Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th September 2008, 16:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hurricane View Post
The SX4 also made sure Honda even had to hurry its plans to launch a replacement in India for the City.
What makes you say that? Honda always said that the new City would be come in Oct-Nov 2008. Their G3HC launch has never depended on what the competiton is upto. Besides, SX4 never really gave much of a challenge to the NHC in any month. I suggest you go through the sales sheet which is self explanatory.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 18:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

Amit,
The launch date of the 3rg Gen city may not be a affeced by the competition it is facing from SX4, SX4 is indeed pulling a large number of customers away from Honda. The NHC continues to outsell the SX4 due to the brand equity of the Honda Marque. Moreover the NHC is the bread and butter product for Honda Siel and gets a lot more attention from the company. The launch of the SX4 compelled Honda Siel to make chanes like offereing Airbags in the Vtec Plus, alloy wheels in the GXI etc along with the recent option to upgrade wheels at a cost of Rs 10000 .

MSIL sells more cars in a month than Honda Siel does in a year. However, a person is more comfortable spending Rs 7.5 lacs on a Honda than on a Maruti.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 18:37   #48
BHPian

While I agree that the NHC was the clear winner in the sales department, Honda had to give discounts and offer their 10th anniv edition in order to keep up with the competition. This itself tells a lot about the SX4. Bear in mind, the SX4 was a petrol only competition whereas the Verna and Fiesta has the diesel variants. Now lets see what the ANHC has in store.

No matter what you say, SX4 was the first to offer the safety features and Climate control as standard in its variants. Do you think Honda would have provided VTEC+ if SX4 was not launched.

The VXi was a terrible let down as compared to the Exi variant that the City sells.
Having said that, calling SX4 as a flop and calling it as less popular than Baleno are jokes. We have to remember that this is a market where beige interiors and avg kya hai are vital that one's life.
balaji_n29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 19:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji_n29 View Post
While I agree that the NHC was the clear winner in the sales department, Honda had to give discounts and offer their 10th anniv edition in order to keep up with the competition. This itself tells a lot about the SX4. Bear in mind, the SX4 was a petrol only competition whereas the Verna and Fiesta has the diesel variants. Now lets see what the ANHC has in store.

No matter what you say, SX4 was the first to offer the safety features and Climate control as standard in its variants. Do you think Honda would have provided VTEC+ if SX4 was not launched.
While we could partially agree that SX4 triggered Honda to provide a VTEC+ model, we shouldn't forget that VTEC+ was priced significantly higher than the competition and still there were takers. I personally know at least 2 of my colleagues who chose VTEC+ over the SX4 w/ relatively(!) rich feature set and priced much much lesser.

So, it only appears that Honda provided the VTEC+ to fetch those customers who had all the right/wrong reasons to choose the City but would have gone to the competition only for lack of ABS and Air Bags.

BTW, I don't think Honda offered discounts (discounting negligible offers) on City until the past recent weeks - mostly to clear their existing stock to make way for ANHC.

Also, didn't Fiesta and Verna offer security features even before SX4? I could be wrong though.

Last edited by pmbabu : 20th September 2008 at 19:55.
pmbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 21:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The launch of the SX4 compelled Honda Siel to make chanes like offereing Airbags in the Vtec Plus, alloy wheels in the GXI etc along with the recent option to upgrade wheels at a cost of Rs 10000 .
Quote:
Do you think Honda would have provided VTEC+ if SX4 was not launched.
Seems like you guys didn't realise what my point was.

There is no denying that Honda probably launched the VTEC+ with ABS, Airbags, leather etc because of the SX4. There is no arguing against that.

I was responding to the comment by my fellow member that Honda had to hurry with the launch of the G3HC due to the SX4. Quoting from that comment:

Quote:
The SX4 also made sure Honda even had to hurry its plans to launch a replacement in India for the City.
Old 21st September 2008, 00:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

The SX4 is a competent car for the money. If one wants a performance car, buy one or modify one. Don't expect a mini-SUV turned family sedan by Suzuki to drive like a sports car or have exceptional build quality like some other well known manufacturers.One gets a lot of car for the money with the SX4. What is the point of this thread?. I fail to 'get it'. It's like "the stock market went down by 500 points today. the stock market is dead". And, then the stock market rises 700 points the next day. This thread reminds me of the Indian media's attitude towards the Indian economy.

Last edited by nickatnite : 21st September 2008 at 00:10.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 01:43   #52
BHPian

As far as SX4 is concerned pulling it from 100 kmph to 160 kmph, i really felt nothing great or quick in it. Its normal.

When i had been to DD Motors just for the sake of test ride of dzire, the maruti guys told me that Dzire has the security features and performance that of an Executive Class (He never knew i own Elantra too). lol I asked him what are the perforamance and security features are you talking about? He told me abs + bla bla bla and torque bla bla bla. I said i drove an elantra last night and he said Elantra stands nowhere infront of Dzire in terms of performance because Elantra is been Phased off by hyundai, so its a totally flop car and Elantra stands Nowhere infront of Dzire no matter if its a Premium segment. haha Don't trust me? visit DD Motors, New Delhi and u will come to know the fact.
That's how they sells their cars? Making Hypes about ground clearance, abs etc and making stupid ads truck scared of SX4. bla bla.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 01:54   #53
BHPian

Yes that ad is insane, plus what are they trying to do, promote road rage by describing the car as a weapon or something. As if we didn't already have enough of it. Maruti will loose even more customers looking at that ad. I wonder what will happen to this country of beige interiors, steel wheels and mileage kya hai public.
abhi1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 09:17   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
Yes that ad is insane, plus what are they trying to do, promote road rage by describing the car as a weapon or something. As if we didn't already have enough of it. Maruti will loose even more customers looking at that ad. I wonder what will happen to this country of beige interiors, steel wheels and mileage kya hai public.
Haha i thought the ads proves that its tougher than the truck. But yes you are right about the weapon or something like that.

I don't think they will loose customers just because of this ad because after ads sales is expected to go up everytime. No matter if its a shah rukh khan for his engine calculation.

Infact Hyundai i10's ad was too wrong provoking street racing when he tried to race with a bike on street roads. Janta got crazy after i10 after its launch.

Ford Fiesta, when that guy was doing stunts of burning match sticks. It really shooted up the sales of fiesta as the ads was too furious explaining the car is fast and furious and gave it a Sporty image.

Now for Kappa i10, ad says Power is been increased without compromising the mileage, but as per threads in the forum, mileage is a bit less in it than the current i10 1.1L. and now people are after Kappa i10.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 10:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Don't expect a mini-SUV turned family sedan by Suzuki to drive like a sports car or have exceptional build quality like some other well known manufacturers.
I agree with the sports car part but why can't it have exceptional build quality like it's competition? I don't get that. Why should Suzuki be exempted from having good build quality?

Ok, we can't expect the SX4 to have build quality like other cars in it's segment but why can't it have better or at least on par quality like cars cheaper then it?

Quote:
brother this is India, where Janta's first ques will be "Mileage Kitna hai (how much is the mileage)"
I agree with that. Last week, I parked my SX4 outside a Navi Mumbai mall and just as I got down an Alto owner called me and asked me if the SX4 was mine. His next question was "How much is the mileage?". I said, "12kmpl. Highway driving." His reponse: Shaking his head, "Thats no good."

That was it. Maruti lost a customer. Just like that. Did he, even for a second, think that maybe I get 12kmpl because I drive like a maniac and that he could do better then 12?

On second thoughts, maybe he drives like a maniac and must have thought that if this guy gets 12, I wouldn't get more then 9!

Last edited by amit : 21st September 2008 at 10:33.
Old 21st September 2008, 12:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

Amit, The Alto owner probably will contiunue to drive an Alto or some such vehicle. The Sx 4 weighs twice as much as an Alto and is more than two ties the power.

The sales of the SX4 may actually go up if the 3rd gen City is priced significantly higher and the current generation City is discontinued.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 21:17   #57
BHPian

Well the New Honda was supposed to come out only early 2009 not october 2008 ... this is the information passed on from my friend who work for Honda Siel Ltd. Even the introduction of the face lift for the current Honda City was so as the counter the drop in sales which Honda had due to the success of the SX4. yes the sales figures show that Honda City sales is more than SX4. But Amit you have take into consideration that SX4 had a massive waiting period as against the Off the shelf Honda City. I currently work for Honda in Uk and have more inside report on the launch dates and marketing activities which Honda has taken for the City in india as we do get reports within the company board .

Here no one is arguing the fact that Honda City and the Suzuki SX4 are great cars. I am just trying to tell you that the SX4 has made Honda make changes to it marketing Plans regarding the City which included launching the NHC before the launch dates and having a facelift to counter sales drop.

The city used to sell at around 4000 units a month, but after the launch of the SX4 the sales have dropped to the range of 2500-3000 units. Had the SX4 been of the shelf , the difference in sales numbers between the SX4 and the City would have been even lesser.
The Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:32   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Why are we arguing about this? pulsar778 has posted model and city wise sales of all cars. From his excel sheet, SX4 sales from Jan to Aug are 2932, 1953, 1877, 1541, 1912, 1681, 1048 and 2292 units. As expected, NHC is routing SX4 month after month by a HUGE margin. SX4 sales are quite volatile but the car seems to be holding onto an average of about 1700-2000 units/month. Not bad, I say.
I think the figure of 2292 is not for August. It is the south total from Jan-Jul in his sheet. He doesn't have figures for August yet. While in general the SX4 sales have dipped over the past one year (from 4000 levels), You can note a clear downward trend in SX4 sales over the past 4 months.

Here are the Total Maruti Mid size totals and their breakups:
May: Maruti Mid size Total - 5940(DZire - 4028, SX4 - 1912)
June: Maruti Total - 5805(Dzire - 4124, SX4 - 1681)
July: Maruti total - 5997(Dzire - 4949, SX4 - 1048)
Aug : Maruti Total - 5427. This data is from Vasudeva's sheet. While we don't have a break up of this yet, it is safe to assume that SX4 couldn't have been more than July sales.

Three clear trends are discernible, if you see the sheets:
a) SX4 sales are showing a clear downward trend over the past one year, dropping from 4000 levels to 1000+
b) Even, during the downturn over the past 4 months, Maruti has shown consistent sales of 5500 to 6000 in the midsize. This could have possibly been more if they could produce more DZires.
c) DZire is eating into SX4 sales. I am basing this on 2 parameters:
  • As Dzire sales have gone up, SX4 sales have gone down proportionately, with overall Maruti mid-size sales nos the same.
  • There hasn't been a drastic increase in Fiesta,verna or Honda City ie SX4 hasn't lost out to competition, as such.
sridharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 22:40   #59
BHPian

I feel the SX4 is multi utility product. A hell lot of things rolled into one - to keep the Indian mindset happy which is expecting more than just VFM.
SX4 is like a buffet lunch, 50 types of food and you can taste everything though not every item in the buffet may be world class. There are so many features in the SX4 but not every thing is world class.

BTW is MUL contemplating a face lifted SX4 in 2009? Any news? Will this help drive sales apart from playing the deisel card?
p'arth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 11:13   #60
BHPian

Default world class

yes,by no means the SX4 is a WORLD-CLASS product.now whatever that means; but makes one believe that INDIA is far behiend the WORLD in quality parameters,it seems! BTW dose world mean AMERICA,and the other western europian countries and the oil rich GULF?probablly for whole lot of us!what a shame..
but one wishes,only if we had:
1)world class roads to run our whehicles
2)world class traffic controlling systems
3)world class road-transport back up systemes like accident helps etc.
4)world class quality control over the kind of fuel we get other automobile related accessories
5)world class common sense that is required while driving, like the on road manneres
and list can go on.....one can add to the list if wishes.
so, to have a world class product let us first be world class citizens and then crib about it!
samrat25 is offline   Reply With Quote