Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2011, 10:41   #466
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
As usual with sales guys, he is only partially true.

Yes, diesels less than 1.5L, and petrols less than 1.2L do qualify for lower (small car) tax bracket, provided they are less than 4 metres in length.

SX4 is 4490m and hence it wont qualify!

(However, Maruti is working on bringing the DZire in this tax bracket. DZire has 1.2L petrol, and 1.3L diesels which will qualify if its length is brought under 4m)
Actually there is another tax which is levied on vehicles solely based on engine capacity. There is a flat Rs 10000 levied on all cars with engine capacity greater than 1500 cc and a flat tax of Rs 15000 (or maybe Rs 20000, not sure) on cars with engine capacity greater than 2000 cc
radiokidb is offline  
Old 4th February 2011, 14:00   #467
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,705
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Actually there is another tax which is levied on vehicles solely based on engine capacity. There is a flat Rs 10000 levied on all cars with engine capacity greater than 1500 cc and a flat tax of Rs 15000 (or maybe Rs 20000, not sure) on cars with engine capacity greater than 2000 cc
This is news for me. Can someone else confirm too?
ph03n!x is offline  
Old 4th February 2011, 14:57   #468
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default Why not launch SX4 diesel in hatchback version?

If 1.3 has been found adequate enough for SX4, MUL should seriously consider launching the car's international hatchback version whose dimensions exceed the 4 meter limit by just 1.15 cm. Minor redesign of the bumpers should bring it within the magical 4-meter limit, enabling a more competitive price. What say?
directinjection is offline  
Old 4th February 2011, 15:57   #469
BHPian
 
avisidhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 618
Thanked: 456 Times
Default Re: Why not launch SX4 diesel in hatchback version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
If 1.3 has been found adequate enough for SX4, MUL should seriously consider launching the car's international hatchback version whose dimensions exceed the 4 meter limit by just 1.15 cm. Minor redesign of the bumpers should bring it within the magical 4-meter limit, enabling a more competitive price. What say?
With Swift and Ritz already sharing the same engine, which segment would this hatch cater to? All it will end up doing is change the percieved image of SX4 to another hatch with a boot and dent its sales, IMHO.
avisidhu is online now  
Old 4th February 2011, 17:43   #470
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default Re: Why not launch SX4 diesel in hatchback version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
With Swift and Ritz already sharing the same engine, which segment would this hatch cater to? All it will end up doing is change the percieved image of SX4 to another hatch with a boot and dent its sales, IMHO.
SX4 hatch is a crossover/mini SUV, not a hatchback in the Swift/Ritz mould. If you take a look at MUL's SUV lineup, you'll notice there's a huge gap between the 5-lac rupee Gypsy and 18-lac rupee Grand Vitara. An 8-10 lac rupee SX4 would slot neatly between the two. Mahindra is already working on a new sub-4 meter mini-SUV (not the Xylo chop-job but a brand new vehicle). There's huge latent demand for mini-SUVs in this country due to their affordability, economy and the condition of our roads.

Last edited by directinjection : 4th February 2011 at 17:45.
directinjection is offline  
Old 4th February 2011, 18:19   #471
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,696
Thanked: 2,111 Times
Default Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards ?

This crossover section of the market is largely untapped. The only vehicles that can be considered here could be either the Jazz (we know how that story has gone, though it is a wonderful car) or the Scorpio (a bit too loaded to be considered in this section; it is technically more a full fledged SUV).
IMHO a SX4 hatchback would be a unique product as most other manufacturers only offer hatchbacks, sedans or SUVs. If such a crossover is available I would definitely go for it. With the sedan I am suddenly not so sure, though I initially was keen on it.
selfdrive is online now  
Old 4th February 2011, 18:42   #472
BHPian
 
Surviving Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: India
Posts: 87
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Why not launch SX4 diesel in hatchback version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
If 1.3 has been found adequate enough for SX4, MUL should seriously consider launching the car's international hatchback version whose dimensions exceed the 4 meter limit by just 1.15 cm. Minor redesign of the bumpers should bring it within the magical 4-meter limit, enabling a more competitive price. What say?
The car that you're talking about is nothing but the car which was co-developed by Fiat & Suzuki for the European market, popularly known as Fiat Sedici or Suzuki SX4!!

Thus, I tend to feel that Maruti Suzuki might not be able to launch this car in India.
Surviving Brain is offline  
Old 4th February 2011, 19:29   #473
BHPian
 
nurni76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gurgaon/BLR
Posts: 881
Thanked: 328 Times
Default Re: Why not launch SX4 diesel in hatchback version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Brain View Post
The car that you're talking about is nothing but the car which was co-developed by Fiat & Suzuki for the European market, popularly known as Fiat Sedici or Suzuki SX4!!

Thus, I tend to feel that Maruti Suzuki might not be able to launch this car in India.
Why not? The hatch and Sedan coexist in several markets like US and China. So I guess MSIL can launch it if they so desire. Also if it is launched with the 1.3L VGT 90hp engine, it will be a good powerful hatch.
nurni76 is offline  
Old 4th February 2011, 19:31   #474
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 113
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
This crossover section of the market is largely untapped. The only vehicles that can be considered here could be either the Jazz (we know how that story has gone, though it is a wonderful car) or the Scorpio (a bit too loaded to be considered in this section; it is technically more a full fledged SUV).
IMHO a SX4 hatchback would be a unique product as most other manufacturers only offer hatchbacks, sedans or SUVs. If such a crossover is available I would definitely go for it. With the sedan I am suddenly not so sure, though I initially was keen on it.
Crossover is definately a segment which is untapped in Indian market. We do have Aria and X1 claiming to be crossover but both of them are targetted for premium buyers. This segment is bound to get popular in India primarily due to
  • Better interior space than hatchbacks and sedans.
  • They are not very BIG like SUVs.
  • Its a mix of hatchback + mini SUV. We all Indians love SUV and offroading concept
  • Crossover are getting popular in Europe & UK. Hence more manufacturer want to build them in India and export to these markets (like i20, A-star)
  • They can get exercise benefit of < 4 meters.
  • 4WD
Mahindra is working on something similar with compact xylo and I think it will be a big hit. SX4 hatchback is difficult in Indian market as it might kill SX4 sedan image. But I would love to see these crossovers in Indian roads with price from Rs 5.5 L - 8L.



Image source :suzukiautoworld
erohit is offline  
Old 4th February 2011, 19:38   #475
BHPian
 
nurni76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gurgaon/BLR
Posts: 881
Thanked: 328 Times
Default Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erohit View Post
SX4 hatchback is difficult in Indian market as it might kill SX4 sedan image.
But why? If Dzire and Swift can coexist, I guess there is space for SX4 sedan and hatchback as well. Introduction of a hatch back need not reduce the sedan image if priced smartly
nurni76 is offline  
Old 4th February 2011, 19:54   #476
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,696
Thanked: 2,111 Times
Default Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards ?

@erohit, what a vehicle! Another USP would be the better GC than sedans/ hatchbacks and better leg/ headroom due to teh comparatively taller stance
selfdrive is online now  
Old 4th February 2011, 20:44   #477
BHPian
 
powertrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 572
Thanked: 374 Times
Cool Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards ?

With all due respect to everybody's opnion, are'nt we going .This discussion is about the launch of SX4 diesel & not about how good ,bad or the relevence of the Sx4 hatch !!!!!!!!
powertrain is offline  
Old 4th February 2011, 20:55   #478
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,696
Thanked: 2,111 Times
Default Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards ?

I agree, but in the absence of any further concrete information, we are amusing ourselves with thinking of what ifs!!
There should be more useful updates in the next fortnight once the demo cars arrive

Last edited by selfdrive : 4th February 2011 at 20:58. Reason: emoticon typo correction
selfdrive is online now  
Old 5th February 2011, 10:25   #479
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
This is news for me. Can someone else confirm too?
Yes. Such a tax was introduced around 2-2.5 years ago to discourage cars with big engines. Initially the tax was Rs 10,000 for vehicles with engine capacity between 1500 cc to 1999 cc and Rs 20,000 on vehicles with engine capacity higher than 2000 cc. The tax rate for engine capacity over 2000 cc was later reduced to Rs 15,000.
rajneeesh is offline  
Old 5th February 2011, 10:54   #480
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 448
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards ?

Dealers in Mumbai/Pune have confirmed that cars have been despatched ZDI & VDI to them and they are expected at their warehouses in next few days.
kiren is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD! Jaggu Long-Term Ownership Reviews 2988 21st September 2017 11:10
Yuppie! New Karizma on cards!!! EDIT- Now Launched !! ravi@64bhp Motorbikes 130 1st December 2012 12:31
Diesel Toyota Altis confirmed! ARAI FE of 21.43 kpl. Update: Now Launched! PCS The Indian Car Scene 453 2nd August 2010 11:19
SX4 Petrol / SX4 Diesel (To be launched) / NHC VTEC+ / NNHC (To be launched) ? autoenthusiast Sedans 24 19th June 2008 18:24
Suzuki SX4 or NHC type 1 second hand EDIT: SX4 now booked - EDIT 1 -Swift VDi booked GeekSrik Hatchbacks 126 24th June 2007 12:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks