Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2015, 10:45   #4606
BHPian
 
glenmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 280
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
The petitioner wants to have short term fun with Rs 13 fuel price per litre. Not concerned about long term effects, fiscal deficits and Govt spending. Will this same petitioner be willing to pay market price when crude breaches prices of $140?
Werent we almost paying the market price when the prices shot up?
glenmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 16:01   #4607
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,641
Thanked: 1,169 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Nope, gas was 1Pound a litre in the U.K. when it was in the high 70s here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Werent we almost paying the market price when the prices shot up?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 16:49   #4608
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,641
Thanked: 3,056 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Now ATF prices cut 11.3% and it is now below Diesel as Kerosene (which is what ATF is) ought to be.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 17:24   #4609
Senior - BHPian
 
lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tura
Posts: 1,228
Thanked: 481 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

We don't typically like comparing with Pakistan. But still, to note a point, Pakistan has cut petrol prices by Rs. 8 yesterday.

Petrol in Pakistan as of today is cheaper than even CNG.

If Pakistan can do it ..

Last edited by lurker : 1st February 2015 at 17:25.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 20:46   #4610
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,641
Thanked: 1,169 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

They can reduce all they want since they really do not have actual petrol to sell well not much of it anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
We don't typically like comparing with Pakistan. But still, to note a point, Pakistan has cut petrol prices by Rs. 8 yesterday.

Petrol in Pakistan as of today is cheaper than even CNG.

If Pakistan can do it ..
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 21:34   #4611
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 436
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

While price cut on ATF and LPG has been announced, no news till now on Petrol or Diesel Prices. Does this means Govt has again conveniently chosen not to cut prices this fortnight ?
saurabhkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 22:47   #4612
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,365
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
We don't typically like comparing with Pakistan. But still, to note a point, Pakistan has cut petrol prices by Rs. 8 yesterday.
Pakistan cut the price way too much. Prices were cut to the extent that oil companies did not have liquidity to pay for supplies.

This resulted in widespread shortage (till govt helped by postponing the problem)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...9fe_story.html
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 23:00   #4613
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 402 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
While price cut on ATF and LPG has been announced, no news till now on Petrol or Diesel Prices. Does this means Govt has again conveniently chosen not to cut prices this fortnight ?
But crude has only gone up in the last fortnight by almost 8% (from 47.XX to ~53 dollars now)

http://oil-price.net/dashboard.php?l...de_price_large

I doubt there will be any price cuts.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 23:05   #4614
BHPian
 
drsingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 614
Thanked: 403 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

But crude has only gone up in the last fortnight by almost 8% (from 47.XX to ~53 dollars now)

http://oil-price.net/dashboard.php?l...de_price_large

I doubt there will be any price cuts.
No price cuts. The government will take steps to cut 'subsidies' and will probably give some income tax sops in the budget.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 01:42   #4615
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,454
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Actually, I'd prefer it if we are made to pay market price. We pay market price for food, then why not fuel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
+1 , it's not like our government is using our tax money wisely anyways. So why should we pay for their spending ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Werent we almost paying the market price when the prices shot up?
You all want fuel price to be market driven, then at Rs 13 per litre every Tom, Dick and Harry would out on road with his car driving around with traffic jam all across.

Then you all would blame Government for lowering prices which resulted in more traffic jam and pollution.

Humans tend to enjoy short term benefits over long term implications.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 08:14   #4616
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 601
Thanked: 535 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

You all want fuel price to be market driven, then at Rs 13 per litre every Tom, Dick and Harry would out on road with his car driving around with traffic jam all across.

Then you all would blame Government for lowering prices which resulted in more traffic jam and pollution.

Humans tend to enjoy short term benefits over long term implications.
I would not blame the govt. Even toms, dicks and harrys have the right to drive. The problem is with the snobs who think that it is only them who are good enough to drive.

When onion prices fall to Rs 2 per kg, would you want the govt to step in and inflate the price so that every tom, dick and harry do not start eating onions?

One should use short-term benefits, cos in the long term we would all be dead.

Last edited by civic-sense : 2nd February 2015 at 08:31.
civic-sense is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 08:30   #4617
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,605
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
When onion prices fall to Rs 2 per kg, would you want the govt to step in and inflate the price so that every tom, dick and harry do not start eating onions?
Yes it is desirable, so that the tom, dick and harry farmers do not give their heads to the noose.

Why fret petroleum taxes alone? The government(even UPA too, so this is out of political coloring) did curb gold imports through every mean possible.

'Socialist' is there in the preamble of the constitution still, so some kind of State intervention is unavoidable.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 08:35   #4618
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 601
Thanked: 535 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

Yes it is desirable, so that the tom, dick and harry farmers do not give their heads to the noose.
Do you mean to say that the govt is doing all these to save the Arabs from starvation, so that they do not reach for the noose? ☺
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 08:55   #4619
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,365
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
IWhen onion prices fall to Rs 2 per kg, would you want the govt to step in and inflate the price so that every tom, dick and harry do not start eating onions?
One major difference in something like onions and petrol is Foreign Exchange.

We, as a country have a limited amount of Fuel that can be purchased. This limit is determined by the amount of dollors we have. So it makes sense to not impact the forex reserves by increasing the demand.

For example: Pakistan cut the price so low, they did not even have the forex to purchase crude anymore.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:15   #4620
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 601
Thanked: 535 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

One major difference in something like onions and petrol is Foreign Exchange.

We, as a country have a limited amount of Fuel that can be purchased. This limit is determined by the amount of dollors we have. So it makes sense to not impact the forex reserves by increasing the demand.

For example: Pakistan cut the price so low, they did not even have the forex to purchase crude anymore.
That's not too bad of a reasoning, but when crude prices fall to a third, they spend a third of the price they were originally paying. So to even pay the same amount, consumption has to triple, which I don't think is realistic.

Basically, I'd like it if the market is left to fend for itself. Govt should stay away. I do not think that this govt wants to see itself as being even remotely socialist.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW to drop prices due to increased localisation. EDIT: New prices announced Aditya The Indian Car Scene 38 10th July 2015 21:19
Have official pioneer HU prices fallen? greenhorn In-Car Entertainment 3 11th January 2010 01:36
Hyundai Cut prices- New detailed prices. harry10 The Indian Car Scene 5 9th December 2008 00:45
Are these good prices for Tata\Fiat vehicles? Corporate Offer Prices sahakar The Indian Car Scene 15 8th July 2008 23:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks