Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th November 2008, 15:06   #61
BHPian

I dont think that Maruti Suzuki SX4 can go down with falling sales. It was one of the best sedan in the Indian car market and will also grow with leaps and bounds.
nanopano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 16:55   #62
BHPian

With the introduction of New City and other competitors trying to add more spice, SX4 needs something extra to withstand the heat which is already prevalent. But really never felt that it ever hit the stone except the pricing and the VFM.
metropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 17:44   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
With the introduction of New City and other competitors trying to add more spice, SX4 needs something extra to withstand the heat which is already prevalent. But really never felt that it ever hit the stone except the pricing and the VFM.

Well actually i expected SX4 to do better since City ZX was giving way to New City. I dont understand why is that most people think that SX4 diesel only can make dent in sales of City and others. Common Maruti has to make some changes like better rear bench, better interiors and then they can easily sell more for its petrol. I still think its a brilliant VFM . With the New City being more expensive than City ZX its the best time for Maruti to upgrade the SX4 and convert it into more sales.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 18:50   #64
BHPian

SX4 sales were actually affected by swift dezire then the city,maruti has no plans to change it atleast for now.
team suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 19:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by team suzuki View Post
SX4 sales were actually affected by swift dezire then the city,maruti has no plans to change it atleast for now.
Dzire did make some dent in the sales, but when SX4 was launched it was selling quite well. Then City ZX again took back the lost ground. I think Maruti will bring the facelift SX4 next year. If they can atleast improve on rear bench and better interiors im sure it can sell better than what it is today.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 20:46   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Dzire did make some dent in the sales, but when SX4 was launched it was selling quite well. Then City ZX again took back the lost ground. I think Maruti will bring the facelift SX4 next year. If they can atleast improve on rear bench and better interiors im sure it can sell better than what it is today.
More than that, what it needs is a diesel powerplant. That will do wonders to the SX4 in the Indian market.

The reason why I feel so?

1. SX4 while selling well initially, did not quiet have the snob value that the City enjoyed.
2. The DZire, while not really the best looker (subject to individual tastes, I agree) is now selling like hotcakes, restricted only by the supply
3. With the general perception that Honda City gives a better mileage, it is easier to beat that with the Diesels since Honda does not have any plan to launch a diesel car anytime soon, specifically in the Sub-12L territory.

That's why I (we) feel the diesel engine could give the much awaited push to SX4 sales, like what it did to the Swift (though the petrol version was selling decently even before that).

Last edited by quicksilver : 27th November 2008 at 20:51.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 23:41   #67
BHPian

Yes, with a diesel powerplant other car manufacturers will be having a tough time to bring in a car as VFM as this one. Only if they price it right.

Dzire is not a VFM sedan, so i think maurti should really go ahead and install the diesel powerplant and offer the SX4 which is a very good car for indian conditions at a reasonable price
backrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 11:46   #68
BHPian

They have to get the diesel out maybe with the same engine as the dzire plus the VGT ie 90 bhp 1.3. If not the Linea that would be launched next month will make a further dent in the SX4 numbers.
ranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 17:09   #69
BHPian

When Maruti discontinued the Baleno, they said they are exiting the segment and concentrate on smaller cars as there is where the market was. Few years later they realized it was a mistake and came up with SX4 redefining the market with features so far not heard of in its segment. Now it is more than a year Time for a facelift to the SX4, else they will not be able to hold on the onslaught of Honda and Fiat.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 17:19   #70
Senior - BHPian

Its not just about the price or the features, in this price range, brand value matters a lot. And like it or not, honda commands way more respect than maruti in this segment. If lada launches a car that is as good as a merc, with more features, but priced a lil less, will it succeed? No! Its the same situation here.(though the brands are not so far apart.) If they want to sell more, they should look at a different segment, ie diesel. With the current engine, it comes as no surprise that it bombed!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 17:39   #71
BHPian

I dunno about the other places,but here in Indore SX4 sales have plummeted 'coz it's being used as a taxi here Rs.10/km. And contrary to expectations they're doing well. Better to seat 4 in airconditioned comfort with precise billing rather than stuffing yourself into kerosene fuelled rickshaw's with meters that run faster than Michael Johnson !
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 17:44   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I dunno about the other places,but here in Indore SX4 sales have plummeted 'coz it's being used as a taxi here Rs.10/km. And contrary to expectations they're doing well. Better to seat 4 in airconditioned comfort with precise billing rather than stuffing yourself into kerosene fuelled rickshaw's with meters that run faster than Michael Johnson !
Yes, same thing in pune infact luxury hotels,car rentals like globalcarconcepts are using sx4
team suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 17:49   #73
BHPian

The only problem for SX4 was its poor FE,people expect maruti engines to provide the max FE in that segment.Its not because of poor interiors or build quality its only FE.IF people wanted Beige interiors and a Honda badge on their hoods then how could a grumpy looking diesel Hyundai which doesnt even have basic features ,has one of the poor interior designs, which costs 9 lakh sell respectively and another is a Ford which has a history of bad A.S.S huge service costs having a feeble but highly FE motor along with cramped gloomy interiors whose base model Exi just comes with a power steering and power windows is more expensive than the Zxi model of SX4 sell in respectable numbers.

If it was only brand value along with other things and not just FE then why doesnt the Aveo sell??Why does the Dzire sell even if it looks odd and is pretty expensive for the Diesel motor IMHO??

If anyone out here could put the figures out for the sales of the Fiesta 1.6petrol motor not the 1.4,the pretty good VFM Verna petrol.the Dzire petrol then that would be a pretty good peice of info rather than speaking what just comes to ones mind.

MODS- Oflate this thread is turning into a Maruti basher thread.
D.V.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 14:35   #74
BHPian

i agree D V R . it's like expecting sachin tendulkar to score a century each time he goes on to bat!
samrat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 14:25   #75
Senior - BHPian

Well, SX4 is fairly fuel efficient. My ZXi has been consistenltly giving over 13 KPl in city conditions after the 5000 km IInd servce. It has now crossed 7200 km and 2200 km is a good enough distance to calculae fuel efficiency.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote