Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st March 2011, 13:27   #166
BHPian

Default re: Driving "Typos"

Well, sometimes though rare, my left foot searches for the non-existant clutch pedal in my ANHC-AT. Conversely, in my eight year old palio, my hands sometimes searches for the paddle shifters...

I use the the City one for office commute (a long one, 46-47 km two ways) and the Palio for weekend errands.

-Pratim
pratim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 14:02   #167
Senior - BHPian

I drove a couple of times with the handbrake on. The first time it happened, the owner had engaged the handbrake and I forgot to release it. Result: The rear wheelcap flew away. I stopped after a few metres as I noticed the car wasn't pulling as well as it should have. On checking I found the brakes hot! Just then the owner noticed the missing wheelcap. We then walked back a few metres and the passers-by who had seen it fly away helped us locate it.

The other time I had been driving with my uncle. We made a dinner halt and I engaged the handbrake. After dinner he took the steering. As he was not used to engaging the handbrake and as I forgot to tell him, we drove on like that for a few kilometres before he started complaining about a low pickup. Suspecting a puncture we halted on the shoulder and got down. Upon checking the tyres and the air it dawned on me that I had left the handbrake engaged.

Then there was the time I had been waiting behind an auto on a small road where concretization work was going on. We were waiting for the oncoming traffic to ease up. After it eased up and the vehicle in front of me went ahead, I started revving up the small incline in front of me. The car still slid down backwards, so I gave a little more throttle. Meanwhile a scooter rider behind me started honking at me angrily. I suddenly realized I had engaged reverse and all the while I had been banging against the scooter's front wheel! I shamefully engaged the right gear and slowly drove on, hoping to catch the rider at the next intersection and maybe offer him apologies and some compensation, but he took a turn behind me and disappeared.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 15:38   #168
BHPian

While in Netherlands had taken a friends Polo to work one day, i reach the parking lot of the company and is all poised to reverse into the slot. then i see that i cant get the gear into the reverse position.

Frantically call up my friend asking how to slot into reverse to learn that i have to lift the locking mechanism up and move it next to the extreme left-up. was really funny that i couldnt reverse after i drove almost 55 kms to work.
SanScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 16:34   #169
BHPian

I drive Dzire and use to take my bro's punto occasionally, common Indicator and wiper stick problem kicks up.

I have 2 bikes, a RE Electra [Right shift gear] and Unicorn. Ride it on alternative days to office around 50 kms round the way.

If Electra was my previous days ride and unicorn is today's ride, morning once i take it out i use to lift the brake pedal up in the intention of engaging the first gear. Sometimes i use to search for a neutral finder in unicorn.

If unicorn is my previous days ride and taking Electra today, First thing i do is search for a the self start in Electra [My Electra does not have self start].

All this confusion is only for 5 mins of take off, and then everything becomes handy.

Last edited by BulZire : 21st March 2011 at 16:36.
BulZire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 17:38   #170
BHPian

Jumping from Maruti to ford Ikon, I had initially struggled a bit adjusting to the switches since all are opposite to the other. Now I have settled well with ford switches that whenever I drive some other cars I will accidentally activate the wrong switch.

But that is nothing compare to my Big brother who have been driving a old three geared jeep classic all his life wanted to try my dad's new gypsy (old story). He engaged first gear, pulled out his head looking back to reverse and the gypsy moved forward. His expression was priceless .
For those who may not know what happened. The position of first gear in gypsy = to reverse jeep classic(three gears model).

Another time, I took out my cousin's Palio for a small errand. On the way back, I had to call him asking how to reverse his stupid car . How was I suppose to know Palio has a switch to engage reverse.

Last edited by kaynmantis : 21st March 2011 at 17:39.
kaynmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 18:09   #171
Senior - BHPian

Some of the Driving Typos from my side:

- While riding TVS Scooty trying to lower the gears while reducing speed just as i do while riding my bike
- Riding with the Handbrake on is also one problem i encounter sometimes. I seriously think just like "No Seat Belt" has a sound alarm there should be one audio indication if the car is running with Hand Brake engaged
- Once i was driving when i received a call. I parked at the side and did not turn off the engine. The call went on for a godd 10-15 mins. After the call was done i forgot that the engine is still running and tried to turn the ignition on. It sure gives off one strange sound.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:56   #172
BHPian

When in hurry i always turn on the headlamps while starting the car right in the middle of the day!

Another one was when i accidentally down shifted from 5th to 2nd instead of 5th to 4th! Dad gave me a big *** expression!
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:19   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
- Riding with the Handbrake on is also one problem i encounter sometimes. I seriously think just like "No Seat Belt" has a sound alarm there should be one audio indication if the car is running with Hand Brake engaged
My car dont move if handbrake is engaged. I guess all new cars are like that only. If handbrake is on & you put car in first gear or reverse gear, car will just shake at its place only but not move. This i have experienced few times in my Dzire when handbrake is on. Also it will show me red light in the dashboard indicating handbrake is ON.

I have seen that many people dont apply handbrake properly. They dont push it enough to get it worked. May be that is one of the problems. Also some old cars has poor handbrakes. Like M800, Omni etc where even if you pull handbrake, car will move
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:57   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
My car dont move if handbrake is engaged. I guess all new cars are like that only. If handbrake is on & you put car in first gear or reverse gear, car will just shake at its place only but not move. This i have experienced few times in my Dzire when handbrake is on. Also it will show me red light in the dashboard indicating handbrake is ON.

I have seen that many people dont apply handbrake properly. They dont push it enough to get it worked. May be that is one of the problems. Also some old cars has poor handbrakes. Like M800, Omni etc where even if you pull handbrake, car will move
I would like to believe that my car is relatively new as it is a Vista of May 2009

Yes it does show the indicator on the dashboard. But blame it on the Centre location of the instrument panel of Vista or sometimes haste that i fail to notice it.

And the handbrake works properly because if i engage it on a slope the car does stop rolling. I do feel a difference in acceleration if handbrake is engaged and hence i immediately become aware of it.

I am surprised that the Dzire does not even move with Handbrake on. Thats cool.
Old 22nd March 2011, 19:46   #175
Senior - BHPian

I was driving at night at a fairly decent speed through an isolated stretch of road at night with my family. I caught a glimpse of a pair of headlights approaching perpendicularly at speed, and I instinctively flicked the car to avoid colission, but then saw that there were no headlights. Mom was understandably pissed, but Dad seemed very satisfied. Turned out that there was a mirror at the turn, and I had seen my own reflection. Dad told my mom, Those reflexes - That's why I let him drive. I felt so happy
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 22:03   #176
BHPian

When I just began driving, I was used to the gearshift of the Santro. When I drove my grandpa's Estilo for the first time and tried upshifting from second, there was a huge jerk and loud noise! I had gone down to first at speeds of over 25! Then I realized that you have to put considerable effort to actually move the gearstick. The movement is so much shorter in the Santro.
Recompose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:18   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I would like to believe that my car is relatively new as it is a Vista of May 2009

Yes it does show the indicator on the dashboard. But blame it on the Centre location of the instrument panel of Vista or sometimes haste that i fail to notice it.

And the handbrake works properly because if i engage it on a slope the car does stop rolling. I do feel a difference in acceleration if handbrake is engaged and hence i immediately become aware of it.

I am surprised that the Dzire does not even move with Handbrake on. Thats cool.

Thats strange because I have a 2008 Indigo CS and that also doesnt move when the handbrake is on. When you engage first and release the clutch the back sits down and when you put it into reverse and release the clutch the back lifts up as in the case of other new cars.

I think you should take it up with the service guys when you go the next time considering that the vista is a next gen car compared to the indigo that I own.
av8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 07:33   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
Thats strange because I have a 2008 Indigo CS and that also doesnt move when the handbrake is on. When you engage first and release the clutch the back sits down and when you put it into reverse and release the clutch the back lifts up as in the case of other new cars.

I think you should take it up with the service guys when you go the next time considering that the vista is a next gen car compared to the indigo that I own.
One more addition to the checklist when i go for the next service on 28th March. Surprisingly i am going to check it after all my free services are over

One more typo which i missed earlier. When i am driving the bike or scooty and i turn on the left or right indicator, after making the turn i expect the indicators to turn off automatically.
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:37   #179
Senior - BHPian

When my car was one week old, I had to drive to my hometown, so I opened the bonnet, checked the fluid levels, and tried to close the bonnet without removing the resting arm first. There was not enough light, so I didn't even notice that arm, and when the bonnet did not close, i kept pressing for a while, before realising my mistake. Fortunately, there were no dents on the bonnet. But that arm had bent pretty badly, and I had to get a new one.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:51   #180
Senior - BHPian

i have a enfield c 5 and a std 350. So after 4 years of owning the std 350, when i started riding the C5, I used to change gears when i wanted to slow down

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is online now   Reply With Quote