Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd March 2005, 12:18   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks once again. And this is the Accent 1.6 as in 'not the Viva'?
Nope, the Viva is 13.66 and 170.6kmph. Tornado is faster, at 13.17 and 171kmph.

But, the point is that both are still slower than the heavier and less powerful Petra.

Being 105 kgs lighter and with 2 bhp more, i'd have expected the Accents to be in the 11 sec bracket, but that is not the case here.

The 98.26bhp/ton ratio of the Tornado is higher than the Baleno's 96.41 bhp/ton. So, technically the Accent should be faster than the Baleno.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd March 2005 at 12:25.
Old 23rd March 2005, 12:33   #107
Senior - BHPian

Shan

1. Throttle Lag

2. Gearing - I feel its top-heavy as the Accent feels best at decent speeds.

But do try to revert to the discussion on Fiats.

Cheers

Steer
Old 23rd March 2005, 12:53   #108
Team-BHP Support

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Shan

1. Throttle Lag

2. Gearing - I feel its top-heavy as the Accent feels best at decent speeds.

But do try to revert to the discussion on Fiats.

Cheers

Steer
Hey Steer

In one word, could you please tell me whether you are still trying to defend the Accent against the Petra???
Old 23rd March 2005, 13:04   #109
Senior - BHPian

In one word - NO. Like I mentioned, the point is about the PPS: Petra Palio Syndrome.

There was a discussion on acceleration figures so I spoke for my vehicle. I have also requested them to revert to the topic, so that should let you know that the discusison on the Accent was incidental.

Cheers

Steer
Old 23rd March 2005, 14:15   #110
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Steeroid
For Rahulmd:

Hype (Transitive Verb) =

1. Put On, Deceive
2. Promote or publicize extravagantly

Hype (Noun) =
PUBLICITY; especially promotional publicity of an extravagant or contrived kind
[/QUOTE]

Alright, let's stick to the point. I have already discussed why Fiat cars are not overrated. Refer to this post. If you can explain or prove that I am wrong, I'll be happy to agree with your contention that Fiat cars are overhyped or overrated.
Old 23rd March 2005, 14:52   #111
Senior - BHPian

Fiats are not over hyped or over rated. Just the owners are posessive about their cars. When a car is not selling well, the people owning the cars will try to pass the message about the good things of the car. Thats what happening here. BTW, whatever numbers Fiat sells in India, majority of them are sold only through word of mouth.

People are not promoting Fiat to get others in to troubles. Just because they are very much satisfied with the car, they are recommending to others too. There is nothing wrong in that. We are suggesting Fiats only to those people who are shopping for hatchbacks or lower mid size cars because Fiats are one of the best cars in those classes. We are not recommending Fiats when people are looks for Carollas , Octavias or Sonatas.

To my knowledge, Fiat is the only Indian car company to have an online user group. The group is called Paliousersindia and is maintained in Yahoo groups. Such is the passion that people have for their Palios and Petras.
Old 23rd March 2005, 15:14   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
To my knowledge, Fiat is the only Indian car company to have an online user group. The group is called Paliousersindia and is maintained in Yahoo groups. Such is the passion that people have for their Palios and Petras.
Although I like Fiat cars, would like to correct your statement... there are groups of other cars like Santros & Indicas as well. Infact there is a group named 'santro_hyundai_haters' as well

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 23rd March 2005 at 15:16.
Old 23rd March 2005, 16:14   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Infact there is a group named 'santro_hyundai_haters' as well
Dippy!! Are you listening to this?? I bet a certain Mr. S Gupta must a be having a blast there, or rather blasting away. LOL

Shan2nu
Old 23rd March 2005, 23:11   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Put On, Deceive
2. Promote or publicize extravagantly

Hype (Noun) =

PUBLICITY; especially promotional publicity of an extravagant or contrived kind

So this is the defination of over-hyped/over-rated. Who in their right senses believes that fiat india have put on or decieved or promoted or publized extravagently their cars! Promotional publicity of extravagent or contrived kind? Extravagent? and Fiat? they don't talk about their cars for god's sake! Contrived? LOL. These guys didn't have the petra listed on their websites. Steer thinks that fiat's are over-rated and this is the defination he gave of over-rated or over-hyped. how many members here believe after that defination that fiat is over-hyped? Case Closed.
Old 23rd March 2005, 23:29   #115
Senior - BHPian

I think someone has already said this here but i believe no car in the world is over-hyped or over-rated. companies may advertise anything. Hyundai shows the Accent beating F-3 cars, moving on 2 wheels , dodging missiles. If you believe that and buy the car thinking it will do all that and then complain here that the car is over-rated, who is to blame?
let me give my example.
In 1999 I was looking for a basic car. Mileage was extremely important to me but at the same time i wanted good technology and safety too. which car i bought? Matiz. Remember, MPFI was a big thing then. Do i think that car was over-rated? No, because it gave me what i wanted and i knew what it would give me. The style was great, the comfort and space was best in it's segment, the mileage was best in it's segment too and it felt good to know that it was safe. Trust me I can vouch for the safety of that car because a Mahindra Jeep banged into me from the front and inside i hardly felt a thing. The car took a big shunt but for all it's cute looks it was a tough cookie.
Today i have a palio 1.6. Almost everyone i knew asked me not to buy the car. But i knew that the Palio had everything i wanted. looks, style, performance, build, safety..it had everything. (you must have noticed this time i didn't mention mileage) Am i happy with my car? of course i am because it's giving me exactly what i expected it to give me when i bought it. nothing more nothing less.
Using the standard defination of over-hyped or over-rated which has been given here, I would say all Hyundai cars specially Accent is over-rated. Hyundai claims the car will dodge missiles. If that is not extravagent and contrived promotion i don't know what is. Hyundai claims the car will beat F3 cars , you can also play soccer driving your car. IF that is not mis-leading the consumers then what is? Lets see, Palio excells in certain things in it's segment. The 1.2 has best in class build quality, the 1.6 has/had best in class performance for it's price, the 1.9D has best in class technology, the entire palio range is probably second to Corsa in ride quality and best in class handling too. Did fiat claim the car gives good milege ever? I know people who bought the GTX because they got excited with that magic figure of 100bhp. Every dealer gives you a brochure when you go. Did a single buyer go through it to see what the weight of the car is? NO. Then they complain that the car gives 9kmpl as against Santro's 10 kmpl.
some people are not happy about what they call the PPS. Oh well, we are so sorry for wanting people to own the best car for the price in it's segment. We admit our mistake. Next time we will recommend sh**y cars and not good ones. Thank you.
I would like to know why a tata or hyundai owner never gets brickbats for recommending their cars to others? how about a IIS (Indica, Indigo Syndrome) or a SAESS (Santro, Accent, Elantra, Sonata Syndrome).
Old 23rd March 2005, 23:48   #116
BHPian

again going off topic, with respect to another manufacturer ...

the latest issue of Overdrive has a snippet on the financial woes of Mitsubishi, the only Japanese car maker to consistently notch up losses.

while i do not have the financial background to evaluate who is in worse trouble, the numbers quoted in the Mitsubishi article were quite bad.

But not one member in this board seems to be bothered with Mitsubishi.

The way it looks to me, FIAT is just irresistible to everyone, the believers as well as the nay-sayers. So there is definitely something involving about FIAT.
Old 24th March 2005, 00:17   #117
Senior - BHPian

Amit dude
Have you begun hating FIAT haters.
Seems you are pissed off while you were writing this post.
Anyway,
I agree that the accent is very overhyped.
But i am still trying to figure out why anyone would thing fiat is OVER RATED.
The only thing i can thing of is because recently we have been having a lot of discussions on fiat.
Old 24th March 2005, 00:31   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you begun hating FIAT haters.
hey Lambo...
No i don't hate anyone but this thread seems like someone hates fiat car owners and all those who recommend fiat's in general.
I forgot to add this. Palio excells in some things in it's segment. I would like to know what does the Accent excell in? Build? (Petra, corsa are better), Performance (Ikon, Petra beat it hollow), Ride quality? ( Corsa, Petra are better), Handling? (Ikon, Petra are better), Mileage? ( Ikon, Corsa are as good or as bad as Accent. Baleno & NHC beat it hollow), After Sales Service? (Maruti Baleno is better), Cheap Spares? ( Read ACI and you will be surprised at how costly some parts are). Now doesn't this qualify as a super over-hyped and super duper over rated car?

Quote:
The only thing i can thing of is because recently we have been having a lot of discussions on fiat.
I don't think thats the reason for this thread. As Rishi has said in his post, it's criminal comparing the Petra to the Accent. And to quote myself from that post, Comparing a Petra to the accent is like comparing a Sukhoi to a bullock cart.
Old 24th March 2005, 01:10   #119
Senior - BHPian

Hey Amit,
I agree with you fully.
If you notice, in most of the factors that contribute towards the best car segment, the petra has beaten the accent hollow and FE is as bad as that of an accent 1.5 if driven with a light foot.
Infact, it can even better it.
Old 24th March 2005, 03:55   #120
Senior - BHPian

I feel Indian market is extremely thoughtful when it comes to the preference of cars and I dont really think hype would really influence a buyer.... Well talking bout if FIAT is overrated or not, lemme start off by asking something to people who feel its overrated: by the number of cars FIAT is selling in india what makes you even think FIAT cars are overrated??? Palio is great looking, better handling and a reliable performer for the price that its offered...whats the overrated thing all about??? Tell me one car which looks as good, performs and is as reliable, in the hatch category, at that price in India?????Please dont tell me getz n stuff as they werent even born when palios turned middle aged.
OVERRATED is a term used when some thing is selling more than it really deserves, but I dont see palios every 100cars on M.G road!!!!uknow what I mean...
One more thing, it would be stupid to even consider world market while making comments on Indian FIAT scene simply because its INDIA!!! It happens only in India...remmember that song...sometimes suddenly starts making sense!!!
Closed Thread