Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2008, 00:02   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 500 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Snob value does matter in C segment. Thats probably one reason that ppl choose to flock the City over other cars due to Honda badge. It might not be a reason for you, but its a reason that potentially many buyers in this segment consider. To take that out of account would to be in Denial. I am not stating its good or bad, but its definitely a factor. Thats why ppl can pay more for a car like Fabia just caz it gives them the snob value, other wise the engine in Fabia is nothing to right home about...
Cool down buds.. no point driving down the point in great length to put down some car lovers as yourself... if you want to talk about snob value, talks about cars that deserve that tag - merc, beemer, lexus etc.. not some cheap japs tin box!



Quote:
I am glad you get an FE of 12 in City with 100% AC. Most independant magazines and many ppl in the forums DONT! Please do not ignore what others have to say. You can scroll through this thread itself to find SX4 owners stating they get an FE of 10.
well, I get around same figure 12-13 kmpl, no matter how hard i push the car as roads are fantastics in NCR... but equivalently even Fiesta 1.6 gives an equivalent average.. no big deal! Come to think of it, if the so call magazine journos are to be believed, ANHC gives a pity 10 kmpl! Your swift (non vdi) wouldn't even touch that margin

Quote:
Well its my set of facts based on independant journals and neutral SX4 owners vis a vis yours which I take with a pinch of salt as they are coming from someone trying to justify his purchase. I will just leave it at that.
Good boy! Sometime, its better to keep mum at murky topics. would save a lot of unnecessary pain to fingers . Btw, I would take car reviews from all journalists including independent ones with a pinch of salt as they are coming from someone with only one purpose - to fool you, me and others .


Quote:
Who is this "WE" by the way that you are talking about??? Do you represent a CLAN of SX4 owners that I dont know about

Dude I have no intentions to buy a SX4. I have driven the car quite extensively and for me it doesnt fit the bill.
comeon, tone it down... you are being so kiddish and bit harsh to other fellow bhpians...


Quote:
Its my opinion no doubt, but its not far from how the market feels about this car. This is reflected in the poor sales of this car off late. Loads of features but nothing else to right home about. I have no further arguments becaz quite obviously its falling on deaf ears.
so, you want us (especially the owners) to admit, the car is a dud. Hilarious, man.. can't believe such viewpoint is coming from a senior bhpian... do one thing SIR, take a BREAK and dont buy an SX4!

@aseem, BTW, I had been too busy these days to spen time in team-bhp, but for some minutes I was here sometime ago, your comments were very interesting (so much that somehow, it tempted me to put some friendly reply inspite of being too busy), not because they have any points (believe me, it's too immature viewpoint!), but because it is coming from a member that's been assoicated with team-bhp for long, enough to give a senior tag.

Last edited by iTNerd : 7th December 2008 at 00:11.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 00:22   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post



well, I get around same figure 12-13 kmpl, no matter how hard i push the car as roads are fantastics in NCR... but equivalently even Fiesta 1.6 gives an equivalent average.. no big deal! Come to think of it, if the so call magazine journos are to be believed, ANHC gives a pity 10 kmpl! Your swift (non vdi) wouldn't even touch that margin


Good boy! Sometime, its better to keep mum at murky topics. would save a lot of unnecessary pain to fingers .

@aseem, BTW, I had been too busy these days to spen time in team-bhp, but for some minutes I was here sometime ago, your comments were very interesting (so much that somehow, it tempted me to put some friendly reply inspite of being too busy), not because they have any points (believe me, it's too immature viewpoint!), but because it is coming from a member that's been assoicated with team-bhp for long, enough to give a senior tag.
Kiddo, first of all I am glad my posts have brought you out of your hibernation to post in this forum. Secondaly I dont want to hurt your delicate feelings as you own an SX4. But this is not a forum on Orkut of SX4 lovers, this is Team BHP and here we discuss all the pros and cons of a car. Please dont chastise someone who doesnt agree with your views or is not madly in love with your car.

Last edited by aseem : 7th December 2008 at 00:29.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 00:28   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 500 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Who are you calling a boy kiddo .
a guy that drives a swift that rattles to the core.. so much, only some great ICE-ing could fix the problem - by increasing music volume to the highest tick..Enjoy!
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 10:03   #94
BHPian
 
d_himan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 728
Thanked: 591 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post

1) It doesnt command snob value... its considered a poor mans big car (no offense meant)
Aseem, have a different POV on this - I think the car has substantial road presence - the 'Honda' snob value, if at all, might be minimal.

Quote:

2) FE of around 10 kmpl in City with AC
Well, the FE my uncle's SX4 ZXi gave around 9 kmpl in Chennai city driving. However, my dad's Ikon 1.6 gives me 8/9, and the Fiesta/Aveo Petrol aren't substantially better either. Don't think its a huge issue, but yes, maybe sales did get affected due to word-of-mouth.

Quote:

3) Below par finishing
Come on, doesn't rattle like my Swift Vxi does! But yes, maybe the Swift parts sharing has a bit to do with this perception. Definitely liveable interiors.

Quote:
4) Not fun to drive. Which is really sad, ppl are willing to forgo the FE only if they are getting something in return, but a car with mediocre FE which is not fun to drive mmmmm leaves ppl high and dry.
Tremendous fun to scrunch over potholed roads, the confidence the SX4 inspires blew my mind off - shows its crossover roots. Combine that the high 'throne like' seating position and its a lot of fun to bully through traffic. You get respect for this car in traffic.

Quote:
5) Motor is noisy at high RPMs
Nice punchy mid range. Yes, beyond 4500 rpm, the engine becomes rough and is not free revving. Not as much fun to rev beyond 4500 like the Fiesta/Swift P, nor does it handle around corners as well. But, how many people drive this way?

Quote:
6) The features that made this car a hit are now available across other models like Fiesta, Aveo, ANHC for that matter even A Star
To me, the SX4 was the pioneer. The ZXi remains fantastically speced. No one still offers stuff like steering mounted audio controls or a rear parking sensor I reckon? The ABS saved my life once on the highway.

Quote:
7) Interior quality vis a vis NHC (not the ANHC)
It felt nice to me though the Honda's interior plastics seemed better.

Quote:
8) Suspension is nothing spcl. The ride can get bumpy at the rear.
The low speed ride may not be the plushest, but is very liveable. A good highway ride too. You can forgive this for the tremendous confidence it gives you over bad roads.

Quote:
9) The car looks horrible from the back, the muffler can be seen hanging in the underbody. Its almost someone put up their shorts to shi...
Agree wholeheartedly. . Even, my wife, who's a bit cut-off on automotive matters, noticed the muffler swinging left and right. Takes away some shine for sure. Owners, please, please put in some rear skirts!

Quote:
If only Maruti brings in a Deisel motor you could see some excitement for this car, else I feel it might go the Baleno way....
[/quote]

Yes, somehow, I feel a torquey diesel would suit the SX4's character more than the petrol unit.
d_himan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 11:09   #95
BHPian
 
mail4loys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 375
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I still do not understand the logic behind Fun-to-drive, other than its not as good as others. Right?
@rkbharat: If you dont understand the logic on Fun-to-drive then how can you say SX4 is fun to drive in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Well, the FE my uncle's SX4 ZXi gave around 9 kmpl in Chennai city driving. However, my dad's Ikon 1.6 gives me 8/9, and the Fiesta/Aveo Petrol aren't substantially better either. Don't think its a huge issue, but yes, maybe sales did get affected due to word-of-mouth.
I too drive in chennai and dont get more than 10Kmpl
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Tremendous fun to scrunch over potholed roads, the confidence the SX4 inspires blew my mind off - shows its crossover roots. Combine that the high 'throne like' seating position and its a lot of fun to bully through traffic. You get respect for this car in traffic.
I agree on taking pothholes more confidently, but the flip side is that you have body shake / swing (sorry i'm not able to put that in word) while going on bad roads slowly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Agree wholeheartedly. . Even, my wife, who's a bit cut-off on automotive matters, noticed the muffler swinging left and right. Takes away some shine for sure. Owners, please, please put in some rear skirts!
I too had notised it !
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 13:33   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Aseem, have a different POV on this - I think the car has substantial road presence - the 'Honda' snob value, if at all, might be minimal.

It definitely has more snob value than Baleno, and comes at par with Fiesta and Verna, but I still feel Honda has more aspirational value associated with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Well, the FE my uncle's SX4 ZXi gave around 9 kmpl in Chennai city driving. However, my dad's Ikon 1.6 gives me 8/9, and the Fiesta/Aveo Petrol aren't substantially better either. Don't think its a huge issue, but yes, maybe sales did get affected due to word-of-mouth.
Ppl expect MUL cars to be fuel efficient, so the dampner might be that this car was at par with most in its segment and below NHC. However this did form a perception in the minds of perspective buyer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Come on, doesn't rattle like my Swift Vxi does! But yes, maybe the Swift parts sharing has a bit to do with this perception. Definitely liveable interiors.
Agreed, build quiality whole heartedly better than Swift. More is expected of the C-Segment though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Tremendous fun to scrunch over potholed roads, the confidence the SX4 inspires blew my mind off - shows its crossover roots. Combine that the high 'throne like' seating position and its a lot of fun to bully through traffic. You get respect for this car in traffic.
Thats the USP of Cross Over character. How does it handles corners? How does it fair against your Ikon 1.6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Nice punchy mid range. Yes, beyond 4500 rpm, the engine becomes rough and is not free revving. Not as much fun to rev beyond 4500 like the Fiesta/Swift P, nor does it handle around corners as well. But, how many people drive this way?
Agreed. Only a few petrol heads many of whome lurk around this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
To me, the SX4 was the pioneer. The ZXi remains fantastically speced. No one still offers stuff like steering mounted audio controls or a rear parking sensor I reckon? The ABS saved my life once on the highway.
It truly was a Pioneer and that led to run of the mill sales for the Zxi version in the begining. I myself used to recommend it as a VFM package to my freinds at some point. However more and more manf offer these features now (thanks to SX4). Fiesta has airbags now, the new ANHC and Linea offer steering mounted audio controls, Linea even has the Blue and Me.

I am not sure if parking sensors are standard in SX4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
It felt nice to me though the Honda's interior plastics seemed better.
Agreed. The quality of plastics used on SX4 leaves a lot to be desired. Spcly if you notice the roof light plastic and door pads. Interiors are definitely contemprary and liveable but quality of materials used could have been better spcly for this segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
The low speed ride may not be the plushest, but is very liveable. A good highway ride too. You can forgive this for the tremendous confidence it gives you over bad roads.
Agreed. But do you find it slightly heavy for its pulling power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Agree wholeheartedly. . Even, my wife, who's a bit cut-off on automotive matters, noticed the muffler swinging left and right. Takes away some shine for sure. Owners, please, please put in some rear skirts!

Yes, somehow, I feel a torquey diesel would suit the SX4's character more than the petrol unit.
Agreed.

Great to see see some maturity and sanity back in this thread. The points I had mentioned were not to chastise SX4, but just observations of why the car had failed to take the C market by storm as many had hoped initially.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 14:22   #97
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
I too drive in chennai and dont get more than 10Kmpl
I get around 11.5-12.5 in chennai in normal traffic.


SX4 boot may be a little odd but we have an advantage of big boot, however Swift back looks like an ugly frog.

I have took corners with SX4 at 120 still I feel confident and cruising in highway is a breeze. It has enough pulling power to cruise, what more you expect.

Owning the car made me prestigious among my friends. So I am happy with what I got.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 14:33   #98
BHPian
 
mail4loys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 375
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I have took corners with SX4 at 120 still I feel confident and cruising in highway is a breeze. It has enough pulling power to cruise, what more you expect.
@gopinathann: I have done 160 in Chennai - Bangalore GQ, but the drive pleasure is something that is missing. There is no deny that SX4 is a good car, but it is not the best in it class.
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 14:50   #99
BHPian
 
sathyaprakash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
@gopinathann: I have done 160 in Chennai - Bangalore GQ, but the drive pleasure is something that is missing. There is no deny that SX4 is a good car, but it is not the best in it class.

What do u mean by drive pleasure, can u be brief it also as of now in petrol which car u consider the best in its class?
sathyaprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 15:07   #100
BHPian
 
sudheeshnairs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Trivandrum/Bangalore
Posts: 146
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Hmm, I feel the reverse, infact I like the heavy muscled look of SX4. The road presence is much.

I would have loved to buy SX4, if it had a brilliant diesel engine like that of Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
The rear of SX4 is really bad imo, and many in the forum agree and have voted SX4 as one of the cars with an ugliest butt.
sudheeshnairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 15:34   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I get around 11.5-12.5 in chennai in normal traffic.


SX4 boot may be a little odd but we have an advantage of big boot, however Swift back looks like an ugly frog.

I have took corners with SX4 at 120 still I feel confident and cruising in highway is a breeze. It has enough pulling power to cruise, what more you expect.

Owning the car made me prestigious among my friends. So I am happy with what I got.
Is this thread about dwindling sales of Swift or is this about SX4? Is this the best you can come up with?

I will refrain from posting in this thread further, as I feel the SX4 owners are taking my comments too personally. Its just a car dude, take light!
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 16:37   #102
BHPian
 
d_himan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 728
Thanked: 591 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
@gopinathann: I have done 160 in Chennai - Bangalore GQ, but the drive pleasure is something that is missing. There is no deny that SX4 is a good car, but it is not the best in it class.

I agree on taking pothholes more confidently, but the flip side is that you have body shake / swing (sorry i'm not able to put that in word) while going on bad roads slowly!
mail4loys, bingo. There's something missing at 160kmph (took her till 165 on ECR) - i'm unable to put a finger to it precisely too. My cousin, who was with me on the drive, felt it too. Its nice, but not super. Yes, felt that slight body shake/swing too over potholes, some looseness...but again, got used to it.

BTW, there was this free drivetrain replacement by Maruti. Haven't driven the SX4 post that, so I don't know if some of the problems are fixed.
d_himan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 21:51   #103
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Oh boy this thread is turning to be a war zone. well i had been reading posts on this thread regularly (silently) lol. Anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
a guy that drives a swift that rattles to the core.. so much, only some great ICE-ing could fix the problem - by increasing music volume to the highest tick..Enjoy!
Best reply for this line is there in my signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
well, I get around same figure 12-13 kmpl, no matter how hard i push the car as roads are fantastics in NCR
No Matter how hard you push the car, you will get the same figures? Think again what you are writing, redlining the car and you will get the same figures? Talk something real mate and come out of your dreamworld of pushing SX4 hard and getting 12-13 kmpl in cities. If your SX4 gives this much then i think you have some different kind of SX4 which maruti suzuki made only for you.
Noway you will get 12-13 kmpl pushing SX4 hard in cities.

May be i'm wrong, so any other SX4 owner in here getting 12-13 kmpl pushing their SX4 hard in cities? If others are getting it too then may be i'm wrong. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
because it is coming from a member that's been assoicated with team-bhp for long, enough to give a senior tag.
So what if you are registered here long back? If you are registered long back means you will always be right? Stop behaving like a 12 year old school boy and talk some sense.

Last edited by Gangsta : 7th December 2008 at 21:55.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 23:38   #104
BHPian
 
mail4loys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 375
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
What do u mean by drive pleasure, can u be brief it also as of now in petrol which car u consider the best in its class?
Ha! its leading us no-where! First question on explain Fun-to-drive and now drive pleasure! hmm ... by the way what car do you drive?
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 07:14   #105
BHPian
 
sathyaprakash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
Ha! its leading us no-where! First question on explain Fun-to-drive and now drive pleasure! hmm ... by the way what car do you drive?

I dont see much drive pleasure in the chennai bumper to bumper traffic can u explain the drive pleasure? so that i can also enjoy it
sathyaprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diesel Cars: Down, down, down! Market share = 34% S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 66 2nd June 2016 16:21
LML going up or going down??? devarshi84 Motorbikes 10 7th August 2009 01:32
Maruti To Launch Suzuki Splash as Maruti Suzuki Ritz in May 2009 romeomidhun The Indian Car Scene 350 9th May 2009 19:33
Suzuki SX4 or NHC type 1 second hand EDIT: SX4 now booked - EDIT 1 -Swift VDi booked GeekSrik Hatchbacks 126 24th June 2007 12:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks