Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th November 2013, 22:18   #91
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Need Advice - Car sold but not transferred

Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post

Was i conned, do i need to intimate RTO still & take confirmation from them that the vehicle is indeed transferred ?
Did you try checking it online?
Guna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 01:44   #92

Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Did you try checking it online?
Vaahan website doesn't work:(

Where do i check ?
roadjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 16:48   #93
Unhappy Re: Need Advice - Car sold but not transferred

I recently sold my car to Maruti True Value in Bangalore. All I got was a delivery note and a cheque. I argued with the manager for half an hour and was surprised to know that this is all you get for a financial transaction of such high value. After much persuasion he shared a copy of their internal purchase agreement.
After reading these posts, I checked out the btis website as well as Vahan website. On BTIS website I tried with a few vehicle numbers but got no info. Vahan is open only to govt agencies. It is foolish to expect that RTO will expose car ownership details openly just on providing registration number. So I am not sure how the people who posted earlier could see the details (unless it has been revoked since).
There is no RTO form and procedure which allows you to inform about delivery of the vehicle to a dealer. As per RTO, this transaction has no validity as there is no transfer of ownership yet. The dealer is a middle man and has no liability. Now I am not even sure if these dealers operate under any legal umbrella that allows them to possess vehicles they do not own without informing the transport dept.

So now I have the same issue. How do I know if my car is sold and transferred or still under my name? The hope is to get a transfer copy from RTO which could be weeks or months in the coming.
teju666 is offline   Reply With Quote