Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th March 2011, 12:32   #151
Senior - BHPian

Talking re: Driving "Typos"

LOL! remembering something.

It was late 90's. Enjoying every bit with my Shogun.

We had a huge courtyard filled with river sand. Morning as usual took my Shogun out of outhouse room (dedicated for him) and park in front of front-door steps of our house and had all wiping and cleaning (side stand always on a small rock due to sand) . Had bath, breakfast, dressed up, put the helmet from the room, took the keys, and run towards the bike (office time). My mother was standing at the doors. Get on to the bike, put the key, kick started, turn head left and to Mom "Mummy bye", closed the helmet visor, changed gear, release clutch/accelerated - very next moment I was in the air, flown ahead and landed like in a push-up posture onto the sand. Mummy yelled. I got up after few seconds. Helmet visor was full of sand. Bike was there lying in the left with crash guard and handle submerged in sand. After the initial shock I realized what happened - forgot to unlock the handle lock. I start to laugh like hell. Mummy was scared but was ok after knowing I was ok without a single scratch. I was ok after knowing my bike was ok without a single scratch. Both, thanks to river sand.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 14:31   #152
BHPian

Default re: Driving "Typos"

A long time ago, in 1994, I kick started my Kawasaki 4S, turned to right and, when I tried to turn to the left we simply landed on our butts with bike only inches away from our sprawled legs. Didnt quite understand what happened and received earful of scorns from my friends who were riding pillion. Only after we sat on the bike again did we realized the handle bar was turning to right and not to the left. I realized in a flash what happened... the handle was unlocked by my friend who had a Hero Puch. For that bike one has to turn the lock in reverse once the handle was unlocked. He did the same to the Kawasaki after unlocking and straightening the handle which allowed the handle to turn right but couldnt turn it left after it was straightened.

My bikes ignition switch had a problem - the key wouldnt hold in the lock. So I simply put the ignition switch in "ON" position. I used to switch off the engine by using engine kill switch. Once I casually flipped the kill switch off and went away and came back after 6 hours to find the engine was running in the meantime.

A year ago I was driving a Santro. I wanted to overtake a truck but couldnt as there was another vehicle coming from opposite direction. As I was not too close to the vehicle infront of me and not too much onto the right lane I came back very comfortably into the left lane. I have this habit of tapping on brake a bit early to reduce speed ( which also gives the vehicle behind me an early indication) and also to check the brake is okay. When I did this, the pedal went down and the car went on moving forward without any slowdown. I was suddenly very cautious and repeated the same again ( I was doing about 50 kmph) with same result...the car kept moving without any slowdown. I checked the brake fluid indicator( simultaneously) which didnt report anything. I was then prepared to stop the vehicle using parking brake and downshift when I realized I was depressing clutch pedal instead of brake pedal with my right leg. Even as I use a Bolero and an Indica regularly, I was never confused about anything in any other vehicle.

Last edited by simplyself : 18th March 2011 at 14:50.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 14:36   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Some time in 2005 - in my months old Indica V2 DLX (non-Turbo). Me and a friend of mine are going some place, doing 60 KMPH or so.

The steering is weighing tons, and brake feels heavy too. Even while he is opening the glove box I realize what I did and ask him for the key urgently - and he drops the key in panic, falls somewhere under his seat!

You are fortunate...the steering didnt lock as they usually do when they are turned without a key in the slot.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 16:08   #154
BHPian

A friend of mine (who normally used a Hero Puch) borrowed his dad's Bajaj scooter for a day, since his Puch was giving trouble. He was having a hard time locking the Bajaj scooter. I immediately realised that he was trying to lock the handle by turning it right (like in Puch).

Another friend of mine (who normally used a Fiero) borrowed a friend's Enticer and had a hard time locking it. He desperately came to me for help. I knew what the problem was, but still went down with him only to see the look on his face when I locked the Enticer in one shot by turning the handle towards right.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 09:13   #155
BHPian

This thread reminds me of a funny incident happened to my friend at a time when he had just learned riding and started using bro's bike

He had gone for dinner on his bike (pulsar) and on his return when he tried to start the bike he found the key is not turning into ignition position but he was able to unlock the handle.Having no clue of what happened and as it was around 11 PM he decided to roll the bike to home which was around 2 km from there.

He reached home and after 10 minutes he was surprised to see cops in front of his house.They asked whose bike is this,he said bro's and they asked the registration number.Suddenly he realised the bike isn't his!!

He had brought home the wrong bike and that too a pulsar 180 and his was pulsar 150 which was still at restaurant's parking
crazybiker46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 09:59   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

I rarely sit in any other seat apart from the driver's seat.
Whenever I'm not driving in a car, I look above to look for vehicles coming from behind.
Also when I'm not driving in a car, I press my right foot when the car needs to stop.

Sometimes I forget changing gears from 1st to reverse while parking. Once I had almost hit the car in front like this.

I had the first edition of pulsar and when I took a boxer of my friend I had tried all sorts of methods to start his bike but all went in vain. Then my friend comes and coolly switches on the engine cut off switch and starts the bike

After I upgraded to my punto from my M800, I have handed over my keys to the filling pump attendant to fill the petrol.
Also in my punto after closing the hatch door, i have used to key to lock it but ended up unlocking it again

Best one was an incident once happened with my sister.
We were walking on a street and when we needed to cross the road, she put her right hand out to indicate she would be taking a right turn.

Wipers, turning lights on during day time and keeping lanes in a foreign county are the most common mistakes that has happened with me.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 14:46   #157
BHPian

When I was in college I took a friends bike to run an errand and I knew his bike had a killer switch but still while getting back I was kicking the bike for almost 20mins before I realised about the killer switch being the off position.
av8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 17:19   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cijo View Post
My car was a ford ikon flair 1.3 ...

.... i opened the boot and placed the key in boot ,then lift the big ice box into the boot and closed it .BIngo!!!!
Actually, there is a remedy for this typo. I had to learn it the hard way. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
When I was in college I took a friends bike to run an errand and I knew his bike had a killer switch but still while getting back I was kicking the bike for almost 20mins before I realised about the killer switch being the off position.
The engine killer switch only cuts the spark, which means you still have fuel overflowing through the lines, and this also means another 10 mins of kicking with the switch ON. Again, I learnt this the hard way!
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 19:50   #159
BHPian

Nice Thread!

For me the typo is with the power window switches. I almost always end up operating the rear right window, when I actually need to operate the driver's side one.
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 13:26   #160
BHPian

I remember when my dad was in hospital I used to drive the Mercedes 200D a lot which is an automatic by the way. I have this habit of pressing the accelerator pedal to the floor and then leave it so that it kicks into the next gear. One day I came home and had to go out so took the Amby which was parked outside. I slot it into 1st gear let it till 20kmph and then just left the accelerator so that it slots into second automatically. The car gave me a rude jolt and then I realized I had to upshift on my own. LOL. I was laughing all the way till I reached my destination.
av8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 09:24   #161
Senior - BHPian

This happened to me when I was learning driving. I was driving our M800 with the coach/tutor beside me. We came to a junction where we had to join the main road (narrow 4-lane with divider) by turning right. There was no signal, and there was no-one approaching from my right. So I moved the car forward. There was a bus on the main road going in the same direction as I wanted to turn. He switched to his left lane seeing me approaching (good guy). When I joined the main road, I tried to keep to the right as much as possible so that the bus could pass. All good so far. But then, big bus, newbie driver - I was watching the bus a bit too long and kept on moving to the right until I heard my coach shouting - and then grabbing the steering and trying to turn left. No use - zap - I hit the divider. We ended up with a slightly bent rim and a badly bruised tire. Thankfully, no one was hurt.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 09:35   #162
Senior - BHPian

My wife's friend, who were taking the driving lessons together has a very good reputation of screwing a new Alto. After "learning" to drive, she decided to take her parents a 30 km trip from her home to in-laws place in a brand new Alto. My wife used to say that she was too lazy to shift gears while learning itself and the instructor always used to shout at her for not doing so. And yes, you guessed it right! Went the whole distance of 30 kms in first gear. Apparently her parents were asking her why the car engine sounds so coarse and she said it may be because its a new car! Also she was asked to drive slow since the car was in running in period and she did that by keeping it on first gear all through the trip.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 11:41   #163
BHPian

MY typos as follows: 'Clutching' in an automatic car. Selecting the wrong gear (reverse/first) - happens when i used to drive the cars on my friends farm. Operating the wipers instead of the indicators: with the Ford, Chevvies vs the maruti's.

On two wheels, i almost always used to find find myself in the wrong gear with the earlier all up/all down Bajaj/HH econonmisers. Thank God for the current 1 down/rest up gear change pattern.
Kartik Krishnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 11:50   #164
Senior - BHPian

Whenever I take out a friend's Spark, I invariably hit the wiper instead of the side indicator at least once, despite constantly reminding myself.

When I bought the Splendor after years of using Ind-Suzuki AX 100/KB 100 RTZ/ Shogun, I often used to shift down accidentally to first gear from second, while intending to shift up to third. This was due to the reversal of shift pattern between the bikes. Now after many years of Splendor use, same thing happens if I take out someone's Samurai or Victor. Why can' they have universal shift patterns?
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 12:51   #165
Senior - BHPian

This happened to me 7-8 years back. My friend has Palio 1.6 that time - old model. One day i wanted the car, so i took keys from him & come to parking. I had to reverse the vehicle to get it out from the building. I tried putting car in reverse, but no use. Reverse gear was not getting engaged at all !!! I tried very hard. I even tried lots of power also but in vain. Finally after trying for 10-15 times i went to friend & told him the problem.

At that time he told that he forgot to tell me the trick. Gear stick has one knob which u have to pull up while doing reverse. Once i do that it was immediately done. After that i was laughing on myself for long time remembering how hard i tried to put car in reverse. I would have broke the gear if i would have tried more
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote