Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th April 2010, 10:24   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default Someone's listened afterall!

Did you guys notice that they are using the name Vista more and trying to shed off the Indica tag? Finally they have catched up!
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 10:59   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Did you guys notice that they are using the name Vista more and trying to shed off the Indica tag? Finally they have catched up!
They are also advertising, something as drivetech 4 and say only indica name is carried over or only one thing is carried over. Something of these sorts.

I think, this is more to do with the brand building of Vista
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 11:39   #183
BHPian

And they have made the TDI engine BS4 compatible, frankly speaking, I didn't expect it to happen
teknophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 14:07   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Simply because the Vista is targeting an upmarket / different clintelle than the regular Indica does. Further, they are being sold side by side (the Vista being at a premium). One of the major restrictions to the Vista's success has been its image.

The '09 M3 was a replacement for the '05, and has pretty much the same market positioning.

I think that the market positioning for the old indica and the vista are quite the same. When the indica was launched initially and upto 2005's it had a slightly premium family hatchback feel. The Indica vista now precisely has this same feel. The excessive taxi and cheap usage has made the old indica feel cheaper than it is. The vista suffers from the current reputation of its older brother.
petroguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 14:47   #185
BHPian

Default Tata Launches Indica Vista with DriveTech4 (improvised Gearbox)

As per the advertisments Indica Vista DriveTech4 has following new features:

- Bharat Stage 4 Compliant engines
- Eurotech Gearbox
- Drive-by-wire technology
- ABS and Air bags
- Blue 5 technology

The BS4 1.3L Indica Vista DriveTech4 is perfectly mated to 5 speed Eurotech gearbox giving higher torque, super silent operation and minimal vibration for reduced NVH, precise gear shifting, longer engine life and cooled exhaust gas recirculation for lower emissions. The BS4 1.2L Indica Vista DriveTech4 is again perfectly mated to 5 speed Eurotech gearbox for increased fuel efficiency, enhanced refinement, smoother gearshifts and cooled exhaust gas recirculation for lower emissions.

[Via: Cars India ]
Source:Tata Launches Indica Vista DriveTech4 | Uncategorized | Autos - Autos at Maxabout.net, News, Images, Videos, Auto Insurance, Cars, Bikes

My question is does it going to maintain the best city driving diesel hatch tag?
TeddyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 15:59   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
I think that the market positioning for the old indica and the vista are quite the same. When the indica was launched initially and upto 2005's it had a slightly premium family hatchback feel. The Indica vista now precisely has this same feel. The excessive taxi and cheap usage has made the old indica feel cheaper than it is. The vista suffers from the current reputation of its older brother.

Thats the common belief and I think it is bang on ... Vista has been appreciated by all and sundry for its VFM ... but it cant shed the pedigree ... wonder if people are right in criticizing a car in this fashion. Well i certainly wouldn't wanna drive around in a car that people call cab ! But for those who dont wanna spend much but take pride in their car's performance, Vista is not a bad product to buy at all !

Opinions ??

Last edited by bigautobuff : 28th April 2010 at 16:01.
bigautobuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 11:04   #187
GTO
Team-BHP Support

At the time of launch, the Vista diesel was my favourite diesel hatch. However, and surprisingly in only two years, the game has moved on. For VFM, nothing beats the Figo diesel. Though priced a tad higher, the Punto MJD can be very satisfying to own. And for those willing to splurge, nothings as quick, loaded or premium as the 90 BHP i20 diesel.

The Vista remains a big spacious hatch at a good price. At the time of launch, its chief & only competitor was the Swift diesel. Now, it has the Ritz, Figo, Punto, i20 etc. to fight with. Strange, but in only 2 years, the Vista is already feeling old.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 17:00   #188
jpm
BHPian

Unhappy Vista.. well..

Quote:
At the time of launch, the Vista diesel was my favourite diesel hatch. However, and surprisingly in only two years, the game has moved on. For VFM, nothing beats the Figo diesel. Though priced a tad higher, the Punto MJD can be very satisfying to own. And for those willing to splurge, nothings as quick, loaded or premium as the 90 BHP i20 diesel.

The Vista remains a big spacious hatch at a good price. At the time of launch, its chief & only competitor was the Swift diesel. Now, it has the Ritz, Figo, Punto, i20 etc. to fight with. Strange, but in only 2 years, the Vista is already feeling old.
+1 to that.

This time last year, the competition to Vista when i was shopping around were
1. the ubiquitous Swift Diesel.
2. the i20 1.2 which seemed overpriced at 5.4L.
3. Then Just launched quirky looking Ritz with Diesel.
4. "perenially on the verge of launch" Punto.
5. "Will it be launched and if it was - at what price?" Polo.
6. the ailing Fabia

What a drastic change has 1 year made to the hatch market in India.

Vista still remains competitive but with the Polo, Figo and even i20 (which seems decent value after the launch of Jazz): I doubt I would have even shortlisted Vista this year, if i were shopping.
jpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 17:18   #189
BHPian

Vista still remains the KING if one wants internal space at the terrific price point. This is something I have learnt to appreciate over a period of 1.5 years of ownership.
Given a choice, I might still buy the V2 Vista over the Figo simply for cheaper spares. Figo shares the same diesel as the Fiesta which aint cheap to maintain in case of major repairs.
I would still give 5 stars to Vista when it come to VFM...
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 17:25   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Vista still remains the KING if one wants internal space at the terrific price point. This is something I have learnt to appreciate over a period of 1.5 years of ownership.
Given a choice, I might still buy the V2 Vista over the Figo simply for cheaper spares. Figo shares the same diesel as the Fiesta which aint cheap to maintain in case of major repairs.
Totally agree, I too would pick the Vista over the Figo.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 13:11   #191
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
+1 to that.

This time last year, the competition to Vista when i was shopping around were
1. the ubiquitous Swift Diesel.
2. the i20 1.2 which seemed overpriced at 5.4L.
3. Then Just launched quirky looking Ritz with Diesel.
4. "perenially on the verge of launch" Punto.
5. "Will it be launched and if it was - at what price?" Polo.
6. the ailing Fabia

What a drastic change has 1 year made to the hatch market in India.

Vista still remains competitive but with the Polo, Figo and even i20 (which seems decent value after the launch of Jazz): I doubt I would have even shortlisted Vista this year, if i were shopping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Totally agree, I too would pick the Vista over the Figo.

Eventhough I have booked Figo, I have softcorner towards Vista for three reasons.
1. Comparatively cheap (Figo TDCi EXi Vs Vista Aura QJD)
2. Better Engine in terms of smoothness, less sound & Highway champion
3. Tremendous Space

One thing which I feel is after 5 years the vehicle may look older than Figo (even now within 3 years of launch Vista started looking old as rightly said by GTO). The sturdiness and stability will make Figo a leader.

So far Figo is not consistent on the FE part with respect to petrol (worse) and diesel as per initial feedback from our tbhpians.
If Figo comes out well in FE then it will occupy a larger space in the hatchback segment otherwise MJD's will rule again.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 13:20   #192
BHPian

IMO, Vista looks way better than Figo from all angles.
Looks-wise, Figo arrived in a coffin, stone cold dead. It looked dated on its launch day itself.

Figo will sell well since its a much better put-together car. It also helps that the TDCi is suddenly available at attractive OTR prices.

Last edited by WindRide : 30th April 2010 at 13:22.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 14:31   #193
BHPian

Smile Tata Motors launches new Indica Vista Drivetech4

Tata Motors launches new Indica Vista Drivetech4-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

The text:

NEW DELHI: Tata Motors has launched a new Indica Vista range today, the Indica Vista Drivetech4. The new range aims at improving the driving experience for its customers. The Indica Vista, essentially a second-generation Indica was launched in August 2008.

The new Indica Vista Drivetech4 is Euro-4 compliant in both petrol and diesel forms. The company claims that a new Eurotech gearbox for diesel and petrol variants ensures higher torque at lower RPM, reduces vibration and provides a better shifting experience. In addition, the gearbox is also claimed to ensure cooled exhaust gas recirculation for lower emissions and hence a longer life.

New features in the interior include a four-spoke tilt-adjustable steering wheel and height adjustable driverís seat. 60:40 split folding rear seats allow for increased storage area when required. Entertainment gets a bump in the form of an integrated 2-din stereo system with Blue 5 and USB port compatibility. Dual airbags at the front and ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System) add to the safety quotient of the car.

Tata has priced the new car competitively from Rs 3.57 lakhs for the Safire petrol range and Rs 4.4 lakhs for the Quadrajet diesel range (ex-showroom, Delhi).
wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 12:59   #194
BHPian

Fully Agree!!

I am currently looking around for a new car for city to replace my old trusted and now ailing M800. Seen Figo, Beat, Swift, (Horrible) Ritz n a-star, i10, polo, micra... but after every car I see, I still feel more VFM for Vista. I feel something or the other amiss in all of them. And everytime I TD the vista, I get on an emotional high. Don't see any point in choosing any other car.

And I am in dilemma coz after having owned 3 Tata cars in past (2 still serving fabulously, one of them being the KING), the sentimental value also is high to go for Vista. But at the same time, I felt I should also get a change and opt for a different manufacturer now.

Moral of story to cut short - I think while it makes sense to retain the Indica name as brand, but I think what Tata is now doing is slowly catapulting the Vista n Manza brands and would make all further model introduction on these brands rather than their original ones. Though the Indica/go tags would remain albeit in fineprint below the Vista/ Manza logos I guess. Makes it smart IMHO.
keyurshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 23:20   #195
BHPian

Quote:

Completely agree with GTO. Over a year back there was no car which made a better buy for the price, space and driveability, but there are tons of options today and i can only imagine what it would be in a year or two from now. I think this is a reality that Maruti is waking up to as well.
But inspite of all this, it is still a great VFM for the price and space and will have to fight it out with the competition.
My personal experience so far has been great. Am nearing 20K service and there is not as much a squeak or rattle troubling me (touchwood).
vista_qjd is offline   Reply With Quote