Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:43   #2206
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Official tracker of fuel prices. EDIT : Petrol going UP again on 16th September,

After the complete deregulation of petrol prices in June last year the prices have gone up by more than Rs.15/- per litre. 30% increase in prices is crazy beyond any definition.

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-petrol-change-over-year.png

With the anytime hike now we would be paying on an average Re.1/- higher prices for petrol on a Month on Month basis.


On a different note The price of petrol in Delhi should be Rs.80/-, I don't know why they OMC's are asking for such a small hike.

The change in Crude Oil Prices in INR Terms between June'10 and October '11 is more than 50% If it was true that the price hike in June '10 was to ensure the OMC's don't lose money then the cost of Petrol in Delhi today should be Rs. 80 per litre as per prevailing crude prices and USD rates.

But the OMC's claim they are losing only Rs.1.50 per litre.

Either they are underquoting their present losses or they took us all for a ride when they raised the prices in June'10.

Name:  crude change over a year.png
Views: 1110
Size:  89.4 KB

It's time the OMC's come out in the open on the price calculations they undertake while pricing petrol.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:06   #2207
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,534
Thanked: 1,153 Times
Default Re: Official tracker of fuel prices. EDIT : Petrol going UP again on 16th September,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Pathetic! Scary!! Alarming!!!! price rise has become common offlat... and i guess we will need to wait for next election for the prices to be reduced.

people with petrol cars will be badly hit, and me being one i know we neither can sell or live with it!!! am happy i have a cycle in my garage!
I relocated to Bombay and was planning to buy a car, but with the rising petrol prices I am thinking not to buy one.

Even if election comes, nothing is going to happen. They may reduce 10 paise or 50 paise at the max.

The Tax must be reduced so that there is some relief for the masses. But the Goverment will not do anything that is benefitial to the common man. If i was the Chief Minister of any state, I would have blindly announced 1% sales tax for petrol and 500% hike in traffic violation fines.

Believe me - If proper policing is introduced and all traffic violators are fined including vehicles and pedestrians, I am sure that the Govt would earn much more than taxes on Petrol.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 2nd November 2011 at 18:11.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:09   #2208
Max
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Thane
Posts: 534
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Official tracker of fuel prices. EDIT : Petrol going UP again on 16th September,

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
The Tax must be reduced so that there is some relief for the masses. But the Goverment will not do anything that is benefitial to the common man. If i was the Chief Minister of any state, I would have blindly announced 1% sales tax for petrol and 500% hike in traffic violation fines.

Believe me - If proper policing is introduced and all traffic violators are fined including vehicles and pedestrians, I am sure that the Govt would earn much more than taxes on Petrol.

Increasing traffic fines will only result in more bribe for traffic police. Few days back I was caught by thane traffic police cops in thane (at korum mall) for car parking in no parking zone, cop said I have to deposit license with him and collect it from RTO office after paying fine of Rs.200/-. I asked him why can't I pay fine here, he said its a new rule and senior inspector have given him such instructions. He was ready to issue me receipt for driving license custody as well. Frankly I don't have time to surrender license and go collect it from police station hence I paid him Rs.200 bribe and he let me go.

I can not pay fine on the spot, What kind of law is that?. Do you think its a good idea to give them more power by increasing fines so that they can harass us more?

Indian government is running huge deficit every year, which has widened this year due to low economic growth. Indian government needs more money hence they will never lower taxes on petrol. They will not increase price of diesel or deregulate it for political reasons hence petrol vehicle owners have to pay more prices. There fore next time when you see your buddy who owns an diesel car tell him he owe you a beer.

Last edited by Max : 2nd November 2011 at 20:13.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:50   #2209
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,534
Thanked: 1,153 Times
Default Re: Official tracker of fuel prices. EDIT : Petrol going UP again on 16th September,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Increasing traffic fines will only result in more bribe for traffic police. Few days back I was caught by thane traffic police cops in thane (at korum mall) for car parking in no parking zone, cop said I have to deposit license with him and collect it from RTO office after paying fine of Rs.200/-. I asked him why can't I pay fine here, he said its a new rule and senior inspector have given him such instructions. He was ready to issue me receipt for driving license custody as well. Frankly I don't have time to surrender license and go collect it from police station hence I paid him Rs.200 bribe and he let me go.
I am sorry to learn that you had to pay a fine, but i think parking in a no-parking zone is a traffic violation. I do not see anything worng in that. No Policeman directly asks for a bribe. He mentions the actual amount as per the MV Act and it is we who pay bribe instead of fine.


My idea of increasing Traffic fines is to deter people from breaking the traffic rules. At Dindoshi signal where i wait for my pick-up daily, I notice so many vehicles jumping the red light and trying to cross, scolding & using bad words on those cars which are following the traffic rules, coming in the opposite direction (as per the green signal).

If the goverment wants it can stop corruption and collect legitimate fines, but the govt will not enforce that. My idea of increasing fines is like charging 3000/- fine or 1000/- bribe to a biker who jumps the traffic light. 1000/- at the very least would definetly pinch the average commuter bike Joe. A 50 / 100 bribe is not going to deter anyone. If this is enforced, people will be forced to follow traffic rules.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 2nd November 2011 at 20:54.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:53   #2210
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,329
Thanked: 560 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Official tracker of fuel prices. EDIT : Petrol going UP again on 16th September,

The oil prices are at 91 dollars per barrel, is it so much that the prices in India have to go up?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:58   #2211
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: Official tracker of fuel prices. EDIT : Petrol going UP again on 16th September,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post

On a different note The price of petrol in Delhi should be Rs.80/-, I don't know why they OMC's are asking for such a small hike.

It's time the OMC's come out in the open on the price calculations they undertake while pricing petrol.
You are expecting to much. And do you think the guys sitting in cabinet and OMC do not know this?

They know what they are doing, and assume that we do not know what they know and they are doing

But seriously, this is going to rise the already high food prices due to transport and distribution cost.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:12   #2212
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,534
Thanked: 1,153 Times
Default Re: Official tracker of fuel prices. EDIT : Petrol going UP again on 16th September,

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The oil prices are at 91 dollars per barrel, is it so much that the prices in India have to go up?
trust me, even if barrel prices are $1 per barrel and Dollar - rupee is 1$ = 1 Rupee, still the goverment will look only to increase the cost. They oil companies will bring in a proposal in a few months to say that at this inflation rate, profit margins are thin to sustain and press for another rise or would say compared to other industries say hotel industry operating at 60% profit, even oil companies need the same profit level for due diligence etc. English is a language where you get beautiful words to slap a person

With the rising inflation, govt should bring income tax exemption (80xxx) to about 2 lacs at the very least, and increase the slabs also.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 2nd November 2011 at 21:16.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:17   #2213
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: mumbai
Posts: 450
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: Official tracker of fuel prices. EDIT : Petrol going UP again on 16th September,

Hi everybody
The high salaries paid at Indian Oil Corp(vide my post 2166 24th october)is it any wonder that we pay 71.92 per litre in bombay?
Intersetingly mark the difference between price in Delhi(66.84)and Bombay.The difference is the high taxes in Maharashtra.
A few years back petrol pump owners threatened to go on strike as they were losing business on diesel to Gujarat.The trucks were filling their trucks before entering maharashtra.The government met their demands to some extent and reduced the taxes for diesel.Unfortunately there is no such lobby for petrol users and we continue to pay one of the highest prices in the world in spite of the fact that we have a port as well as a refinery.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:26   #2214
BHPian
 
vigneshnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Official tracker of fuel prices. EDIT : Petrol going UP again on 16th September,

Seems Govt is openly encouraging Diesel car sales. In recent days, I'm seeing people ridiculing those who are checking out petrol cars.. sad .
vigneshnr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:41   #2215
Max
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Thane
Posts: 534
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Official tracker of fuel prices. EDIT : Petrol going UP again on 16th September,

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I am sorry to learn that you had to pay a fine, but i think parking in a no-parking zone is a traffic violation. I do not see anything worng in that. No Policeman directly asks for a bribe. He mentions the actual amount as per the MV Act and it is we who pay bribe instead of fine.


Let me be very clear first, In no way I am saying its okay to break a law and one who do should not be punished. I parked my car in no parking zone by mistake and I was ready to pay fine on the spot for it, but he wanted me to pay fine at police station which is 12Kms away from my home and who knows for what they will charge me. On top of that from what I know there is no such law to deposit license for parking car in no parking zone. Yes, It was my mistake I parked car in no parking zone but I was ready to pay fine on the spot, why I have to run around whole day because of small mistake and if cops worry so much about rules and regulation in the city why he accepted the bribe?. Also, There was nothing written on the receipt in the language I understand (i don't understand Marathi, yeah i know shame on me but it was not in my academic class and its not my first language) and on top of that they want receipt signed.

I understand I shouldn't have parked car in no parking zone on the first place and I got the message loud and clear and I will probably not do it again, however harassing people for small mistakes is not what I want from my government. From what I seen nobody deposited their license in front of me and everybody paid bribe, do you see what I am trying to say here?. Police should not be given too many powers to harass people because it only results in more bribe for them and harassment for common people.

Let me give you one more example, some lawyer told me, If non traffic cops stops your vehicle he has no right to ask you for insurance and pollution certificate because they are not traffic police. However, If you are further asked for documents by any cop who stopped you will ask you first for PUC because it carries maximum fine and they know they can mull more money out from you if you are not having PUC rather then lets say for not wearing helmet. Do you think they give a damn about environment or law and order?. Wake up my friend, welcome to India. Here more power to police means more harassment for common people.

Only times when I have seen traffic police honestly doing their duty is at the end of year when they have to meet their target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
My idea of increasing fines is like charging 3000/- fine or 1000/- bribe to a biker who jumps the traffic light. 1000/- at the very least would definetly pinch the average commuter bike Joe. A 50 / 100 bribe is not going to deter anyone. If this is enforced, people will be forced to follow traffic rules.
My friend, average biker who drives Rs.40000/- bike will not be able to pay Rs.3000/- fine for breaking a signal. How about fining them normally (Rs.200/-) and registering offense in their driving license and upon 2nd similar offense suspend his driving license for 1 month and give them severe punishment after few such repetitions or may be cancel his license?.

If you are seriously thinking about charging Rs.3000/- or Rs.1000/- fine for small traffic offenses, you are giving open invitation for more corruption and more harassment for common people.

Laws do exists but our police do not implement them, instead they use it for their own economic benefit.

Last edited by Max : 2nd November 2011 at 21:59.
Max is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:01   #2216
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Official tracker of fuel prices. EDIT : Petrol going UP again on 16th September,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
You are expecting to much. And do you think the guys sitting in cabinet and OMC do not know this?

They know what they are doing, and assume that we do not know what they know and they are doing

But seriously, this is going to rise the already high food prices due to transport and distribution cost.
Being a PSU am sure they can be questioned under RTI. May be I will have to find a good RTI activist to help me out.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:47   #2217
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,534
Thanked: 1,153 Times
Default Re: Official tracker of fuel prices. EDIT : Petrol going UP again on 16th September,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
My friend, average biker who drives Rs.40000/- bike will not be able to pay Rs.3000/- fine for breaking a signal.
If the person cannot afford the fine, he better not break traffic rules. More than the money part, it is to act as a detterent.
How about fining them normally (Rs.200/-) and registering offense in their driving license and upon 2nd similar offense suspend his driving license for 1 month and give them severe punishment after few such repetitions or may be cancel his license?.

This is an excellent suggestion from your side. I hope it is implemented.

If you are seriously thinking about charging Rs.3000/- or Rs.1000/- fine for small traffic offenses, you are giving open invitation for more corruption and more harassment for common people.

Laws do exists but our police do not implement them, instead they use it for their own economic benefit.
my answers in bold - the license suspension and punishment similar to the West appeals to me most.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 20:33   #2218
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 276
Thanked: 126 Times
Default re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Petrol price hiked by 1.82 rs/liter effective from midnight .

Oil companies hike petrol prices by Rs 1.82 per litre with effect from midnight tonight
needforspeed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 20:47   #2219
SAS
BHPian
 
SAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 280
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
Petrol price hiked by 1.82 rs/liter effective from midnight .

Oil companies hike petrol prices by Rs 1.82 per litre with effect from midnight tonight
Petrol in Mumbai costs almost Rs. 74 now. I feel like the auto union and the taxi union we need to start a car union. The collective strength should put some sense in the Govt and help it price petrol sensibly. Petrol now is as expensive in Mumbai as it is in Singapore.

I recently bought a Yamaha SZ bike for riding on the weekends but now I'm not too happy with my decision since it is cheaper to run my Alto which runs on CNG than my bike on petrol!!
SAS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 21:22   #2220
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,418
Thanked: 9,331 Times
Default re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
Petrol in Mumbai costs almost Rs. 74 now. I feel like the auto union and the taxi union we need to start a car union. The collective strength should put some sense in the Govt and help it price petrol sensibly. Petrol now is as expensive in Mumbai as it is in Singapore.

I recently bought a Yamaha SZ bike for riding on the weekends but now I'm not too happy with my decision since it is cheaper to run my Alto which runs on CNG than my bike on petrol!!
For a person with a small car and running of 1000 kms/ month getting an average of 14kmpl - its already upwards of INR 5000 per month!

Just the wrong time to be stuck with a swift diesel waiting period!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW to drop prices due to increased localisation. EDIT: New prices announced Aditya The Indian Car Scene 38 10th July 2015 21:19
Have official pioneer HU prices fallen? greenhorn In-Car Entertainment 3 11th January 2010 01:36
Hyundai Cut prices- New detailed prices. harry10 The Indian Car Scene 5 9th December 2008 00:45
Are these good prices for Tata\Fiat vehicles? Corporate Offer Prices sahakar The Indian Car Scene 15 8th July 2008 23:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks