Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th May 2009, 05:05   #151
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, so I missed an interesting thread, nothing to be surprised about as I joined as late as Jan of this year,anyways coming to the topic.

SX4 (and slight reference/comparisons with Baleno & accent) -

1) Maruti had burnt its fingers with the baleno (whatever may be the reasons, price,looks,etc), and relatively speaking it has done much better this time.

2)SX4 is not a sedan, hence the confusion and mixed response about the looks. Considering both the SX4 and Dezire are 'derived' sedans, they are almost sure to look atleast 'unconventional' if not ugly. Yes, even the baleno was a hatch but when designed it was bound to carry the sedan/station wagon looks as well, hence even if baleno sedan has a bland rear, it looks 'conventional'. Oh, but the SX4 is more practical, my heart bleeds everytime I scrap the underbelly of the Baleno.

3)Fuel Economy- Baleno has an upper hand. I have been driving the baleno ever since Dad has a SX4 (chosen only because we have troublefree experience with all the 4 Marutis we had bought before the SX4), considering the fact that I really push the car sometimes I have been getting anywhere between 13-14+ kmpl (with AC) while dad gets 12-13kmpl (with AC) from the SX4, and yes Dad hardly does rip the car. Usually shifts into overdrive anywhere around 50kmph.

All this at Chandigarh which has excellent roads and sparse traffic, even the highways/expressways to nearby cities are good, hence a slightly better mileage as compared to the Metros.

4)Speaking of the Hyundais, we had an Accent CRDi with us for 6 months, belonged to a relative who had to go abroad, with around 80k on the clock, the rattling and stuff was way more than our esteem (95k+ kms.). Although, the esteem has been very well maintained and I will give the accent in question some benefit of doubt regarding the maintenance.
As for A.S.S., Maruti is way better than Hyundai atleast here. Not a doubt here. Period.

Oh, and as for the accent 1.6, speaking about performance,
an accent 1.6 driven by a good driver may match an sx4 driven by a below average driver (one who knows zilch about shift points) in a drag.
In hands of a good driver, sx4 may very well have a slight advantage.
As for baleno/OHC-vtec/Fiesta 1.6, it will smoke the accent 1.6 like anything. Don't believe? Go figure yourself before replying to my post.

5) As for SX4 diesel, lets see if it comes anytime soon. Considering the response towards Dzire and Swift diesels, hopes are quite high.

6) As for the low sales of SX4:

a) We have few performance seekers in India, hence people tend to buy cars with better FE over a car with better Performance. (Eg.NHC).

b)Likes of Vernas and Fiestas, which have diesel motors as option, SX4 does not.

For a real comparo, it will be interesting to compare sales of SX4 with Verna/linea/fiesta petrol. As the latter options usually have good sales due to diesel mill and petrol version hardly account for anything.

PS- No offence to owners/lovers/fanboys of any of the above mentioned cars/maufacturers, just my 50 paise, members have all the reasons to believe otherwise with/without any actual proofs.

Thanks for bearing with me and my lengthy post.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 7th May 2009 at 05:07.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 09:59   #152
BHPian

SX4 with Diesel Engine should help the company to achieve figures. I was impressed by its performance (I missed this car by few months).
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 10:07   #153
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

The SX4 never did very well, at least in Goa. Few people bought it when it was just launched. These days I don't think they get many inquiries too. The dealers prefer to concentrate on the better selling models rather than waste time on slow movers.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 11:41   #154
BHPian

All thats required of Maruti to make SX4 more popular is to bring the hatchback version too into the Indian market. The advantages hatchback version would enjoy are it would look more cohesive in terms of design, dynamics would improve 2 folds because it was initially meant to be built such (difference in dynamics like Swift and Dezire), as well as reduce manufacturing costs to a certain extent. I do feel SX4 hatch would be a good competitor to upcoming cars like Jazz, Punto, Polo etc.
grvanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 12:36   #155
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grvanand View Post
All thats required of Maruti to make SX4 more popular is to bring the hatchback version too into the Indian market. The advantages hatchback version would enjoy are it would look more cohesive in terms of design, dynamics would improve 2 folds because it was initially meant to be built such (difference in dynamics like Swift and Dezire), as well as reduce manufacturing costs to a certain extent. I do feel SX4 hatch would be a good competitor to upcoming cars like Jazz, Punto, Polo etc.
Not a good idea for India. See what happened to the Chevy SRV even after all the hype.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 16:53   #156
Senior - BHPian

The news down south is that SX4 is doing well in the north.The sales in kerela atleast for the past 3 months was very good and hardly any dealer has any ageing stock of SX4.this car deserves more sales considering the VFM.Remember it was the VFM car of the year at team BHP.No confirmed news on the diesel launch but it would happen some time this year.Hatch of SX4 has got very nice looks but one more hatch after the Ritz would be very tough to place regarding the price.
cheers

ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 17:11   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Hatch of SX4 has got very nice looks but one more hatch after the Ritz would be very tough to place regarding the price.
cheers ram
With SX4 hatch, Maruti has a lot of options available:

They can place the petrol SX4 hatch above Swift, price it in the 5.5 - 6.5 L range, and can give the soon-to-be launched GP and Jazz some competition.

