Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2014, 15:59   #4021
BHPian
 
dass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 905
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
When crude price was last at this same low levels last in December 2010, Diesel was priced at Rs 37.75 per litre.

Will be fun to see what the new Govt does given their stand when in opposition
Wouldn't that be just awesome

Since Diesel prices were only increased on a monthly basis and not on the 15 days like petrol, I get a feeling that the diesel prices may be untouched this month and only be revised at the end of the month. I am hoping I am wrong on this.
dass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 16:26   #4022
BHPian
 
soumobakshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Well Well, first of all Diesel cars have a premium over petrol. Traditionally Diesel Cars are more fuel efficient than its Petrol counterpart And if you also bother to see that taxes that are applied on Petrol and on Diesel, you will come to know that Diesel is no longer taxed lesser in comparison to petrol.

So my logic will be to have common taxation norms for both the fuels and tax the vehicle at the time of procurement based on Mileage that it provides vis-a-vis the passenger carrying capacity.

Having said that a Cut in Diesel Price to the tune of INR. 4 + will be highly appreciated.
soumobakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 16:42   #4023
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,751
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Well Well, first of all Diesel cars have a premium over petrol. Traditionally Diesel Cars are more fuel efficient than its Petrol counterpart And if you also bother to see that taxes that are applied on Petrol and on Diesel, you will come to know that Diesel is no longer taxed lesser in comparison to petrol.

So my logic will be to have common taxation norms for both the fuels and tax the vehicle at the time of procurement based on Mileage that it provides vis-a-vis the passenger carrying capacity.

Having said that a Cut in Diesel Price to the tune of INR. 4 + will be highly appreciated.
Diesel cars have a premium for the engine technology, the turbocharger etc. A similar turbo petrol car would also be expensive.

I dont think there is any extra tax collected for Diesel vehicles yet(Though the extra 1 lakh we spend on diesel translates to more tax for govt.)

I save over 300 ltrs of fuel annually because of diesel. So i guess that is less pollution.
Petrol is not a clean fuel to be called as pollution friendly.

So i fail to understand the logic of Increase the tax on diesel part

Instead why cant we get full tax subsidy on Electric Vehicles ? Who knows, we might get the Tesla here in India soon too
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 17:15   #4024
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,784
Thanked: 16,927 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Just wondering if diesel does pollute more than petrol then why does a country like Singapore rely so heavily on diesel for public transport. All taxis in Singapore are diesel and so are buses. They are all diesel. Recently Prius Hybrid and CNG taxis are getting introduced but these are rare.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 17:38   #4025
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,167
Thanked: 2,934 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just wondering if diesel does pollute more than petrol then why does a country like Singapore rely so heavily on diesel for public transport. All taxis in Singapore are diesel and so are buses. They are all diesel. Recently Prius Hybrid and CNG taxis are getting introduced but these are rare.
+1 Vid. And we can safely add Europe to the list too. Probably the quality of diesel is much more refined?

Also I have always felt that we ignore a major aspect while calculating the effect of diesel on pollution. That is the amount of fuel saved. Like a member mentioned above, due to the higher FE, one tends to use considerably less litres of diesel per month compared to Petrol. How does that fare out in the long run in terms of total pollution contribution?
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 17:41   #4026
BHPian
 
blacksport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 522
Thanked: 459 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just wondering if diesel does pollute more than petrol then why does a country like Singapore rely so heavily on diesel for public transport. All taxis in Singapore are diesel and so are buses. They are all diesel. Recently Prius Hybrid and CNG taxis are getting introduced but these are rare.
Public transport = buses = diesel.
I lived in Singapore for a few years and as far as my memory goes, cars are largely petrol. Maybe things turned different recently.

I did some search and see that in Singapore, road tax on diesel cars are 4 times as that of petrol cars (twice for Euro V).
(http://www.sgcarmart.com/services/ro...calculator.php)

Also this:

Quote:
The quantum of the Special Tax for diesel cars takes into account the particulate matter emissions.
http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb...-for-cars.html
blacksport is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 17:49   #4027
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 777
Thanked: 683 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just wondering if diesel does pollute more than petrol then why does a country like Singapore rely so heavily on diesel for public transport. All taxis in Singapore are diesel and so are buses. They are all diesel. Recently Prius Hybrid and CNG taxis are getting introduced but these are rare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
+1 Vid. And we can safely add Europe to the list too. Probably the quality of diesel is much more refined?
Having lived in Singapore for a bit, most pvt cars are petrol. Public transport uses diesel, but moving to CNG/Hybrid/Hydrogen/Electric slowly.

Europe uses far cleaner diesel than ours, we will need to invest >60k crores to upgrade all our refineries to Euro-V. Even then petrol will still be cleaner than diesel.

Since our volume of usage is high & expected to grow even more, for us petrol/CNG/LPG/Electric is a better option for the future. The small petrol hatches are quite fuel efficient, give >18 kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Diesel cars have a premium for the engine technology, the turbocharger etc. A similar turbo petrol car would also be expensive.
Tata Zest 1.2 Turbo petrol models is 80k cheaper than the diesel, but also probably because of the royalty they have to pay to Fiat.

Last edited by gsurya : 14th October 2014 at 17:52.
gsurya is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 17:55   #4028
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,641
Thanked: 3,056 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

I think they pollute about the same, but the nature of pollution is different. In the US the same norms apply for both fuels. Here our dinosaurs are unable to cut sulphur content to meet true Euro V.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 20:30   #4029
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,784
Thanked: 16,927 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Public transport = buses = diesel.
I lived in Singapore for a few years and as far as my memory goes, cars are largely petrol. Maybe things turned different recently.
Private Cars are petrol but all cabs barring the new Prius hybrid's are diesel. they have always been diesel, from the old Toyota Crown to the Hyundai Sonata and now the Hyundai i40, Renault Latitude, Chevy Epica. All these are diesel's.

So all buses and all taxis being diesel is still a lot for a small country like singapore. 28,000 taxi cabs mostly all diesel.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 20:43   #4030
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,153
Thanked: 458 Times
Default

Do we have any confirmed news about the diesel cut as 15th is tomorrow?
harry10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 20:48   #4031
BHPian
 
azeemhafiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Private Cars are petrol but all cabs barring the new Prius hybrid's are diesel. they have always been diesel, from the old Toyota Crown to the Hyundai Sonata and now the Hyundai i40, Renault Latitude, Chevy Epica. All these are diesel's.

So all buses and all taxis being diesel is still a lot for a small country like singapore. 28,000 taxi cabs mostly all diesel.
The nature of pollutants matter. Here are a couple of articles worth reading. One of the reasons for higher adoption rates of Diesel in EU was tax breaks, now there is proposal to close the gap and potentially charge Diesel higher.

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...choking-cities

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...pollution.html
azeemhafiz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 21:26   #4032
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 89
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
When crude price was at this same low levels last in December 2010, Diesel was priced at Rs 37.75 per litre.

Will be fun to see what the new Govt does given their stand when in opposition
Please remember the INR to USD conversion. There is a significant difference between Dec 2010 and current conversion rates. Also, on a lighter note I feel many people trying to blame the current government for every single problem under the sun asking for acche din tomorrow itself. No offence meant please.
jagzrk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 21:31   #4033
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 777
Thanked: 683 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
Please remember the INR to USD conversion. There is a significant difference between Dec 2010 and current conversion rates. Also, on a lighter note I feel many people trying to blame the current government for every single problem under the sun asking for acche din tomorrow itself. No offence meant please.
I agree, but these same guys in Govt today had also promised to strengthen INR-USD to 40. As far as I can see, its weakened by 2 Rs since elections.

Well anyway, petrol is cheaper by 1 Rs since midnight today. Lets see when Diesel comes.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 21:58   #4034
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,107
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
The nature of pollutants matter. Here are a couple of articles worth reading. One of the reasons for higher adoption rates of Diesel in EU was tax breaks, now there is proposal to close the gap and potentially charge Diesel higher.
In Europe, diesel quality is very strictly controlled, and in Germany, for example, DP Filter is a must on the car, which must be changed every few years for keeping your road-worthiness certificate. This is miles away from the situation in India - I do not believe we are at an evolution stage, where similar can be enforced in India. Almost all trucks, overloaded, poorly/rarely serviced engines, are throwing out a lot of cancerous RSPM.
lancer_rit is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 23:21   #4035
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,467
Thanked: 3,440 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

I agree that diesel is more polluting. It's time to stop measuring "pollution" in terms of the ridiculous CO2 emissions in g/km! If CO2 was such a deadly pollutant, then are we humans (along with all other animals, and plants too) nasty creatures that pollute the Earth, for we exhale CO2 every moment of our lives? This carbon madness has to be stopped soon.

It's time to measure pollution in terms of the real pollutants and the harm they cause to living organisms. Particulate matter is among the nastiest of the lot, as it has been proven to be carcinogenic. Petrol is certainly less polluting than diesel, if carcinogenic particulate matter is taken into account, as it should be!

In India, it's the commercial vehicles (which belch out thick smoke containing loads of particulate matter) that cause far more pollution than diesel cars. These have to be reined in by making diesel particulate filters (DPFs) mandatory for ALL diesel vehicles. But DPFs will be useless in the absence of ultra low sulphur diesel, which the PSU oil cartel is incapable of providing at the moment.

There should be no more procrastination on upgrading the PSU refineries and making DPFs mandatory on all diesel vehicles. Even diesel loving Europe is going to start taking particulate matter emissions into account while calculating road tax.

Edit: After well over a year, the price of petrol in Chennai has dropped below the 70-rupee mark, to Rs. 69.59 at some PSU pumps. The price difference between the two fuels is now only Rs. 6.67 in Chennai. Yippee!

Last edited by RSR : 14th October 2014 at 23:42. Reason: Added the paragraph on fuel prices
RSR is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW to drop prices due to increased localisation. EDIT: New prices announced Aditya The Indian Car Scene 38 10th July 2015 21:19
Have official pioneer HU prices fallen? greenhorn In-Car Entertainment 3 11th January 2010 01:36
Hyundai Cut prices- New detailed prices. harry10 The Indian Car Scene 5 9th December 2008 00:45
Are these good prices for Tata\Fiat vehicles? Corporate Offer Prices sahakar The Indian Car Scene 15 8th July 2008 23:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks