Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th March 2011, 15:34   #181
BHPian

Default re: Driving "Typos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
i have a enfield c 5 and a std 350. So after 4 years of owning the std 350, when i started riding the C5, I used to change gears when i wanted to slow down

cheers,
ac
I face a similar issue as I drive both a std 350 and a Jawa.

Also, never got comfortable with my Manza's steering mounted controls. On more than a few occasions, have disconnected an incoming phone call (paired up with the car's stereo) even though I wanted to accept it
ashw_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 18:10   #182
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Another one was when i accidentally down shifted from 5th to 2nd instead of 5th to 4th!
You got away lucky! Mechanical over-revving can destroy your engine : Link to related thread (All you enthusiastic drivers - DONT OVER-REVV). The electronic revv-limiter will do nothing to protect your engine in this scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Turned out that there was a mirror at the turn, and I had seen my own reflection.
Reminds me of driving through the Army Camp area in Deolali (small town in MH). I'm just entering a junction and see this car in my peripheral vision, just inches away and headed in my direction fast; instinctively, I slammed on the brakes...tyres locking et al. Looked to where the car should have been, and realised it's a giant mirror showing me my own reflection! Relieved and embarrassed at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynmantis View Post
He engaged first gear, pulled out his head looking back to reverse and the gypsy moved forward. His expression was priceless
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 10:09   #183
Awaiting Email Confirmation

This is the driving 'typo' which will remain ever-green in my memory: more than three decades back, when I was studying in the engineering college, we had a Lambretta scooter, wherein we got a secret switch [aka electrical circuit breaker] installed below the rider's seat. The scooter won't start if it was switched off. I and my friend went from Madras to Kancheepuram on this scooter. After parking it in my grandparents' home where we had stayed for the night, I promptly switched off the circuit breaker.

The next day, I completely forgot to switch on the secret switch and tried to start the scooter in vain. Then, all others tried, again, in vain. I cleaned the spark plug. Again, the scooter 'refused' to start! Finally, a neighbourhood scooter mechanic was called in, who found out the secret switch after inspection! The rest, as they say, was a history, we started our journey back to Madras!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 30th March 2011 at 10:13.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 10:39   #184
Senior - BHPian

Last year when i went to Delhi, i had an old M800 to drive around. I lost count of the number of times i tried to put it into 5th gear on the Delhi - Gurgaon expressway!!

EDIT: Remembered another one. An uncle of mine had a Bajaj scooter. One day he borrowed his daughter's Kinetic Honda. He got the fright of his life when no matter how much he stomped his foot, the bike won't slow down!!

Last edited by amitoj : 30th March 2011 at 10:44.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 10:49   #185
Senior - BHPian

Usual typos I make, entering Polo after few day (used to cedia), look for round cedia knob for seat adjustment rather than pull lever in polo.
Try switch on head lamps in Polo in normal japanese car fashion.
Look for OVRM adjustent switch.
Try engaging reverse at the back.
switch on wipers insead of indicators and vice versa.
Search for dead pedal all the time (this is bad)

And the worst one, lock brakes while driving hard in polo after being used to ABS in cedia (man I almost had a close escape the other day). The 800 doesnt have brake booster, so the wheels dont lock until you press real hard, plus having driven it in every what way, I dont really have problem driving it anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Last year when i went to Delhi, i had an old M800 to drive around. I lost count of the number of times i tried to put it into 5th gear on the Delhi - Gurgaon expressway!!
Used to happen to me all the time, when I used to drive any 4 speed 800 after driving our 5 Speed.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 30th March 2011 at 10:53.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 11:24   #186
Senior - BHPian

Couple of oil smell stories:
My brother used to have an air-force disposal bullet 350.
I had learnt how to ride on his bullet and his rx100, so was comfortable with the gears et al.
once i took the car to college, and a couple of my friends asked to let them ride it.
I said ok, off they went and came back about 20 minutes later.
So as i am approaching the bike, and am about 4-5 feet away, i get this intense blast of heat from the general direction of the engine, and closer still, i see a dark coating on the engine block.
oil.
I screamed my head off at those guys, that what the hell did you do?
"we went ouside in 1st gear, but then we couldnt change gears, so we took the whole round in 1st only.we forgot the gears were on the other side."
"how much did you hit?"
"30-40 constant!"
they didnt get the bike again, and unfortunately, neither did i.

Another time, i had just started watching races, any racing, on telly.
Had DD only, and watched whatever it was kind enough to provide.
And heard a lot about "he's downshifted, and overtakes as the revs catch up, and he zooms away!!"
so one time, i was in my trusty 800(2nd gen), and was doing about 70-75 on the ringroad, in front of AIIMS, and there's a bus in front of me, approximately similar.
"and he downshifts, from 4th to 3rd, in 80 kmph........"
and the car went,"oh you gotta be kidding me".
it was like i hit brick wall!!!
oil all over inside the engine bay!
thankfully maruti repairs were easy, but i had to pay out of my pocket money, which as always, was meagre...

Last edited by mayankk : 30th March 2011 at 11:26. Reason: typing typos :)
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 12:01   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
+1. I think that's one of the most common typo's occurring to people who drive the 800 after a break.

Even I, have lost count.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 12:17   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynmantis View Post
But that is nothing compare to my Big brother who have been driving a old three geared jeep classic all his life wanted to try my dad's new gypsy (old story). He engaged first gear, pulled out his head looking back to reverse and the gypsy moved forward. His expression was priceless .
For those who may not know what happened. The position of first gear in gypsy = to reverse jeep classic(three gears model).
Something similar happened to a friend of mine when we were in US for a short trip. He had rented a car, an automatic as usual in the states. At a signal it turned red, he ended up stopping a bit ahead of the line, so he put the transmission to R and reversed the car to get back in line. He forgot to put the transmission back to D. When the signal turned green he wanted to take off really fast, pushed the throttle hard and ended up going fast in reverse. Luckily there was no one close enough.

(To my friend, if you are reading this, my apologies to you for writing this without your permission, but i am sure we can laugh it off when we look back at it now)
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 09:50   #189
BHPian

I think I have done all of these typos once in a while, you name it and I have done it, except Helmet related ones. Getting in the wrong lane (twice when I was in US), driving an automatic with one foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator, looking for the rear view mirror on my left when I am actually in the passenger seat, trying to put a 4 gear car into a 5th (Maruti 800), confusing the indicator stalks between my Scorpio and Figo, opening the rear right window when actually I intend to open the driver's, Enfield 350 gears being pressed when I intend to stop, ducking when passing a low under pass in a car and many more. Hope I could have added something new here but I think all have been covered already

And that bring to my mind the confusion of adjusting ORVM, manual vs the electric kind, The Figo ones are most natural but the rest (City, Micra etc) makes me search for buttons. Also, I find adjusting manual ones to be faster specially when you need to make a quick flick down while reversing and watching the rear gap.
gharika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 20:02   #190
BHPian

Default Re: wackiest and nostalgic memories

Yeah, This will be really interesting!

But I guess there is already one thread like this. Let me locate it and post here!
muditgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 16:02   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: wackiest and nostalgic memories

I think http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ing-typos.html (Driving "Typos") is what you are looking for.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 16:46   #192
Team-BHP Support

This is one funny thread- no idea how I missed it!

I have a Swift Vxi and Vento AT. Apart from the obvious wiper/ligts switcheroo (which everyone here seems to have recounted, so let me skip that), there is one very interesting side effect of going from automatic to stick shift. Since I drove a stick for close on 20 years, I don't really have a problem readjusting, but the funny thing is sometimes when I am cruising and approach a roundabout or turn that requires slowing down, I forget that I need to depress the clutch and downshift . The first time this happened in my Swift, I got such a withering look from the spouse that it is seared into my memory forever!

I am also terrible with my wife's scooterette. The Flyte has a key position that has to be slotted perfectly and I almost always end up opening the fuel lid when trying to start the machine! Most embarrassing, I tell ya!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:35   #193
Senior - BHPian

Another one from one of my colleagues some time back, we had gone on a team outing to a resort at Bannerghatta road Blr. By evening every one was drunk or exhausted by all the activities (paintball included) or both and slowly heading home. Another colleague (non drinker) offered to drive a Swift ZXi on behalf of the owner (drunk) and took to the wheels. He released the hand brake and lo the car started rolling (as it was on an incline). Banging brakes had no affect and somehow got it to standstill with the hand brake.

It was declared that there was a brake failure in the brand new car and the owner lost all his high (drink) hearing this. They even called the Maruti helpline to realize later that it was actually the power brakes that would work only on the turn of the ignition!
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:01   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
They even called the Maruti helpline to realize later that it was actually the power brakes that would work only on the turn of the ignition!
I faced this issue many times on inclines and during parking when the vehicle stalls. Luckily, no vehicle around and no damage done. Best solution that worked for me is handbrake in such cases. But I always wonder why is it the case with Swift Brakes.
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:55   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Another one from one of my colleagues some time back, we had gone on a team outing to a resort at Bannerghatta road Blr. By evening every one was drunk or exhausted by all the activities (paintball included) or both and slowly heading home. Another colleague (non drinker) offered to drive a Swift ZXi on behalf of the owner (drunk) and took to the wheels. He released the hand brake and lo the car started rolling (as it was on an incline). Banging brakes had no affect and somehow got it to standstill with the hand brake.

It was declared that there was a brake failure in the brand new car and the owner lost all his high (drink) hearing this. They even called the Maruti helpline to realize later that it was actually the power brakes that would work only on the turn of the ignition!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
I faced this issue many times on inclines and during parking when the vehicle stalls. Luckily, no vehicle around and no damage done. Best solution that worked for me is handbrake in such cases. But I always wonder why is it the case with Swift Brakes.
Its not with swift,its with all new cars,due to the hydraulic brakes.
Once,in my Bolero,alternator belt broke,and what looked like a brake failure to me,turned out to be a broken belt,brakes would still work,albeit with a lot of force.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote