Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st December 2008, 22:02   #106
BHPian

During my initial days in US, I used to head straight for the drivers seat when somebody offered me a lift while leaving office. Took some time to get used to Left hand drive.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 22:20   #107
Senior - BHPian

I try to search for the 6th gear in My Honda City when i am at a good speed of 120+
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 22:23   #108
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I try to search for the 6th gear in My Honda City when i am at a good speed of 120+
yes! happens in a few cars which don't have a very free flowing overdrive.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 09:12   #109
Senior - BHPian

This has happened to me quite a few times. Sometimes, after lot of city driving on a day, I feel like honking even when I walk! E.g. I park my car somewhere and go shopping. Suddenly an auto guy comes in my way. Or some bike guy rides on the footpath. I try to find the horn switch!!!

OT: I have this habit of honking mercilessly at the auto rickshaw guys. They are such idiots. You can expect any kind of driving from them.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 09:31   #110
BHPian

If I am not driving and I need to look at the back, I try to see that in inside rear view mirror that too on my upper left.
mukeshgoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:39   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
another fluke. has happened 3-4 times. I reach the massive car parking (walmart etc). slowly get into a slot. apply brakes, keep an eye on the car on my side to align to correct distance, and then, the car just doesn't stop, i frantically keep pressing the pedal and it just doesn't stop. and then i look at the other side and I am stopped.
Happened with me several times and I completely agree with you.....it scared the hell out of me
kooldudedelhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 17:40   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting back into the car, where my wife was waiting for me, only to find that it was the wrong woman and the wrong car!

(which is a bit like that thing that many of us did when we were about three years old: finding that the coat we are hanging onto is not our mother's coat!)

(Or, err, being in the garden with the gardener, his wife and my wife, taking a step backwards while putting my arm around my wife --- only to find it was the wrong wife!)

Err... I guess that doesn't have a lot to do with cars...

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd December 2008 at 17:42.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 18:14   #113
BHPian

Funny thread!

1) Fuel lid mix up when I took dad's wagonR to fuel station for the first time and opened the hood. The attendant promptly opened the bonnet thinking I wanted to top up engine oil.
2) I had this habit of keeping my house keys in my bag. Couple of times it so happened that I left my bag inside the car AND car locked with the key inside.
3) Sometimes when I am in the middle of traffic at a busy junction having multiple exits, I have felt the need for having an indicator for going straight
4) Slotting to reverse while trying to engage 4th, only to hear a crackling sound
5) Searching the wrong side for seat belts when sitting in passenger seat

and a reverse typo:
I was in sitting inside the car at a parking lot, waiting for someone. Then a middle aged man comes and tries to open the door with his keys. When I lowered the windows, the confused/shocked look on his face was worth seeing

Last edited by SilentEngine : 2nd December 2008 at 18:21.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:28   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Then a middle aged man comes and tries to open the door with his keys.
That could so easily have been me!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 11:13   #115
BHPian

Default Hyundai Reverse Grrr!!

With current portfolio (Car) overhaul I have two hyundai cars in my garage. Since I drive Embera most of the time got in habbit of slotting reverse on the extreme left past the first gear. Now it just confuses me in Getz as is it 6th gear , ist it reverse, no wait oops!!
I have lost my auto pilot while taking my cars out of tight spot. I have to remind myself of the car I am driving and keep repeting where the reverse is
rohitrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 13:53   #116
BHPian

one more from me, at times you forget on which side the fuel lid is, and you take your car tothe wrong side of the fuel pump
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:05   #117
BHPian

My driving typos -
Confusion with turn indicator and Wiper stalks when switching between Matiz and SX4.
Trying to start the car with the engine already running, I've done this many times and each time I tell myself to look at the tacho before cranking.
gt_bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:09   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_bhp View Post
My driving typos -
Confusion with turn indicator and Wiper stalks when switching between Matiz and SX4.
Trying to start the car with the engine already running, I've done this many times and each time I tell myself to look at the tacho before cranking.
Same thing used to happen to me whenever I switched over to dad's maruti after driving my Ford. Now thankfully he got a ford too but now he faces the same issue
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 22:33   #119
Senior - BHPian

Hi, For me it is a different experience.

When ever i take dads bullet and my passion, i have the break and gear interchange problem.But most of the time it is only the passion which get the rough treatment from me..after all the good old bullet is 27years old now.!!

Secondly i had a indica DLS so i got used to manual windows,now that i got a swift VDI i still search for the manual lever to put down the window
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 10:54   #120
BHPian

you lock the car from inside, and when you stop and park your car, you try to come out without unlocking the car

and the biggest typo or mistake you make, you leave car key inside and the car gets auto locked
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote