Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th August 2008, 16:42   #1
BHPian

Default Are SUVs headed towards extinction?

Swiss campaigners launched a bid on Monday to ban off-roaders, SUVs and gas-guzzling executive and sports cars, winning enough support for a referendum.

Swiss to vote on SUV ban-Developmental Issues-Earth-The Times of India

Furthermore, new cars should weigh less than 2.2 tonnes and have a safer front in order to protect pedestrians. Cars which do not fit these criteria but are already registered should have a speed limit of 100 km/h, the initiators propose.

Even though the sales figures of SUVs in India is heading north, do you think they are gonna be extinct soon?

Last edited by Rough Square : 26th August 2008 at 16:44.
Rough Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 16:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Square View Post
Even though the sales figures of SUVs in India is heading north, do you think they are gonna be extinct soon?
I seriously doubt it. India is just waking up to the SUV market, don't see any signs of extinction for another couple of decades at least.

Apart from anything else, where will our politicos get their lean-mean-fighting machine image from if the SUVs go away?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 16:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes India is just waking up to SUV's. And I dont subscribe to blindly following the Western fads. After all, they were the ones who burnt out the most gasoline and other natural resources of the world in the last 40 years, in their mad consumption phase. So how can they sit there and dictate terms to us less developed/ yet developing countries who are just beginning to experience the consumption phase? Yes- we must conserve resources and not harm the environment etc, but when most of the damage has already been done by the developed nations, it is not fair to jam these strictures down our throats. However, we also can learn to be a little judicious and responsible in our consumption, unlike those countries.
This is why I personally am waiting for the Hybrid Scorpio launch - I hope it is priced well and I hope it succeeds in our market. It appears to combine the best of both worlds - the world of the SUV enthusiast as well as the world of the nature lover/ environmentally responsible person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I seriously doubt it. India is just waking up to the SUV market, don't see any signs of extinction for another couple of decades at least.

Apart from anything else, where will our politicos get their lean-mean-fighting machine image from if the SUVs go away?

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th August 2008 at 17:03. Reason: Fixed Quote
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:00   #4
BHPian

yesterday, I read a post on an American forum -"Does America needs mini cars?"
People said YES!!!HAHAHAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Square View Post
Sales figure in India is rising because people in India like Plastic and Carbon more than anything else. The Swiss are rich and beautiful, so to for them green trees and Environmental beauty is more important than SUVs. India on the other hand likes diesel and mud. Also , Swiss people have nice and soft skin, because their air is clean. <Yes, PUN intended> Since citizens themselves dont care much in the first place, I think policemen or politicians cannot change our society. Mother nature will change sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I seriously doubt it. India is just waking up to the SUV market, don't see any signs of extinction for another couple of decades at least
Not necessarily. 99% of the so called SUVs in India spend their time in city traffic. Since 1 billion people want to be on the road over here, petrol prices will go up and demand for SUVs will go down.

Just because India did not get to experience SUV market does not mean it has to experience one now. If people dont change their habbits, the mother nature will force them to change - due to shortage of oil & gas, low life expectancy due to pollution etc.

Also, the definition of SUV is not clear to most people. Size has nothing to do with being an SUV. Some people call a SUMO/Safari an SUV, and others call an Escalade an SUV - both of which is wrong. Both of these are UVs (remove S, as there is nothing sporty about them).

Land cruiser on the other hand may be correctly classified as an SUV.

So, did you all meant India needs UVs or SUVs? I think you all just meant that you want to see something that "looks" big and mean.

Regardless, India dont really need SUVs. If they want to carry people, then use Innova.
The current lineup of Mini SUVs like X-Trail / Vitara is GOOD ENOUGH!

Last edited by aerohit : 26th August 2008 at 17:17.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
So, did you all meant India needs UVs or SUVs? I think you all just meant that you want to see something that "looks" big and mean.
I think you missed reading the first post....and the context in which it was made.

Nobody's propagating or castigating SUVs - it just a simple question of whether they will head for extinction here in India. That's all.

Oh & yes - SUVs the world over are spending the majority of their time in city traffic; with the option of a weekend getaway. I think perhaps you are mixing up a hardcore off-roader with a SUV. LOL.

Last edited by suman : 26th August 2008 at 17:06.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is why I personally am waiting for the Hybrid Scorpio launch - I hope it is priced well .
I have read somewhere that Civic hybrid costs 20lacs in India. Thats almost twice the price of regular Civic. I doubt If Scorpio hybrid is gonna be reasonably priced.
Rough Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes India is just waking up to SUV's. And I dont subscribe to blindly following the Western fads. After all, they were the ones who burnt out the most gasoline and other natural resources of the world in the last 40 years, in their mad consumption phase. So how can they sit there and dictate terms to us less developed/ yet developing countries who are just beginning to experience the consumption phase? Yes- we must conserve resources and not harm the environment etc, but when most of the damage has already been done by the developed nations, it is not fair to jam these strictures down our throats. However, we also can learn to be a little judicious and responsible in our consumption, unlike those countries.
Although I agree with you about where the blame lies, in the final analysis it's not going to matter who burnt the house down or which room the fire started in. We are all going to suffer.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 18:30   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't think SUV's are headed toward extinction at all. Buttttttttttttttttttttttttt with fuel prices continually heading north, it is the casual SUV purchases that will be the most affected. Fuel-efficient cars are only going to become more popular with time, and unless someone really needs the space and functionality of an SUV, not many are going to be putting down a deposit on one.

On a related note, I think SUV's are actually the most practical cars for India. When you consider the state of our roads, especially highways, and the larger size of Indian families, SUVs make the most sense with their robust build, high ground clearance, torquey diesels and 3rd row of seats.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 18:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Dont know about the rest of the world but surly can say about india. India cannot live without SUV's. WHY??? because of our so called ROADS. With all these potholes in indian roads, indians are going for SUV's rather than Saloon cars.
nitinralli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 19:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

agree with GTO

but what about all the delhi wallas with bilack money?

With SUVs becoming rarer possessions, the core group will see dedicated offroaders and genuine posers who'll be willing to pay for that exclusivity!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 20:37   #11
BHPian

People in the US of A have started selling their big SUV's.They just take a lot of space and burn a lot of fuel.Absolutely no good for a daily commuter to office.

2 years ago seldom I used to see a bike but now the number of bikes here have increased.

With the rise of fuel prices a lot of SUV manufactures have now come up with Hybrid SUV's which give a 29mpg as good as a sedan.They have developed engine technology which shuts off 2 cylinders out of 6 to save fuel when its not required.
Also it can run on ethnol which here has started to show up at a few gas stations.

Where as in India if we could fit a CNG kit to a TATA Safari it wouldnt be a bad deal at all. I would be probably the first one to buy with this dual fuel option.
maxj2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 21:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Default Nope

With 'Bolero' winning the best SUV discussion on team bhp, I hardly have any doubt that SUVs will never extinct in India... Their usage will increase year by year and with smarter and more practical SUVs.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 21:09   #13
BHPian

SUV's can never be extinct in India, at least till the next 25-30 years as we are way below the western countries in the automobile growth curve. Another reason would be the Diesel SUV's give 10+ average and seem to be the most practical car for Indian conditions.
wolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 21:46   #14
BHPian

I was really looking forward to a good SUV, which is reasonably priced. I was even waiting for Outlander and Fortunner.
Now, my mind is changing and I do not think I may go for an SUV anymore. I normally drive alone, except at weekends with family, and I hope now its time for me to think about the social issues seriously. I have booked my bike for rides within 10 KMs. I am going to strongly follow this strategy. My present Sedan (though I do not won the best in this segment) should be fine for the family trips.

Those who want to have an SUV or own one and use it as a single user, just driving alone always- It’s time to think!

A petrol Giant on the road, single driver which eats double parking space in this crowded country with 6-8KMs/Litre, Boy..its really the time to think.

Last edited by agbenny : 26th August 2008 at 21:49.
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 23:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

in india the number of suvs are rising because indians havent seen a real gas guzzler suv yet and all indian suvs like scorpio ,safari CRV,GV are a lot more FE than chevy /ford/GMC suvs sold in US

so the i believe the heavy suvs might a some problems in terms of sales, but the small suv market will only grow in future

infact the impact on suv market is only because of fuel prices, but otherwise people still like suvs

Last edited by AMATMO : 26th August 2008 at 23:24.
AMATMO is offline   Reply With Quote