Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 16:57   #4186
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,215
Thanked: 598 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
No what I am saying is that once the crude starts climbing up again, the government is not going to redcue the taxes that time right. And the so called buffoons will again ask for increase in prices for there services. So it will be a double blow to us.
Perhaps I've misunderstood something but why do you say they won't cut taxes if oil prices rise? The last government did it when oil was surging. This is really just a restoration.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 20:03   #4187
BHPian
 
torquecurve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 587
Thanked: 606 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

The govt will protect its turf. From a political perspective, they increase taxes when price drops so you still pay e.g.72 per litre of fuel.
When crude increases, they can reduce the taxes (with the customer being none the wiser) and still price it at about 73 (e.g.) per litre, which means for the mango man, that there is almost no change!
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 23:36   #4188
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 1,828
Thanked: 951 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Price deregulation is a big sham. Govt, and oil companies are fleecing us royally. All those people here worrying here about Govt. coffers would do well to know that even if you put all the money of the world in the kitty of GOI, next year they will tell you,,"khajana khali hai." The Govt. coffers are a bottomless pit. All the money of the universe cannot fill it. Evere since independence, not one year Govt. said, "this tear tax collection is robust and we have surplus budget. So, no new taxes this year or no rise in existing ones." Did any one ever hear this?
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 09:38   #4189
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 402 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I have no issues if Govt decided to increase the tax to fill their kitty instead of passing the benefit to the consumers, but at the same time I've 3 points to be made.
1. Does this means that fuel prices are not de-regulated ? Or they are only de-regulated when crude price increases?
2. Will the Govt cut taxes later on if the Crude prices increases?
3. From 114$ level to 78$ is a fall of 30% in prices even if I offset the Rupee vs Dollar deviation of 5% still prices should have been down by 25% which means petrol in Mumbai should be at 60 per liter, why are they silent on this.
Deregulation only means the subsidy on the product is gone. It does not mean Govt cannot reduce/increase duty/taxes on it. Worldwide taxes are the means of checking consumption. Nothing wrong with it.

If you go thru this article by Jagannathan:

http://firstbiz.firstpost.com/econom...ad-106691.html

In the years 2005-2013, fuel under-recoveries (or in other words subsidies) were a massive 8.33 Lakh Crores! To put into perspective, the entire Railways could have been modernized with this kind of money. Out of this 8L Crores Diesel subsidies were almost half of it or about 4 Lakh Crores compared petrol which was only about 22000 crores.

With Diesel price deregulation, this anomaly should not be seen anymore.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 09:48   #4190
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 601
Thanked: 533 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Deregulation only means the subsidy on the product is gone. It does not mean Govt cannot reduce/increase duty/taxes on it. Worldwide taxes are the means of checking consumption. Nothing wrong with it.
Not true. Govt increased the tax and simultaneously got the OMCs to drop the price. That means govt still controls pricing. If deregulation was in place, govt could decide the tax but not the price.

So this deregulation business has turned out to be a big sham.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 10:09   #4191
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,000
Thanked: 506 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Looks like people will never stop complaining. Petrol prices in Bangalore had touched 82Rs and now it is 69Rs. People were complaining when it was high and now people are complaining the rate decrease is not good enough. Some one very rightly pointed out adjusted to inflation and dollar rate this is as low as 50Rs.

I really don't know what the public is expecting. Controlled deregulation will only work in India where demand for fuels outstrip supply by such wide margins. True deregulation will mean Govt getting out of fuel business by privatizing all 3 major PSU oil companies. Are any one of us ready for such a situation where private companies decide everything like in US? What is stopping Shell or similar private companies from offering fuel at cheaper rates if things are so simple and straightforward? Are we ok with cooking gas prices reaching Rs1000 if deregulated? So why can't we stop ranting for a bit and enjoy the relative low prices before it start climbing up again.

Last edited by poloman : 19th November 2014 at 10:12.
poloman is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 10:19   #4192
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 402 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Not true. Govt increased the tax and simultaneously got the OMCs to drop the price. That means govt still controls pricing. If deregulation was in place, govt could decide the tax but not the price.

So this deregulation business has turned out to be a big sham.
Again, the non-existing price rise DOES NOT mean it is subsidy. It goes in account of OMCs, not govts. Yes its unfair on them (as so many things are with these PSUs) but thats life under socialism. Govt owns them and can do with them as it wishes (as is done with other utilities like AI or Railways or Hotels etc)

So Diesel is still deregulated for now that you really cannot question. The real test/questions will arise with regards to Govt's deregulation resolve if oil gets back to 120 levels (which seems less probable as of now but anything can happen if US leaves middle east).
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 10:25   #4193
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,215
Thanked: 598 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Looks like people will never stop complaining. Petrol prices in Bangalore had touched 82Rs and now it is 69Rs. People were complaining when it was high and now people are complaining the rate decrease is not good enough. Some one very rightly pointed out adjusted to inflation and dollar rate this is as low as 50Rs.

I really don't know what the public is expecting. Controlled deregulation will only work in India where demand for fuels outstrip supply by such wide margins. True deregulation will mean Govt getting out of fuel business by privatizing all 3 major PSU oil companies. Are any one of us ready for such a situation where private companies decide everything like in US? What is stopping Shell or similar private companies from offering fuel at cheaper rates if things are so simple and straightforward? Are we ok with cooking gas prices reaching Rs1000 if deregulated? So why can't we stop ranting for a bit and enjoy the relative low prices before it start climbing up again.
I totally agree. It puzzles me why fuel pricing is such a touchy issue. You don't see people getting this animated over the pricing of other commodities.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 10:59   #4194
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 143
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I totally agree. It puzzles me why fuel pricing is such a touchy issue. You don't see people getting this animated over the pricing of other commodities.
We are an auto forum, no? Fuel is at the core, toor dal is not!
carZest is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 11:08   #4195
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 601
Thanked: 533 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Again, the non-existing price rise DOES NOT mean it is subsidy. It goes in account of OMCs, not govts. Yes its unfair on them (as so many things are with these PSUs) but thats life under socialism. Govt owns them and can do with them as it wishes (as is done with other utilities like AI or Railways or Hotels etc)

So Diesel is still deregulated for now that you really cannot question. The real test/questions will arise with regards to Govt's deregulation resolve if oil gets back to 120 levels (which seems less probable as of now but anything can happen if US leaves middle east).
For the last few decades we had been leaving socialism behind and increasingly embracing a free market economy. OMCs, although are PSUs are more answerable to the investors than the govt. So it is imperative that govt stop fixing fuel prices and allow the companies to function independently. Else we are going back to the dark days.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 11:23   #4196
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 402 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I totally agree. It puzzles me why fuel pricing is such a touchy issue. You don't see people getting this animated over the pricing of other commodities.
This is the fuel price thread hence the discussion about fuel prices only

I guess a healthy discussion/debate should always be welcome. There are so many learning points. Theres both good points and bad points about increase/decrease of prices so theres a genuine merit in this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
OMCs, although are PSUs are more answerable to the investors than the govt. So it is imperative that govt stop fixing fuel prices and allow the companies to function independently. Else we are going back to the dark days.
In theory YES. Try telling it to the politicians!! If they dont get to manipulate even what they (they mean govt) own, what is then their raison d'Ítre to be in politics!

Last edited by joslicx : 19th November 2014 at 11:24.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 12:08   #4197
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,215
Thanked: 598 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
We are an auto forum, no? Fuel is at the core, toor dal is not!
That cracked me up .

But going by the auto forum theme, I still don't see people getting so agitated about car prices for example. They attract some discussion but not this kind of conspiracy mongering and anger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
This is the fuel price thread hence the discussion about fuel prices only

I guess a healthy discussion/debate should always be welcome. There are so many learning points. Theres both good points and bad points about increase/decrease of prices so theres a genuine merit in this discussion.
I'm not questioning the validity of the thread or the discussion but more the nature of the discussion, which is more ranting and venting and less to do with facts, in my opinion. Not to mention, if anybody states an unpopular/unpalatable fact, he/she is accused of being part of the evil empire!

Last edited by StarScream : 19th November 2014 at 12:14.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 12:07   #4198
BHPian
 
PMK-MoJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: KA51/AP07
Posts: 120
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Here is a video which says how the oil prices have gone up over the last 4 decades and the reason behind that.

https://in.screen.yahoo.com/all-time...112241456.html
PMK-MoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 21:20   #4199
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,541
Thanked: 1,006 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

I guess people will always complain with anything related to the govt. I am going to be optimistic and believe that the subsidy is over and for good and the OMC's are being allowed to operate in a transparent manner.
As someone already said, if there is indeed a nexus between Govt and the OMCs in looting the public, why don't the private players like Essar/Shell/Reliance step in and offer better quality at lower prices? What's stopping them? AFAIK, the Shell and Essar prices are still marginally higher than OMCs.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 13:06   #4200
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 436
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Have the OMC's started selling their premium fuel at discounted rate? Yesterday My Brother took his car at Indian Oil outlet at Breach Candy, their the attendant told him that he can fill Xtra Premium petrol at the same rate as normal petrol. He filled some 38 Ltrs of Petrol and he was charged the same price as normal petrol. After filling they took his sign on one register where they where maintaining some sort of log. Has anyone else heard this kind of stuff. I tried searching on net about any such offer but couldn't find it. The justification given by the pump was that they are making profit on sale ( due to recent cut in Crude rates) hence they are able to get this done.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW to drop prices due to increased localisation. EDIT: New prices announced Aditya The Indian Car Scene 38 10th July 2015 21:19
Have official pioneer HU prices fallen? greenhorn In-Car Entertainment 3 11th January 2010 01:36
Hyundai Cut prices- New detailed prices. harry10 The Indian Car Scene 5 9th December 2008 00:45
Are these good prices for Tata\Fiat vehicles? Corporate Offer Prices sahakar The Indian Car Scene 15 8th July 2008 23:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:21.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks