Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2016, 15:41   #5506
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,504
Thanked: 810 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Well, how long will the govt keep increasing fuel prices ? We have a hawk-eyed RBI governor , who's going to hike interest rates with inflation in sight. Inflation figures came in high in April , and with this hike is bound to stay high. When diesel goes up everything from food to the school bus fare shoot up.

The govt can have either economic growth, or reduced fiscal deficit by taxing fuel - but not both. Catch 22 situation.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 15:44   #5507
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,637
Thanked: 3,051 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJITHAAA View Post
Scams and goof ups apart, I really appreciate MMS for fuel pricing.
and also for leaving a massive deficit and inflation. Inflation is the termite which eats into our savings, esp of retired folk like yours truly. ₹2 per litre adds may be 0.1% to our bills, 5% inflation eats up 5% of out savings. Keynesian's like Pranab, Amartya Sen, SoniasNAC, or the new avatar Swamy all subscribe to this view. MMS brought in Rajan I think to curb this. I remember every budget as a kid, taxes will go up (Income Tax hit 93 or was it 97% in Indira days). at Budget time the markets will just go dry!

Last edited by sgiitk : 1st June 2016 at 15:49.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 16:22   #5508
BHPian
 
AJITHAAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 94
Thanked: 176 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
and also for leaving a massive deficit and inflation. Inflation is the termite which eats into our savings, esp of retired folk like yours truly. ₹2 per litre adds may be 0.1% to our bills, 5% inflation eats up 5% of out savings. Keynesian's like Pranab, Amartya Sen, SoniasNAC, or the new avatar Swamy all subscribe to this view. MMS brought in Rajan I think to curb this. I remember every budget as a kid, taxes will go up (Income Tax hit 93 or was it 97% in Indira days). at Budget time the markets will just go dry!
So what's the solution. We are being screwed both ways. One team keeps fuel prices at ~Rs.65-68(petrol) when crude price is $110. The other team comes around and holds the price at the same level when the crude price is at $40. Add to that the inflation of food items is at record highs. So where do we save anything?
The whole thing is a scam.
Income tax, why not abolish it as only 3% of the population are punished with it. 30% earnings are gone straight away and above that we have to pay taxes on everything else.
AJITHAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 16:31   #5509
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,378
Thanked: 1,395 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJITHAAA View Post
Scams and goof ups apart, I really appreciate MMS for fuel pricing.
Majority of the time, he ruled when the global financial and Petroleum price conditions were very bad. The ones ruling now has things which are a lot more easier. Still they are squeezing us in fuel prices on every possible front.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 1st June 2016 at 16:32.
romeomidhun is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 18:03   #5510
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 111
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

What is with the diesel price hike? It is almost at par with the petrol hike. Historically (and I am talking after decontrolling the diesel), petrol hike used to be marginally higher. Are they really following the market based pricing for diesel. It seems they are not and want to intentionally bring diesel price as close to petrol as possible. Diesel is suddenly the step child after the environmental impact brouhaha.

Last edited by AKTRACK : 1st June 2016 at 18:04. Reason: add info
AKTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 19:14   #5511
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,637
Thanked: 3,051 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJITHAAA View Post
So what's the solution. We are being screwed both ways. 1. One team keeps fuel prices at ~Rs.65-68(petrol) when crude price is $110. The other team comes around and holds the price at the same level when the crude price is at $40. Add to that the inflation of food items is at record highs. So where do we save anything?
The whole thing is a scam.
I2. ncome tax, why not abolish it as only 3% of the population are punished with it. 30% earnings are gone straight away and above that we have to pay taxes on everything else.
1. By putting in a massive subsidy esp on Diesel. Also, on Gasoline, and LPG. Fueling inflation to 10%. Also, drove all private players off the market (the main aim of the socialists - total state control).

2. Remember Income Tax is

i. the most efficient to collect. Expand the base by taxing agricultural income for starters.

ii. It is progressive - you pay more (tax rate) as you earn more. On the other hand other taxes are indiscriminate and hence regressive. What I will like to see in the introduction of Agricultural Income Tax.

At one time by hiking Income Tax to 90% plus we made tax evasion a sport. I have no issues with Tax Avoidance, which is legitimate. Every time tax rates were reduced tax receipts went up.

One interesting study, Gurugram a very high percentage pays by card, nearby Delhi mostly cash. Feel free to draw your conclusions.

Last edited by sgiitk : 1st June 2016 at 19:15.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 19:17   #5512
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,637
Thanked: 3,051 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
What is with the diesel price hike? It is almost at par with the petrol hike. Historically (and I am talking after decontrolling the diesel), petrol hike used to be marginally higher. Are they really following the market based pricing for diesel. It seems they are not and want to intentionally bring diesel price as close to petrol as possible. Diesel is suddenly the step child after the environmental impact brouhaha.
In the west Diesel is costlier than Petrol. Take GB, US, D, CH etc. With us Diesel is taxed much less than Petrol. Equalize all taxes and levies, then reality will be out.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 20:20   #5513
BHPian
 
AJITHAAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 94
Thanked: 176 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
1. By putting in a massive subsidy esp on Diesel. Also, on Gasoline, and LPG. Fueling inflation to 10%. Also, drove all private players off the market (the main aim of the socialists - total state control).

2. Remember Income Tax is

i. the most efficient to collect. Expand the base by taxing agricultural income for starters.

ii. It is progressive - you pay more (tax rate) as you earn more. On the other hand other taxes are indiscriminate and hence regressive. What I will like to see in the introduction of Agricultural Income Tax.

At one time by hiking Income Tax to 90% plus we made tax evasion a sport. I have no issues with Tax Avoidance, which is legitimate. Every time tax rates were reduced tax receipts went up.

One interesting study, Gurugram a very high percentage pays by card, nearby Delhi mostly cash. Feel free to draw your conclusions.
Subsidies are long gone on fuel at least. Now its the excise duties which where jacked up to keep the fuel prices higher on a lame excuse and now fuel prices are being raised based on the international sneeze. Which again is not per the actual trend.
Even after 70 years of self rule only 3% are income tax payers, I feel like a class less citizen. But who cares as long as they are getting my 30% free money.
Tax on agriculture income is a non starter in India.
AJITHAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 09:38   #5514
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,637
Thanked: 3,051 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

@AJITHAA; I tend to agree up front, but what really triggered Excise Increases was the states defining a new 'animal' Floor VAT. It started with UP and Delhi. They had gone fat on the VAT they were collecting. So they would have kept hiking VAT and not let us have fuel any cheaper.

Also, remember the difference between tax and cess/levy. A percentage of the Tax (I think now 42%) goes to the states, while the cess/levy stays with the centre.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 09:55   #5515
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,215
Thanked: 598 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

China has a clear policy - below $40/barrel retail fuel prices don't change. That is the floor - ostensibly to discourage consumption and curb pollution. The same seems to be the case in India but no one says it explicitly.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 11:48   #5516
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: shimla
Posts: 213
Thanked: 191 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

The government hints that excise duty may be reduced if crude averages above 50 dollars a barrel.

Quote:
The Central government is set to cut excise duty on petroleum products if global crude prices stay over $50 per barrel for a sustained period. "We will consider reducing the excise duty on petroleum if crude stays beyond $50 for a certain period," a senior government official said on condition of anonymity.

See more at -> The Indian Express - Eye on global crude: Fuel taxes may be cut if oil prices stay above $50/bbl

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd June 2016 at 19:02. Reason: Link fixed.
bullrun87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:09   #5517
JD1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 231
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

I want to relocate to Goa
Goa reduces VAT from 20% to 15% to keep Petrol price below 60-

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/your-mon...-rs-60-1414670
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:07   #5518
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,390
Thanked: 1,088 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@AJITHAA; I tend to agree up front, but what really triggered Excise Increases was the states defining a new 'animal' Floor VAT. It started with UP and Delhi. They had gone fat on the VAT they were collecting. So they would have kept hiking VAT and not let us have fuel any cheaper.

Also, remember the difference between tax and cess/levy. A percentage of the Tax (I think now 42%) goes to the states, while the cess/levy stays with the centre.
That should not be the excuse for increasing excise duty. It is simply the greed on part of Finance ministry. They will never tax the vote bank but keep milking the minorities (read Income Tax payers and middle class) as that will help filling up the coffers without any impact on the vote bank. It is very clever strategy IMO. We say 42% goes to states but at the same time 68% goes into Centre's pocket. I am afraid that soon they will add 15% of Service tax on fuel as the petrol pump attendant gives us a service by filling our tank!
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:01   #5519
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,637
Thanked: 3,051 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

@sourabhzen; 42%+68% is 110% imho. Maybe my maths is getting dated, or I see a bit of skewed arithmetic. As per the PM the states get about 65% of the resources overall at their discretion. I see no reason not to tax the agricultural income at least of the richer farmers.

If I remember right the business of raising Excise started only after states started jacking up VAT. I guess you hold the FM responsible for the abomination called floor VAT. Started with UP and Delhi.

In any case at least Gadkari is building roads, while Delhi is busy advertising its so called achievements, and UP sending another tiger to die in the safari park (the latest has also fallen sick), or giving 45 lacs to Akhlaq's family.

If the centre will start cutting Excise once crude crosses $50 then it is fine. Remember you cannot print money as Indira used to do, but have to balance the books.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 15:45   #5520
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,504
Thanked: 810 Times
Default Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

A good article on how good demand in India is lifting oil prices.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/millions...ift-1465252035
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW to drop prices due to increased localisation. EDIT: New prices announced Aditya The Indian Car Scene 38 10th July 2015 21:19
Have official pioneer HU prices fallen? greenhorn In-Car Entertainment 3 11th January 2010 01:36
Hyundai Cut prices- New detailed prices. harry10 The Indian Car Scene 5 9th December 2008 00:45
Are these good prices for Tata\Fiat vehicles? Corporate Offer Prices sahakar The Indian Car Scene 15 8th July 2008 23:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks