Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th November 2005, 18:40   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
November 2005 issue of Top Gear India has a shootoot between the Mondeo, Sonata, and Accord.

1st: Accord
2nd: Mondeo
3rd: Sonanta
still Mondeo doesnt sell good as its competitors. And everyone forgot about teh Vectra? what happened to it?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2005, 00:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

Ford Goofed up when they introduced the mondeo for 16lakhs.

Now they priced it well but they removed those features that gave it the image of "FORD MONDEO". Now its just some ford monedo.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2005, 11:41   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
oye, we just had the esteems and zens and the 800s before hyundai landed here. Hyundai showed them what quality was and is and will ( see teh US surveys). The santro we haev now is the 3rd version or so. what abt the zen? still the old b#m.
Please read what I posted... Not once did I compare Maruti Udyog or any other car manufacturer in India when I said that the Indian Sonata Embera is stripped down to the maximum. You speak of US surveys, so, are you trying to say I am right?? This is exactly what my problem with the Indian Sonata Embera is... The ones sold elsewhere get a load of added features. Also, if you read my posts in a "careful" manner, you will realise that I have said all the Indian versions of ALL cars are stripped down. I have even said that the Toyota Camry in India has no audio controls on the steering even though there is a provision for the same there with the buttons missing.

My friend, neither are you an advocate for Hyundai and nor am I asking for justice for myself/ do I have anything against just Hyundai... I just want "US" Indians to get at least 50% of the goodies the rest of the world gets, that's all. With this, I rest my case.
MrBoombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2005, 21:53   #79
Senior - BHPian

Kiplinger's Financial magazine in it's December 2005 issue gave "best new car" and "best in class" accolades to the new Hyundai Sonata.
To quote from the report:

Quote:
It has classy good looks and is surprisingly refined for around $20,000. It also has the most standard safety features in its category.
Good going for Hyundai but from what I understand, Hyundai has stripped the Sonata off almost all the "most standard safety features in it's segment" for the Indian version isn't it?
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 10:09   #80
Team-BHP Support

I think the fact that one hardly gets to see the Emberra on the road is testament to the fact that at even Rs.1 lakh less, Hyundai will always have a hard time swimming in Honda's pool.

Last edited by Rtech : 21st November 2005 at 10:12.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 09:46   #81
Team-BHP Support

So, more than 1 year after this thread was started, I think we can conclude that the Sonata Embera has been anything but a success in India.

No matter how much people will argue, above a certain price, the badge does matter.
Old 19th July 2006, 10:12   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No matter how much people will argue, above a certain price, the badge does matter.
It has to. People who buy cars at this level are looking for more than VFM.

The latest Top Gear epi stressed on the same topic. They tested the Mondeo ST220, Mazda 6 and the Opel/Vauxhall Vectra.

They're all good cars with mind blowing performance and yet, Mazda sold lesser "6s" last year, than Aston sold "DB9s".

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 20:03   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Maybe its time for Hyundai to create a new brand just like Lexus and Infinity. I hear they are working on a V8 RWD luxury car which will be their new flagship.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 10:09   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Maybe its time for Hyundai to create a new brand just like Lexus and Infinity.
Spot on! Hyundai today is synonymous with the word "cheap". Try as they may, its going to be an uphill struggle to break that. Creating a new brand with a more European sounding name may do the trick.
Old 20th July 2006, 13:28   #85
BHPian

Default Hyundai's positioning problem

Repeatedly, what Hyundai has done - especially at the higher end models is to introduce it at a certiain price bracket and within a year or so drop the price dramatically.. What that leaves behind is a distaste in people's mind (especially in the higher end bracket). They did that starting with the accent, then the elantra and the sonata.. So someone who has bought a sonata for 16-18L wants to be in the company of people who can afford that bracket.. All of a sudden the car price drops to 12L bracket and a whole new crop of people buy it and the "snob" value degenerates.. The mercs, Honda accord, the camry, bmw's have retained a certain brand value by keeping it within reach of a certain section of society which becomes smaller and smaller as the price bracket goes up.. The Suzuki's, Hyundai's have to learn how to build snob brand value.. Some such as Toyota & Honda create new brands such as Lexus, Infinity etc. to distance the high end products away from mass market brands..Very few brands have been successful in retaining a single brand from being a VFM at one end to a premium on the other.. Hyundai & Suzuki are considered as VFM brands and NOT premium brands.. Mercedes A/C/E/S/M series vehicles are ALL premium brands and priced accordingly in each of the market segments. They do not price one a VFM and another at Premium..
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 15:35   #86
BHPian

Well this is my contribution. A real world test drive for Hyundai Sonata which may put the Accord hiding somewhere.

