Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th July 2017, 18:15   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Can i Buy a Car in Chennai and register it in UP?

I really have a doubt whether temperory registration without address proof is possible. Best option is to buy in second hand market use it for as long you require & sell it of in chennai itself when the work is over.
visky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 18:17   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

If you buy from TN and try to register it any other state [other than TN], then you will have to pay an entry tax for that state which was 8% of the car's value [subtracting the VAT or whatever taxes are applicable] I am unsure as to how things are today with GST coming into effect.

The two other options which you may explore:

# Buy a pre-owned car in Chennai and sell it off after the usage is over.
# Take an year's lease with any taxi company.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 20:09   #48
BHPian

I have been in a similar scenario when I wanted to buy a car in Delhi but did not have an address proof apart from a lease agreement. Luckily for me, I finally did get it registered on the Delhi address using a few more documents (electricity bill of the landlord, my address on letterhead of my employer).

In your case, you might have 2 options:

1. Go for a Car lease
2. Since you have business in Chennai, you might also be having a bank account in Chennai. A bank passbook of a nationalized bank is also accepted as address proof.
skyrocket003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 21:04   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

That is possible. Buy the car, get invoice. They charge GST which eliminates all state taxes (incl. entry tax, state sales tax etc) and negates any local taxes to be paid later on in U.P. or elsewhere. Only GST is paid hence as applicable to the Chennai dealer. The RTO road tax of UP will have to be borne by you however, with registration charges etc in U.P.

You will have to get a transit pass issued by the dealer which has a limited validity. He will record your ownership details in documents and the temporary number plate details (maybe the local RTO is involved here) that will have a TN number in yellow background . And the insurance if done at Chennai is safer, as the car will have to be driven all through. So the transit pass, temporary registration documents and the insurance paper will all be valid to transport your car.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th July 2017 at 21:05.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 01:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

If you are going to keep the car in Chennai for a short time and then bring it back to UP, why don't you look for a corporate lease car in Chennai? You always buy and register a car in UP, when the requirement in Chennai is over with.
ashutoshb is online now   Reply With Quote