Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th April 2009, 18:45   #106
Senior - BHPian

I think, Indica Vista looks great in person. It looks much better and bigger than new V2.

The finish is much better and appears to have cut down fat from bulbous old gen Indica. Front looks good and aggressive, while the rear resembles partly old Indica and partly Ford Fusion.

Anniversary version (is that what it is called?) definitely looks rich in offwhite/cream color. Alloys are good as well. I don't know what's the sticker price for this car though.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 19:05   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Simply because the Vista is targeting an upmarket / different clintelle than the regular Indica does. Further, they are being sold side by side (the Vista being at a premium). One of the major restrictions to the Vista's success has been its image.

The '09 M3 was a replacement for the '05, and has pretty much the same market positioning.
I think we may be getting wrong picture here (because old V2 is not discontinued)

The first Indica was launched when, around late 1999?
But now i do understand the confusion, however, the price for new model, dont necessarily need to be same (for exampe new City, and other new models worldwide tend to be slightly expensive- more or less) same goes for Vista considering it is carrying better quality with more cost (not because it has become upscale car, but because it is 2009, not 1999)

For example, we had old Mini or old Beatle, yet the new Mini/Beatle look similar to the old one- because they are supposed to look similar, yet both cost more.

Similarly, the new Indica is also supposed to carry Indica DNA along.

Now, I guess, if they had discontinued V2 on time, then things would look simple. Seems, like they continue to sell V2 for ovbious business reasons.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 00:15   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
That original shape still looks pretty neat - unlike the later 'V2', 'Xeta' or 'Turbo' shapes.
True, I like the old design. The other versions appear little more bulky with unmatching tyres
sudheeshnairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 00:58   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
I think we may be getting wrong picture here (because old V2 is not discontinued)

The point here is that considering Tatas still sell the V2 alongside the Vista and there is a considerable price gap between these two its but obvious that Vista is targetted at a segment that wants more and by extension something different from the V2. It may thus make some sense to have a body shape that is markedly different from the V2.

Having said that my personal opinion is that the Vista does look good. Irrespective of everything else it has a class of touch about it. The lines are much smoother and have a consistency about them. In comparison the artificially bulbous lips (tata speak) over the wheel arches and the add-on skirt all around looked like an afterthought in the redesigned V2. In fact the looks are pretty distinct if you look at both the cars and yet the Vista maintains its subtle family lineage in terms of its basic shape. I think thats understandable, at least to me.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 11:50   #110
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Zap took the words right out of my mouth.

WRT the Vista's looks, of course, I think it is a great looking hatch. But one can't deny that it is too similar to its cheaper older sibling for comfort.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 12:38   #111
BHPian

I feel that Vista's front end gives it a squeezed mini MPV look. I have tried to do some modifications to front end , which in my opinion looks better than the original design.
Attached Thumbnails
That's an Indica. Nope, Vista...Nah Indica!! SIGHHHH!-indicavista-modtata.jpg  

rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 23:06   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I feel that Vista's front end gives it a squeezed mini MPV look. I have tried to do some modifications to front end , which in my opinion looks better than the original design.
Good job. The chrome strip on the bonnet and the oversized grill spoil the Vista's looks. My advise to Tata: Remove that chrome and put in a much smaller grill like on the i20.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:11   #113
BHPian

For me, the Indica Vista is almost a perfect evolution of its predecessor. Although the 'Indica' name and the similarity in looks will cause a problem in private car sales, but over the years the Indica has been fairly succesful in building a new image of affordable and rugged piece of machinery, but it is clear that Tata wants to develop the Indica brand as its core name in the hatchback market.

And I don't see anything wrong in that. The original Indica, despite its shortcomings, is still selling like hot cakes and I find no reason why its successor can't take the mantle forward.

These days, I see many Vistas running on the roads, so the car is gaining acceptance amongst buyers which is a good sign.
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 17:07   #114
BHPian

I saw an vista Quadrajet in white colour today it was not the limited edition but the roof top with normal white colour and normal wheel caps instead of alloys, has Tata started white colour in vista as regular ?
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 19:40   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
you inspired me..here is my design.. V1 indica grill.
Attached Thumbnails
That's an Indica. Nope, Vista...Nah Indica!! SIGHHHH!-indicavista-modtata.jpg  

tushky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 19:53   #116
BHPian

I don't know what the differences between the Vista and V2 versions of the Indica are, and here's the kicker-- except for the headlights, which I really like, the Vista looks so similar to the previous avatars of the Indica that I don't even want to know. The design fails to motivate me to take an interest in the car as a new model-- which, gathering from some of the posts I've read, it seems to be.

I mentioned this sentiment once earlier in another thread and ruffled some Tata fan's feathers, so please-- I know I could look up the differences; I don't want to; and I'm just saying that to a casual observer, the Vista doesn't inspire-- almost solely because it looks just like its predecessors.

Associating with Windows version names doesn't help, either!
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 16:28   #117
Senior - BHPian

Vista is a bigger car ,atleast it gives us the bigger car feel.Looks so sure shot and there are no loose points compared to the V2.In the V2 the side skirtings do come off or the gap between the skirt and the body increases with age.vista in that aspect is great.Interior is far better and the speedo console is great.Loads of space inside and the one hurdle it has to overcome is the image of the V2.Image of V2 translates into lots of issues like the taxi out look+quality of plastics+puny resale value etc.I hope TATA does some thing to overcome the image what the indica has developed through the years and turn the fortunes of the company.I would love to see 2 indian companies being at the helm as far as indian auto scene is concerned.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 12:43   #118
BHPian

I think initially recognizing the Indica V2 from the Vista was a problem, but now with more and more Vistas on the road and people getting familiar with the car the problem should no longer be there.

The Vista looks totally different car from any other car.
Its height is same as any tall boy hatch like Santro, i10 yet the width is more than the tall boy hatches.The width is more than or equal to most sedans.
This makes the car look very SUVish and seating inside is also very SUVish so its a really nice car if you like a huge space inside, good road visibility(you can look in the eyes of scorpio and safari drivers) and good road presence outside.

Cheers,
Nitin

Last edited by revhappy : 9th May 2009 at 12:47.
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 17:58   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
I don't know what the differences between the Vista and V2 versions of the Indica are, and here's the kicker-- except for the headlights, which I really like, the Vista looks so similar to the previous avatars of the Indica that I don't even want to know. The design fails to motivate me to take an interest in the car as a new model-- which, gathering from some of the posts I've read, it seems to be.
+1 to this.

I think the Vista was more evolutionary than revolutionary.

TATA has missed a huge chance I feel.They could have made the design much more appealing.

Although must admit my friend owns one and I really like the car and the red color.Its really BIG on the inside.

And its not an Indica by a long shot.Should have been branded afresh.

Last edited by joy_swift : 14th May 2009 at 17:59.
joy_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 11:49   #120
BHPian

i still believe the Vista looks quite different from the older Indica.

this was just re-confirmed when we went in to book my sister's Vista Safire.

and FWIW, my sister who is not really so in touch with automotive trends and launches, could easily differentiate between the two. in fact, she HAD NOT ACTUALLY SEEN the new Vista. When she finally did see one on the road, she was amazed that it was the new Indica.

and as an existing owner of an Indica, the huge improvement in build quality and execution is just plainly out there, staring at you in the face. big step forward.

my only grouch remains the retaining of the Indica badge. i am still of the opinion that it could be been an all-new name as well.
hell_rider is offline   Reply With Quote