Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd October 2008, 22:24   #61
BHPian

Somebody test drive this soon.

Anybody knows when is the official release in bangalore.
hemanth.das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 18:10   #62

Thumbs up Bolero CRDe ...test drive

Guys ...i finaly got to Test Drive the new Bolero CRDe (was told i was the first prospective customer to do so.. this was apparently the first vehicle out meant to go for the official launch, press pictures etc.) Now for obvious reasons i did'n get to do any off-roading but nonetheless here goes...

Firstly as expected its much more powerful than its 68 bhp sibling! ...i mean i actually could overtake other vehicles on the road...including a honda city...that was something that didn't really happen in the older one!! the extra 30 horses showed their muscle the instant i stepped on the pedal as being used to the level of acceleration on the XD3P i was pleasantly surprised by the pick-up.
it is smoother and more refined than the other as well. Low-gear driving in traffic is also considerably improved.

What hasn't changed is the handling and suspension which is still as suspect maybe even worse off now as the vehicle is capable of attaining higher speeds sooner than earlier expected and a sudden stray dog that forced a sharp turn did'nt realy fare too well (luckily the creature will live to tell the tale!) . Also the brakes tend to jam here as well as was audible in the screech i got when i tested the same!!

In terms of interiors i was driving a machine that was tailor made to be photographed and sat in so obviously it was very well toned with all the creature comforts of any modern sedan, comfortable & plush beyond expectation (including a well placed fully functional GPS navigation screen) ...i dont know how much of these will be seen on the production models!
Tho the multi-colored back-lit speedo dials are definitely a step ahead of the previous plane janes.

Now i per se am not a very regular driver of relatively big vehicles such as these but simply being a car enthusiast who has done his fair share of driving over a range of vehicles can safely say that this one is any day a much better buy compared to the XD3P!!......ie if you want to shell out almost 8 LAKHS on-road Mumbai !!!

[quote=hemanth.das;1001808]Somebody test drive this soon.

cHEERS .
pavthebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 22:29   #63
Team-BHP Support

I have a few questions-
1.How refined is it,i mean how are the NVH levels compared to Grande/Scorpio2.6/Safari?
2.How was the powerband like,did the car have any turbo lag or did it lose power after any specified RPM?
3.Are there any changes to gearshift quality or ratios?

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th October 2008 at 14:10. Reason: Please do not quote the complete post if the original post is on same page.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 17:58   #64
BHPian

The Mahindra guys seem to manage the price and sell the vehicles too even as other companies are offering sizeable discounts for most of their products.

Also, one of the forumer says the brakes jam and screech. This is the problem in almost all new Boleros. This has to do with some cam adjustments on front discs. Some did not realize that and within 20-30 K the disc was worn out.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 12:36   #65
BHPian

Why cannot Mahindra bring some goodies from the Scoprp to Bolero? If it handles better with the new engine, it would be better. Price is resulted from pure greed.
biju_kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 12:49   #66
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I dropped into the Mahindra Showroom run by TVS near Sarovaram on the NH47 Byepass road.
I was told that I would have to go to the Edapally showroom to see the Boleros, but that they had no idea whether the CRDe is available for TD there.

I asked them to give me a contact number for that Mahindra showroom (which is also run by TVS) and was refused. they didnt have the contact details for the branch office in the same city

they were completely unwilling to even ask around to see if anyone has contacts there.

No Bolero/scorpio/ingenio for me, atleast, not while I'm living in cochin.
TVS cochin are probably the worst bunch of Sales and after sales that I've seen.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 15:27   #67
Senior - BHPian

6.97 is costly for Bolero when a scorpio M2di is available for a triffle less. Even with CRDe about 6L is what makes me feel happy with a Bolero.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 19:19   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
No Bolero/scorpio/ingenio for me, atleast, not while I'm living in cochin.
TVS cochin are probably the worst bunch of Sales and after sales that I've seen.
TVS had a monopoly on Mahindra dealerships in Kerala. Their attitude harks back to the time when Jeep had a monopoly on the UV market.

We had the same issue with the Tata dealerships, but looks like Tata has taken their dealships seriously and the Tata dealers in Kerala are probably better than TVS mahindra dealers.

I agree with you about TVS. Mahindra ought to start giving dealerships to others to increase the competition in Kerala. We have been jeep buyers for over 3 generations starting with my grandfather's CJ3 petrol.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 6th October 2008 at 19:20.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 20:36   #69
BANNED

True attitude in Mahindra dealerships is not customer friendly, they operate as a Govt. office, where no one seems bothered, as they are confidant that the person who has come to their showroom will surely make a purchase no matter what the attitude of sales staff. This is due to the fact that most of the buyers are from rural or backward areas, who are not demanding & not in tune with the times.
I think many rural folk are going to go gaga with the CRDE Bolero at this price point too & inspire more confidence in Mahindra to price insanely in future too, much to our displeasure!
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 12:36   #70
BHPian

2 weeks back I had gone to Vijay auto in Koramangala for Logan test drive and when I enquired about the Bolero with new heart he said it will come sometime in 2009. That's the level of information they have it seems.

Like everybody else is saying > 7L is too high for Bolero. My wife also liked the idea of having a Bolero and we were waiting for the CRDe version but now don't know if we will go-ahead with new bolero.

Thiyags
thiyags22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 14:52   #71
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Dealerships do know much in advance before a new model is launched, probably the folks who interact with customers never get to know or they dont bother in getting the details from the higher ups.

Before a new model is launched, there are some prerequisites to be completed by the dealer before they can start selling the model in the market. Its not like the vehicles get send to them one fine night, they wake up and see it parked outside and then they say fine we need to sell this.

Try asking folks at the higher level about a new launch - the marketing guys or sales guys sitting at the counter hardly know anything about the vehicles already on sale forget about they having information about newly launched one's.

About Vijay Auto - probably the wrong person again, do complain if you come across such folks there. I know, "why should i care?" but then its an attitude we as customers need to change at the dealer end. Too much to ask but then..
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 19:16   #72

.anshuman...

1>NVH observations were interesting- tho it seemed much louder on the outside once inside with the windows up n ac on it was almost soundless... the particular one i was driving had sound-absorbent velvet lining on the inside i was told! ...actually seemed to work... overall like i said was a tad more refined than the competition .

2>power-band seemed linear and uniform... as a matter of fact got smoother as the needle climbed on the tacho. no obvious turbo lag as such.

3>did'nt really notice any jarring differences in the gearshift quality as well tho i was able to negotiate a slow round-about comfortably in the 3rd whereas the older would definitely demand a shift down to 2nd.

...Hope i could help u bro.

btw "on-road thane the vehicle comes to 7,69,692/-" to be precise! and "will be available in bombay within 7 days" ...i got this as a text message from the showroom sales exec.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th October 2008 at 20:10. Reason: See note. Please no "u", "tho", "n", etc. Thanks!
pavthebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 21:05   #73
BHPian

Just need to know one thing.
I simply HATE the new front bumper of Bolero. Is there a way that the old bumper could be fitted on the new look Bolero?
I have considered buying it quite a few times but then the bumper look changed to an absolute UGLY. Plz help !
zzzehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 22:37   #74
BHPian

Yes with a few alterations you can fit the old bumper on the new bolero.
hemanth.das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 11:26   #75
BHPian

I have never liked the bolero very much other than the time it was launched. The Jeep model grills were the ones which was the reason for that. But more and more i started using the vehicle, i lost impression on it.

And as mentioned in the test drive, the brakes has always been of low quality in Mahindras. They always provide you with bigger and better gripping tyres, so that an advantage. more over th leg room and seat movement in the Bolero is very restricted.

Is this the same Engine as in scorpio CRDe
backrub is offline   Reply With Quote