I bought a car recently (3 months) 41 17.30%
I am going to buy a car in the near future (3 months) 37 15.61%
I have decided not to buy a car for now 92 38.82%
It makes no difference to me 48 20.25%
I will now buy a more economic car. 19 8.02%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th October 2008, 13:16   #76
Senior - BHPian

Option 3. Dropped the plan till something becomes certain. I had invested most of my car (down payment) money in stocks and they have now shrunk by about 35%. Maybe it's time to wait for the "V" model of Honda City.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 14:31   #77
BHPian

Option 3.

Had planned to get a new set of wheels by Diwali.

However, the uncertainty all around regarding jobs, payouts etc have made me reluctantly postpone plans.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 14:42   #78
BHPian

Hello Team-BHP,

This one is my first post in the forum, but I never though it would be like this....

Considering the ewconomical situations I would like to go for Option 3. I had planned for another car, but now postponding this idea.

Hope to see good times soon and will be back for advice from the GURUS soon.
-Pradip.

Last edited by GTO : 18th October 2008 at 16:35. Reason: No more than 2 smilies per post please.
pradipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 09:33   #79
Senior - BHPian

Financing companies have started reducing loan disbursal. If this article is to be believed, even sanctioned loans are not getting disbursed.

Car loan? Forget this festive season-Quickies -Features-The Economic Times

Hopefully this phase will be over in a few months.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 10:04   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Its time to go back to the basics & invest in agriculture - you'll be surprised at how much land you can buy for the cost of a good car. This is my personal view.
Steeroid, I don't think anyone is buying a car as an investment. So this is not really the point in this thread.

From the posts here it appears to be a matter of either not wanting to splay out the money because you are not sure that the same is spare (in other words, you might need it for "food") or not being sure of being able to pay off the loan for the car.
Either way it's more a crisis of confidence. Whether there will be less cash in your pocket, and the effects of all the drop in spending will be felt six months to nine months from now.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 19:36   #81
BHPian

Like all things in life, one needs to have priorities. I already have 3 cars in perfect working condition and could , therefore did, postpone my car buying decision.

I was considering a new car just for the sake of a change ( My oldest car being 7 years old , even though its working perfectly and doesnt ever go to the garage , OHC Automatic). But in the present world economic scenario, its best for me not to go in for another car. There is way too much uncertainty.
His Highness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 22:14   #82
BHPian

With the RBI dropping repo rates by 100 points today, won't it make getting car loans easier again and also probably drop the rates
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 03:31   #83
BHPian

I got my Fiesta 1.6 Sxi in Jan 2008. The hike in petrol cost has surely made me think to buy a diesel car. Heart says sedan but brain says a hatch back. Waiting for the launch of Linea. Will surely get a diesel car sometime in 2009.
Torque123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 04:19   #84
BHPian

since i wasnt planning i go for option no. 4; A little OT but i wonder why althought the prices of crude have dropped from a whopping 140 to 74 a pop the local fuel prices havent moved a bit
Ali G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 21:46   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali G View Post
since i wasnt planning i go for option no. 4; A little OT but i wonder why althought the prices of crude have dropped from a whopping 140 to 74 a pop the local fuel prices havent moved a bit
Again OT : When the rates were 140 for crude the exchange rates were in the range of 40Rs to a $ and now although the crude rates have come down to the 65-70 levels, the $ rate has climbed to 49Rs.
But, there is a news item in ET that says that there could be a price cut in the coming weeks.
uday.ere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 18:42   #86
BHPian

Well yes, being self employed, I guess this slump is not going to make much of a difference to me.
Had planned to buy a Safari 2.2 VTT but scared about the differential pricing policy for Diesel.
(My debut post)...
sugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 22:31   #87
BHPian

@ Sugam

AFAIK,. the differential pricing (which the Union Oil Ministry is mulling over) concerns industrial users only, retail consumers will continue to get diesel at a subsidized rate.
4strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 23:22   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4strings View Post
@ Sugam
AFAIK,. the differential pricing (which the Union Oil Ministry is mulling over) concerns industrial users only, retail consumers will continue to get diesel at a subsidized rate.
They were also mulling the idea of differential pricing in city also for diesel. If it gets going, all bunks in City (not sure if it is only metros) will charge non-subsidized rates.

Last edited by Path_Finder : 8th November 2008 at 23:23. Reason: spelling
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 22:04   #89
BHPian

I've been discussing this with my colleagues. I can clearly see a growing fear about job security - most folks don't even want to think of a company leased car or a car loan now. Needless to say, no one wants to risk shelling down their savings to buy a car.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 15:15   #90
Team-BHP Support

Has the slump in the economy influenced your car purchase decision?

My proxy is US based and this US advt comes courtesy that:
Has the slump in the economy influenced your car purchase decision?-untitled.jpg
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote