t other cars in the 1.5-1.6L engine segmant.
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 18:23   #30
BHPian

The NHC is a 'realtively' slower car . I have driven it at speeds of 150+ on two occasions and would say that it a good highway car. Its more for cruising at high speeds rather than overtaking.
metallica is offline   Reply With Quote