Source: http://www.ask.autoblog.com/2006/07/...on-the-system/

A man accused of driving at speeds up to 147 mph is about to get his day in court -- and many are looking at the case to challenge the freeway photo enforcement program in Scottsdale, Ariz. Lawrence Pargo of Goodyear was supposedly running late for work and was caught by speeding cameras on Loop 101 going 102, 105, 128 and 147 mph between 5:47 and 6:20 a.m. The city of Scottsdale and its speeding camera vendor, Redflex Traffic Systems, both say that the readings were accurate; however, an unmodified Sonata is speed limited in accordance with federal regulations to 137 mph. If found guilty, Pargo could face jail time and get his license suspended.
Steve Spence, managing editor of Car and Driver magazine, said that the cameras were likely wrong -- the Hyundai Sonata, he said, topped out at 137 in a test drive for the magazine. And for those who think Pargo may have modified his Hyundai to reach speeds higher than intended, the car wasn't even his, it was a rental.

[Source: East Valley Tribune]
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 16:03   #87
Team-BHP Support

What point are you trying to make with that post adarsh? It has zero relevance to this subject.
Old 20th July 2006, 17:15   #88
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Sonata may not be doing that well in India, but it is selling exceptionally well in the States! I saw a phenomenal number of 2006 Sonatas on the east coast, especially in NY.

Asian automakers fared better in December, in part because they didn't offer employee-discounts over the summer. Toyota's December sales were up 8 percent, while Hyundai's were up nearly 16 percent as customers snapped up the 2006 Sonata.

Source : CBS

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 17:28   #89
Team-BHP Support

This is not just true for east coast. Bay area has a large population of desis and asians. For these people their first car is either a corolla/civic or Accord/camry depending on their income levels. These are the strongest customers of the japanese. When these people come in 35000$ car bracket they go and buy acura/infinity.
Now these people are buying sonatas. These never chose the elantra in the corolla/civic class, they bought ultima's and sentras for nissan but never hyundai, but the the embera V6, the are lapping it up. Hyundai is offering discounts no doubt but then over here on holiday weekend everbody gives discounts, with american car makers giving outrageous discounts. Imagine a 4000$ cash discount on a 15000$ car!
But its the sonata which is being lapped up.
There is no reason it shouldnt be
I spent 600 miles travelling in one, and it was so comfortable, so poised at high speeds, with adequate comfort and legroom in the back seat for me too(I am 6'2").
This is a very good car.
Reliable too, infact the warranties are unmatched. Only a carmaker which gives a reliable car can dare to give a 10 year/100000 miles powertrain warranty. Such kind of reliability is unheard of in american cars, it was the forte of japanese only, and now hyundai joins the club
JD Power results prove that. Hyundai's are no 3 in the reliablity section, ahead of the Europeans, and thats a great achievement for a manufacturer, which until recently made cars which automatically made you a pizza delivery guy(There are tonnes of jokes on internet which say Accent drivers are pizza delivery guys).
In India sonata is not picking up that well, but its only a matter of time people get over their hung upness with japanese.
Hyundai accent was the midsize king for a long time, and verna will be when it is launched.
I have a feeling that if 2007 elantra comes at the same price as now it will be a killer too.
Slowly luxury segment will be theirs too. VFM is too good to resist, and by making the decision that the global small car manufacturing hub is going to be India, they are only strengthning their opinion.
10 years ago the only thing an american would want to do with a japanese car would be to burn them, but now they buy accords.
5 years from now people are going to rate hyundai at the same level as honda and toyota.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 17:42   #90
Team-BHP Support

Thing is, in the US, the Sonata is not selling itself as a luxury car. In India, it's meant to be a luxury car.