Or they can put a diesel engine and make it a super diesel-hatch, and give competition to the soon-to-be launched i20 diesel.

Another option - put two side facing seats at the back (it has 4100mm length) and make it 7-seater, and try with a diesel engine - it can be a competition to the Innova - Scorpio - Xylo models.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 7th May 2009 at 17:16.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 22:22   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
With SX4 hatch, Maruti has a lot of options available:

They can place the petrol SX4 hatch above Swift, price it in the 5.5 - 6.5 L range, and can give the soon-to-be launched GP and Jazz some competition.

Or they can put a diesel engine and make it a super diesel-hatch, and give competition to the soon-to-be launched i20 diesel.

Another option - put two side facing seats at the back (it has 4100mm length) and make it 7-seater, and try with a diesel engine - it can be a competition to the Innova - Scorpio - Xylo models.
Then what will they do with the ritz,6.5 l for the SX4 hatch means were will the SX4 Vxi sedan go?It is easier said than done.A better option would have been hold the Ritz at bay and come in SX4 hatch.Then critics would come out saying -Oh they had a hatch converted to seda (dzire),now they have converted a sedan to hatch.
I personally feel that SX4 hatch would have been a better choice for introducing in india than Ritz,but maruti has done well to keep the premium SX4 customers untouched and stay at bay while Ritz take on the i20,
cheers

ram
Old 8th May 2009, 00:18   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then what will they do with the ritz,6.5 l for the SX4 hatch means were will the SX4 Vxi sedan go?It is easier said than done.A better option would have been hold the Ritz at bay and come in SX4 hatch.Then critics would come out saying -Oh they had a hatch converted to seda (dzire),now they have converted a sedan to hatch.
I personally feel that SX4 hatch would have been a better choice for introducing in india than Ritz,but maruti has done well to keep the premium SX4 customers untouched and stay at bay while Ritz take on the i20,
cheers

ram
Couldnt resist posting, I just dont understand the logic comparing SX4 hatch with Ritz. Its like comparing SRV with i10? They are both in different segements, engine range and price... Rest my case.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 10:46   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

While product positioning is for MSIL to figure out, I think the SX4 hatch would be a nice car to have over here - love the looks of that car.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 12:01   #161
Senior - BHPian

Hey supreme,even i like the looks,and the only similarity between ritz and SX4 hatch would be the price for that matter nothing else.Lets hope we get this beauty soon.And looking at the similar products in this line Non has set the sales charts on fire inspite of being good products ,so maybe the MSIL people are waiting fingures crossed .

ram
Old 8th May 2009, 12:07   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
cheers ram
By 5.5 - 6.5L for SX4 hatch, I mean the top-end ZXi model will have the 6.5L price tag. Currently, SX4 sedan's VXi model is priced around 6.5L, and ZXi is around 7.3L. A price difference of 80K for hatch and sedan is justifiable.

BTW, as Aseem told, Ritz is in a completely different league, and the pricing will be in the range of 4 - 5.5L if we go by TBHPians' assumptions. So, enough space is here for SX4 hatch.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 8th May 2009 at 12:15.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 12:22   #163
Senior - BHPian

Hey i feel we are roamming arround a bit.Why dont we stick to the topic.Any figures of SX4 sale for the last month.In kerela it was pretty good for that matter.Consistent sale for the last 2 months,But this month a shortage of SX4 is seen at MSIL.This may effect the figures slightly but still bookings are good.

ram
Old 8th May 2009, 13:29   #164
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

The SX4 outsells both Verna and Fiesta ( petrol variants) . It sold close 14000 units last year which is pretty good. Only the City outsells it in its segment. These nyumbers will go up substantially if and when the diesel is launched.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 14:41   #165
Senior - BHPian

Now thats figures.After the new city was launched the sales of city is not equal to what it was used to do,maybe the price factor.I dedicate the surge in sales of SX4 in the last few months mainly to this fact.Hope we had an upgrade of SX4 ( cosmetic)as its 2yrs+ since the launch.It could add some more ingrediants to increase the sales figure.

ram