Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th April 2012, 10:22   #76
Default Re: India tops global list of deaths in road accidents

My two pieces on the subject.. having moved to Delhi just about three years ago.. the raods here felt amazing, never ever and no other part of india has such wide roads.. but .. but there is a huge under current of agression, lack of patience... my car is bigger than your car and a scratch on my car is nothing but an extreme extreme insult the kind that deserves that i get down and beat you into pulp.

Each day there is news of a drunk driver killing self and innocent someone else, but no cops near where the pubs are.. and just for kicks for the rest of the nation, people here take great pride in turning their cars into bars... families are not open enough to let these men drink at home so they buy their whisky and soda and risk the lives of every one else.

And the licensing is to lax, getting a license to drive is by far the easiest thing to do.. God help Delhi..
sabnavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 11:01   #77

Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Agree with most of the posts here.
In addition to overall discipline, IMO one of the key factors contributing to the fatalities is the sheer diversity of vehicles using our roads. From a bullock cart to a Bentley, all of them use the same tarmac. Nowhere else in the world will you see such diversity. Accidents are bound to happen when vehicles of varying speed use the same road.
Exactly one of the main reason why a lot of accidents happen on Indian roads. This has infact worsened after the expansion of Highways without proper service lanes for slow moving traffic. I used to do regularly from Pune to Bhor on Nh4, we had close shaves close to 4 times in a span of 5 months following the speed limits. Add to this vehicles coming from opposite direction to save fuel. I see Multi axle trucks also doing this .

We need to increase the awareness to tackle this drastic scenario
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 21:20   #78

What's so surprising in India topping the world's list of fatalities and accidents? We are good at topping all the unwanted lists anyway. As is we like to drive as if its our own father's roads, same case with idiotic road crossing morons and pedestrians. Honestly a street dog has better road sense than most of the Indian pedestrians. Unless as a nation we stop thinking 'I, me, myself' always, we shall continue to be world toppers in this area.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 21:51   #79

the reason is most Indian state govt and cops just look at solving present problem of traffic and chaos not like the west where they implement something that would be useful in future, for example slow traffic on Indian roads should be on left. However, its on right most of the times. Slow CNG autos cause chaos and slow traffic, cycle rickshaw on the same roads as cars and also regular autos are a menace. Regular autos should be moved to Nano's or Iris so that they are in same league as slow cars on roads and improve public transport like buses (based on status quo for AC and Non AC prices). Also pedestrian crossing signals, i see them a lot now but people are least aware of them also there is button to activate or deactivate these. Also a reform in educations system on respect to individual and knowledge of signs even for pedestrians, i see so many pedestrians crossing expressways, flyovers (munirka flyover is the best example) on daily basis because they know if i get hit 'carwala phasega'
Mindgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote