Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd September 2005, 21:43   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I really would not put that much emphasis on BSMotorings "stop watch" times.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 23:18   #47
Senior - BHPian

Well there safari Dicor test says that 0 - 100 in 19 secs but ACI states some 18.8x something. But the real time maybe just some what here and there and still t will whip an Accord with ease and also Indias first called So sports car Octavia RS ( so cramped)
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2005, 09:29   #48
Team-BHP Support

At 13.69 its a bargain. Definately more value than RS in terms of spare parts costs and interior space.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2005, 13:15   #49
Team-BHP Support

C'mon guys, don't be soooo typically Indian here!! Just because they have similar price tags does not make them direct competitors! A person looking for a fast sporty car would NEVER consider the Sonata. Likewise a person looking for a large comfortable sedan would probably not consider the RS.

To take an extreme example, a S55 AMG may accelerate as fast as a 911, but they are at opposite ends of the market.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2005, 23:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

BTW here is what i have to say about this.

All those rich kids with Skoda Octavia RS toys beware this Hyundai, driven by a grandfather, may just humble you at the signal light.

So just beware..
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2005, 01:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

Apparently the Hyundai Sonata really impressed Haney Louka from Canadian driver. If Indian's can look beyond the Hyundai name, this Sonata may well take the fight to the all mightly Honda Accord.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2005, 02:16   #52
BHPian

Imho... this is one lovely car! i test drove one a couple of days back, and was blown outta my mind! awesome handing, power, ride quality, and everything else about the car is AWESOME! interior space is the maximum! With the front seats taken back to the max, the rear passenger still has good legspace! except the dash layout i just loved everything about this car! the dashboard is good, but cant say it to be excellent!

I am just waitint for the day they launch the CRDi version, and i will probably be the first one to grab it off!

My driving habits arnt delicate! i dont give a damn how much the car costed me and how expensive the spare parts are, while i am driving around! mite! after all its just a car, not ur wife! u cant afford to get nervous everytime someone passes by u very closely! so yea, maintainence becomes too high for me with the Accord, coz with that, i would have to be more careful! rather, i would go for the Sonata! its spareparts are quiet cheaper compared to the Honda's! and well, i can just drive it around without getting nervous driving around, or angry when someone does hit it!
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2005, 02:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
C'mon guys, don't be soooo typically Indian here!! Just because they have similar price tags does not make them direct competitors! A person looking for a fast sporty car would NEVER consider the Sonata.
You might just have to eat those words soon, judging by the terrific reviews the car has been getting so far.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2005, 02:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Sonata is in a different segment but if it gives a better performance figure at the same price I doubt why some1 will buy a RS. Except for the sporty add-ons and that hyundai brand name which turns many off.

It is still a very capable performer. That theta engine tears every road off.

I have seen then here in canada and they look well built and futuristic but I hate the rear that is even worse than the accord.(I somehow like the accords rear)

It shouts in each details " come Honda come, Let me pound you down."

Last edited by devarshi84 : 13th October 2005 at 02:47.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2005, 10:10   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
You might just have to eat those words soon, judging by the terrific reviews the car has been getting so far.
Naaah. I don't think so.
Old 13th October 2005, 10:58   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Naaah. I don't think so.
Test drive one - with an open mind.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2005, 11:24   #57
Team-BHP Support

Don't get me wrong Steeroid, I have nothing against the Sonata. It's just that I don't see it sharing the same customer as a prospective RS owner. Sure, there will always be exceptions, but generally speaking, someone on the lookout for an RS will never even consider the Sonata. Or the Accord IMO. Straight line speed is not all that matters. OD's track test showed that.

Compare the Sonata with the Accord or Camry. Large, comfy, family cars.

Plus, with the launch of the facelifted Accord not too far off, the Sonanta would soon look like an old gen Accord, and that will not go down too well with the buying public in that class.

P.s. Any idea what the OTR price of the Sonata is, after any discounts etc? That will be the deciding factor for sales success in India.
Old 14th October 2005, 06:20   #58
Senior - BHPian

The facelifted accord is nothin of a innovation. Sonata is still competition. Just had a look at the new car yesterday.

Yes the customer segments may differ for a RS but both are entering each others territories. WHIle RS is more like a boyracer aging from 21-30. Sonata is for people from 25 and above. I dont see a young boyracer like me driving a sonata but I surely see it as a better car.

Sonata manual is costing 14.3 Ex showroom AHmedabad. Automatic goes to 15. ANd sonata to me looks like a better looking accord.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 06:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

the facelifted accord is no biggie thats for sure ...
sonata should blow the 2.4 Accord in terms of performance and economy ...
CRDI embera is not expected anytime soon ...
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 23:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

Whatcar.com is not impressed at all with the new Sonata. On road behavior gets the car just 2/5 stars and ownership expereince is rated on 3/5. The suspension they say is tuned for ride over handling, which means it's going to be a typically wobbly hyundai. Check out the video road test here.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote