BHPian

Here's something to add to the confusion : the person in charge of delivery
in Bimal Auto in Bangalore told me yesterday that I must use only regular
unleaded petrol in my new Baleno, and NOT any of the fuels with additives in
them (power,speed, etc.), as that would void my warranty ! Apparently that's
Maruti's directive. Are BHPians aware of this ? When I asked for something to
the effect in writing, he pointed me to the Q&A section of some magazine
(Route *** or something) that Maruti customers get a complimentary subscription
to. Of course, the latest issue I was given didn't have anything regarding this,
and I couldn't track down that guy again. Now another person from the service
dept. told me that I could use any kind of unleaded fuel I liked, including
power/speed etc. (i.e. those having additives) ! So there seems to be a lot of
confusion between different people in the same organization! I also asked about
usability of EII fuel in EIII cars. Apparently, they were not sent any directive
from Maruti in this regard, and they promised to get this clarified from Maruti.

-- Meerkat
meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2005, 04:28   #17
BHPian

Talking

hi meerkat,
regarding ur post on being told not to use anything but "regular" unleaded (although it's anything but regular) in ur new car sounds familiar to me .. my uncle just bought a brand new city and he was told the same thing .. apparently the explanation was that it's not "good" for the honda engines .. what that means is anybody's guess .. but after a sound technical explanation like that who's to debate ..... heh heh heh
revvhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 23:57   #18
BHPian

The Swift Manual states that you can use Petrol of Octane 88 or higher.
sharathjeppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 09:25   #19
BHPian

IMO the big oil cos are adultrating fuel because of the heavy taxes imposed on them. Most of the companies make a loss wiith every litre of fuel they sell. So if they dont adultrate the fuel they will go bankrupt... So if the government decides to reduce the taxes to an acceptable level there might be some hope...
tsreekaranrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 09:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

But dont the oil co's pass on that tax to the consumer??
If not, then why do i pay 50+ bucks per litre?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 13:54   #21
BHPian

This is for the Moderators and Senior guys here!

This fuel adulteration seems like a serious problem which individuals cant handle at the stations. Could the forum influence the govt bodies to take up few of our suggestions and also provide some feed back on the same . may be get to know of labs / test centers available or how govt proposes that individual could help govt give feedback on the fuel quality at stations..

So overall could we collaborate with the govt ...to give feedback / learn more from govt bodies..

do correct me if what i think is outside the rules of the forum
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 14:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Why dont we start a thread (BHPians onwards only - no newbies) where people can log in Trusted Pumps from each city? At least based on experience.

That can then become a sort of reference point for anyone who's planning a trip out of their locations. Too often we find ourselves in a strange city, having to make a decision on what pump to fill fuel in based on pure intuition.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 14:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

The fact is that most petrol pumps are owned either by ministers or their gangster relatives. The allotment of petrol pumps itself is a big racket. There is no transparency in the application/allotment process.
Many years back, a late friend of mine (he is no more) got a petrol pump alloted to himself through his mother's connections. His mother was a senior politician of Haryana and a minister. The guy was a millionaire (courtesy his mother's corrupt practices). I happended to see his application for allotment of petrol pump. In the application, he had stated that he was an indigent person with no means of livelihood and therefore a petrol pump should be alloted to him on compassionate grounds!

Later on, after the pump had been alloted, he himself admitted to me that there are two ways in which the petrol pump owners make money. One is to undersell (you actually get something like 985 ml or so for each litre displayed in meter) and the other is to adulterate.

The Outlook story should have led to a major hue and cry nationwide but nothing much seems to have happened. We Indians are so forgiving and forgetful! Around the same time as the Outlook story appeared, an IIM-educated executive working for one of the PSU petroleum companies was shot dead in broad daylight for threatening to expose the parties involved in the scam, in his territory. Even this did not wake up the authorities.

After all, the pumps are owned by the lawmakers themselves. You can't expect the cats to bell themselves.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 15:10   #24
Team-BHP Support

Is there a way to easily separate the adulterants from the fuel? I mean any simple DIY type of process? Probably some chemistry graduate can explain this. If that can be done a good way to ensure good fuel for your vehicle will be to buy the fuel in a can and then do a clean-up at home (something like distillation) and then use that fuel to top up.

In fact this way you will also get to know the pumps to avoid in future based on the quantity of adulterants found in the fuel.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 15:18   #25
BHPian

I heard about Fiat Petra Diesel.. it has technology to identify the quality of fuel and indicate. This was told by the dealer when i was looking out to buy the car.

May be newer cars have technology to grade the fuel we put in.
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 16:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire
I heard about Fiat Petra Diesel.. it has technology to identify the quality of fuel and indicate. This was told by the dealer when i was looking out to buy the car.

May be newer cars have technology to grade the fuel we put in.
I don't Know about this, but Indica, and sumo engines have been designed to be able to handle poor fuel.

Indica can a 50:50 blend of diesel and kerosene. and i know for sure Sumo can run on pure kerosene.

I know this because one of our sumo got out of diesel in a remote place. The driver put in 5 litres of kerosene and drove it to the nearest pump to fill her up with diesel.

And it is still running fine around 90k on odo.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote