Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th March 2005, 18:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey Satya,
if you dont mind me asking,you had a 4 year extended warranty right???
Then when you got yourself a k&n filter and a free flow,did'nt that void you warranty???
Just wanted to know,as im pretty much unaware of this warranty stuff.

X
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2005, 20:46   #17
BHPian

Sai Service in Pune give an extended warranty that costs more than the regular Maruti Extended Warranty, logic being they cover many other things that are not covered in the 'extended' warranty, making it more comprehensive. You can check with the dealer about any such offering to have a complete cover. Do take care to see what the extras offered are and are they worth the extra dough!
simran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2005, 20:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

4k for an extended warranty for a year is nothing. If you have already spent lacs on buying the car, it makes a whole lot of sense to spend just a bit more for a whole year's worth of piece of mind. SS has already mentioned all the reasons. So just go for it! Better to spend a bit now rather than regret it later.
Deeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2005, 13:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine
Hey Satya,
if you dont mind me asking,you had a 4 year extended warranty right???
Then when you got yourself a k&n filter and a free flow,did'nt that void you warranty???
Just wanted to know,as im pretty much unaware of this warranty stuff.

X

yeah ,
it did void my warranty for that part.i.e if i would have had a problem with the exhaust system,i could not have claimed anything.
regarding a k&n,u dont need to cut or modify anything to fit it.

also the parts that were replaced under warranty had nothing to do with the exhaust or the air intake.

morever,i think k7n claims that it's filters do not affect the warranty on a car.
as it is ,i now have a Stock replacement K&n filter.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2005, 16:59   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
4k for an extended warranty for a year is nothing. If you have already spent lacs on buying the car, it makes a whole lot of sense to spend just a bit more for a whole year's worth of piece of mind. SS has already mentioned all the reasons. So just go for it! Better to spend a bit now rather than regret it later.
That's a very good reason, and seems to be how many of you feel. Okay guys,
you'd convinced me to go for it, and I did. Just like you guys had convinced
me earlier to go for the Baleno, and she is standing on my parking space now!
Thanks a lot guys. Only if you guys could convince me now to venture onto
Bangalore roads on my still unhurt car .... :-).

-- meerkat
meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 20:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Extended Warranty : Worth it ?

It is total NONSENSE created by MARUTI and is fleecing the customers by giving assurances when money for extended warranty is paid.

These showroom jokers when delivering the new cars persist you to take extended warranty,with sweet talking ,and you are in a good mood when taking new car delivery and you fall in their trap.

They give give big statements as "From now onwards for FOUR YEARS YOU MUST HAVE PEACEFUL SLEEP

Now today's cars are made in such a way that they hardly fail or give big problems within 2 to 3 yrs time.
If at all any thing goes wrong in that extended warranty period then you are told that this is covered that is not covered and at times some of the items are not mentioined in the extended warranty,althogh they are covered.
These A.S.S. guys pretend not knowing that this item is covered or not covered, you end up paying for the job which actally must be free.

I have two of my own cases for this big joke of MARUTI E.W.

*I had a 2004 Maruti Omini with E.W. and somewhere in 2007 the exhaust system catalytic converter grill got loose inside and was rattling, I took it to VITESSE Andheri, after seeing it their Service Adviser without consulting with their senior, without looking and reading the E.W. booklet said "IT IS NOT COVERED UNDER E.W."I t is a wear and tear item and it must be paid for,I lost my cool and directly on the spot dailed Regional service manager Maruti at Bandra and told him about the statement this S.A.is giving me.

He immediately told him that it is covered in E.W. and replace it now, the Omini was immediately taken inside the work shop and the exhaust system in full was replaced.
Next came the sliding window glass frame ,left side was totally cororded that too in just less them 2 yrs, even that was replaced when I raised my voice.
*Today was turn of my sons SWIFT VDI again with E.W.
The suspention was making little noice so when I went to them they saw that I have replaced the regular wheels to Alloy wheels, they said that warranty for suspention is no more valid because of the alloy wheels I have replace with regular ones.

Can any one tell me is it true that I have lost my Extended Warranty on the suspention because of alloys I have used instead of regular wheels.
I have not found any where written about this subject in the E.W.book.
Actually I have found reasons that these A.S.S. try to dodge the free replacement of defective parts.
Thses A.S.S. have to purchase parts from Maruti against payments and now when they are replaced under paid service they are HAPPY as they get paid immediately.

When parts are under warranty they have to send to maruti at Delhi, then WAIT for the replaced parts,which is time consuming and loss of money to the A.S.S. till he is reimbersed.
Now about my SWIFT suspention today , the S.A. told me that it will be a paid job and greasing the suspention (but not O/H) will cost me 1500/-.I dont understand how will they grese the suspention without actually opening it, I think they will mearly apply grease on the moving parts from outside to show you that they have done their job.

I brought the car back went to my regular mechanic at veera desai rd, he said that it is no major issue, even then he will open up the suspention grease all moving components including the moving top portion of STRUTS.
He asked me to get balance rod bushes ,thats all.or may be struts kit will be needed .
His labour for almost complete suspention O/H 600/-, parts expected to cost about 400/-.One full days job for him.
I am going to him on saturday,

Wise advice REFRAIN from this stupid EXTENDED WARRANTY scam.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 21:10   #22
BANNED

I very much support paying the additional 5k or so that they charged us for the +2 years. It really is a negligible amount for the possible benefits.
puneet_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 21:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Depends on what rims and tires your son has on his Swift .If its the same as on the Swift Zxi ,you can still get your Extended Wrranty.Why dont you write to MUL on this .I have seen immediate action being taken against erring dealers
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 22:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
It is total NONSENSE created by MARUTI and is fleecing the customers by giving assurances when money for extended warranty is paid.

These showroom jokers when delivering the new cars persist you to take extended warranty,with sweet talking ,and you are in a good mood when taking new car delivery and you fall in their trap.

They give give big statements as "From now onwards for FOUR YEARS YOU MUST HAVE PEACEFUL SLEEP

Now today's cars are made in such a way that they hardly fail or give big problems within 2 to 3 yrs time.
If at all any thing goes wrong in that extended warranty period then you are told that this is covered that is not covered and at times some of the items are not mentioined in the extended warranty,althogh they are covered.
These A.S.S. guys pretend not knowing that this item is covered or not covered, you end up paying for the job which actally must be free.

*I had a 2004 Maruti Omini with E.W. and somewhere in 2007 the exhaust system catalytic converter grill got loose inside and was rattling, I took it to VITESSE Andheri, after seeing it their Service Adviser without consulting with their senior, without looking and reading the E.W. booklet said "IT IS NOT COVERED UNDER E.W."I t is a wear and tear item and it must be paid for,I lost my cool and directly on the spot dailed Regional service manager Maruti at Bandra and told him about the statement this S.A.is giving me.

He immediately told him that it is covered in E.W. and replace it now, the Omini was immediately taken inside the work shop and the exhaust system in full was replaced.
Next came the sliding window glass frame ,left side was totally cororded that too in just less them 2 yrs, even that was replaced when I raised my voice.
The suspention was making little noice so when I went to them they saw that I have replaced the regular wheels to Alloy wheels, they said that warranty for suspention is no more valid because of the alloy wheels I have replace with regular ones.

Can any one tell me is it true that I have lost my Extended Warranty on the suspention because of alloys I have used instead of regular wheels.
Actually I have found reasons that these A.S.S. try to dodge the free replacement of defective parts.
Thses A.S.S. have to purchase parts from Maruti against payments and now when they are replaced under paid service they are HAPPY as they get paid immediately.

When parts are under warranty they have to send to maruti at Delhi, then WAIT for the replaced parts,which is time consuming and loss of money to the A.S.S. till he is reimbersed.
Now about my SWIFT suspention today , the S.A. told me that it will be a paid job and greasing the suspention (but not O/H) will cost me 1500/-.I dont understand how will they grese the suspention without actually opening it, I think they will mearly apply grease on the moving parts from outside to show you that they have done their job.

I brought the car back went to my regular mechanic at veera desai rd, he said that it is no major issue, even then he will open up the suspention grease all moving components including the moving top portion of STRUTS.
He asked me to get balance rod bushes ,thats all.or may be struts kit will be needed .
His labour for almost complete suspention O/H 600/-, parts expected to cost about 400/-.One full days job for him.

This is in continuation of my earlier post regarding E.W. of my Swift.
After I spoke to number of people and some of my dear Team Bhpians sugested to mail this subject to MUL, at Delhi. I did that and in twodays time got a call from the Vitesse Andheri w/s. Calling me to sort out the matter and they agreed to work on the suspention etc.irrespective to my ALLOY WHEELS matter, but asked me to revert back to regular wheels if I want my E.W. to continue.

They kept the car for 4 days and in tat time did regular service,suspention checked ,power window machine replaced,checked my rear red extra light.

I went to CST RD and got second hand, almost new wheels four of them @200/- each and got them replaced with alloys.I think I must be only person in the world replacing alloys to regular shitty wheels just because of that Stupid policy of MARUTI OR VITTESSE.
Pls see pics taken about 1 hr back.Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Extended Warranty : Worth it ?-photo0109.jpg  

Maruti Extended Warranty : Worth it ?-photo0110.jpg  

Maruti Extended Warranty : Worth it ?-photo0111.jpg  

Maruti Extended Warranty : Worth it ?-photo0112.jpg  

Maruti Extended Warranty : Worth it ?-photo0114.jpg  

IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 23:14   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe E.W. is something good. I have taken the 2 years / 40K kms extra warranty and I am having a better time. Some time back, my diesel filter sensor conked off and it was not covered under warranty. So I had to pay 1.2K from my pocket. Now I lost a key of my car and ordered a new pair. When they tried to register the key, some error is shown on a corresponding unit which costs 4K ! Since I am on extended warranty, I will be getting it done free of cost. I had replaced a horn which was not working under EW as well. Also my SE told me that my starter motor is having some problem, so will be getting it rectified as well under EW. I am yet to complete 3 years and I have almost already recovered the amount spent and I have another year of warranty left!

Edit:: On the wheel / alloy front, I don't think warranty will be void unless you upgrade the size of the alloy wheels [eg: Stock size - 14" and upgrade size - 15" and so on]!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th June 2011 at 23:17.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 23:29   #26
BHPian

Its a no-brainer really.. Just close your eyes and buy the extended. Hopefully you dont need to use it ever!!
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 23:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post

Sorry to hear about your ordeal but sirji I beg to differ. In a Diesel Swift there are 100 expensive things that can go wrong from a turbo to a syncronising ring in the gearbox because of the torque. I have got the steering gearbox of my swift diesel replaced which costs a wooping 24000 in extended warranty just 20 days back as it was making a noise since long. Struts are covered under warranty till 60 thousand kilometers. Turbo is covered under warranty and extended warranty and because of the cost cutting they do fail as seen all over the forum.

BTW I have alloys wheels too and my steering system was still replaced without a question. Its more about the relation you share with the service station rather than the 'rule book'. If you share a brilliant relation with a service station you can replace 3/4th of your car in warranty, Trust me.

It costs nothing to buy extended warranty around 3 to 4 grand at max and then its really a peace of mind for those 2 years
humyum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 02:26   #28
BHPian

Yes, its fully worth it. The nominal amount that you will pay is quite justified for the piece of mind that you get. Maruti parts may be cheap and easy to maintain but whats the point in taking a risk, what if some crucial costly part malfunctions. Its not worth regretting later. Just read all the terms and conditions and parts/components covered in the package.
ravi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 03:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

It depends buddy. Extended warranty reduced our service bill on 4th year for Wagon-R. Maruti replaced the brake cylinder & few other engine related parts (not sure, this was about 2 years back) on extended warranty. IIRC we paid around 3.5k for extended warranty & I would say it was recovered on free replacement.

I would say this gives an additional peace of mind or what ever we call it. IMO it is worthy.
Mr.Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 10:35   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Its a no-brainer really.. Just close your eyes and buy the extended. Hopefully you dont need to use it ever!!
Absolutely! How much is extended warranty anyways? Less than 1% of the total value in most cases. But it offers complete peace of mind for many years. Be it Maruti or any other, Extended Warranty is definitely worth it.

Let me give you an example. My friend had bought one of the very first Swift DDiS and he didnít take extended warranty. It is common knowledge that the earlier cars had inadequate brakes. The heavy Diesel engine along with the lack of engine braking made it quite handful for people who are not used to driving it. And it is a fast car needing every bit of that extra braking power. It was a lot later that Maruti started replacing the brake booster with a better (bigger?) one in all the Diesels. We missed out on a free replacement just because the car was out of warranty.

So it makes a lot of sense to go for it. You may have to haggle with certain dealers for certain issues. And having the ex. warranty cover gives you a case to fight for, at the very least.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote