Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th October 2008, 13:47   #1
BHPian

Default Demand for Old Zen

I have a 2004 Maruti Zen that I have put on the block on numerous websites, including TBHP. However to my utter dismay there have been almost no inquiries at all, let alone a sale.
My queries are:
Is this a case of ppl losing interest in buying the car or a case of Supply exceeding the Demand. I have seen quite a few ppl who have put their Zen for sale.
Am I the only one facing this problem or this is being faced in general by others also?
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 13:55   #2
BHPian

Hey Maverick,

I have a 2004 Zen too besides my new Palio Stile SDX. Though, initially I was planning to sell it off, now I'm not. Some of the reasons I think why Zen is not much in demand:
  • Outdated model, no longer in production.
  • Not too much bigger than Alto, which is the entry-level car. Also, very small boot.
  • Usually, asking price for Zen is high because it is considered a premium hatch. People scouting for second-hand cars end up buying Santros and Indicas instead, which are bigger and at least appear as more VFM.
  • Zen is a very mod-friendly car. Only serious modders or those who'd choose performance over style, space and VFM would buy a second-hand Zen.
IMO, in addition to the above reasons, only a very low asking price will facilitate the sale.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
DueLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:00   #3
BHPian

I agree with Dueller. I think people who buy second hand zens do so for performance. But a majority of people who buy second hand cars, want more VFM and end up buying other models which are bigger and have more space.

I think what I would do to sell the car, is to drive around town and visit atleast 5-6 dealers, including maruti true value and try and get a quote from them. If they ask for 10k to 20k less than my expectations, and i am having difficulty selling the car - I would seal the deal.

Another alternate is, if i am upgrading the car, to say, a Verna... I would ask hyundai to buy my car and they might give a little more money in anticipating of a new car sale.

Exchanging with Maruti itself is a good option, if you are planning an upgrade
ak916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:09   #4
BANNED

I also own 2003 end Zen and its in demand, Your must be not getting enquiries as your’s is LX model ( non Power window and Steering ) by d way what price you are expecting and what are the details ?
nicejits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:23   #5
BHPian

NJ - Its a Nov 2004 model, new shape. No power steering, but I have fitted after market power windows in the front. Running is very low (22,300 km) as it is mostly used for our evening outings and weekend travels only. I had visited carwale.com and the price reflected was 206,000 for a car in excellent condition, thus I have put a price of 200,000, which to some extent is negotiable. The pics in the ad speak for themselves. I have taken them last Saturday only.
I would love to retain this car, but my prob is that I am the only one who drives in my family and I would hate to see this car rot standing in one place.
Guys whats the price I should expect? If I am getting a dismal price, I might as well not change. I just wish Maruti had made this car slightly bigger. This thread would not even have existed.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
NJ - Its a Nov 2004 model, new shape. No power steering, but I have fitted after market power windows in the front. Running is very low (22,300 km) as it is mostly used for our evening outings and weekend travels only. I had visited carwale.com and the price reflected was 206,000 for a car in excellent condition, thus I have put a price of 200,000, which to some extent is negotiable. The pics in the ad speak for themselves. I have taken them last Saturday only.
I would love to retain this car, but my prob is that I am the only one who drives in my family and I would hate to see this car rot standing in one place.
Guys whats the price I should expect? If I am getting a dismal price, I might as well not change. I just wish Maruti had made this car slightly bigger. This thread would not even have existed.
Ditto here, Maverick! I wish the car was bigger. I've lived with no boot space thanks to the speakers, amp and the woofer. 2,00,000 for a 2004 Zen LXi is good, IMO. Perhaps, a second-hand car dealer can stretch it to 2,10,000 or 2,20,000.

I'm now curious. What can I expect for my 2004 Zen VXi? It is fully loaded - power windows, power steeting, rear wiper + defogger, amp + woofer + 6 speakers and in a very good shape except for some scratches here and there.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
DueLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Happens sometimes. Sometimes all it takes is just one enquiry to finish the sale. I had that experience 8 years back when i sold my 118 NE.

Don't lose heart & reduce your price.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 15:08   #8
BANNED

Maverick : i guess you shd get 1.7/ 1.8 as it LX, Reduce the price, i am sure you will get enqueries.
nicejits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 18:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Happens when the car gets itself into a niche segment, like an OHC. Though both are probably at polar opposites in that segment, the OHC has a lot of demand, the Zen is in demand only by serious modders looking for a pocket-sized rocket.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 20:00   #10
BHPian

Sorry to post to this old thread now. But can't resist
I was researching the used car market for some long and man!! the ZEN (older model) is still selling like HOT cakes. And also the ZEN D its not much available in used market but those available ones are being asked huge rates.
A 99 model stock ZEN pertol is asked a rate about 1.35L and a 99 model stock ZEN Diesel is asked around 1.5 - 1.6L. Its the senario in kerala. .. please what is this?
xenxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 21:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxer View Post
...A 99 model stock ZEN petrol is asked a rate about 1.35L....
My dad was offered Rs 50k for his '99 carb zen (mint condition and never driven above 70kph!). Perhaps I should try selling it in Kerala.
I was wondering if I should retain it and mod it, but I already own a swift vxi that I plan to soup up. So is it worth keeping the old zen?
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 05:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

The old ZEN is taking a cue from the RX100, its selling purely on demand. It was a cult car in its time, but has its limitations now, its more like greedy owners who are pushing up the price
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 07:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised. When I thought of buying a Zen (< 5 years old), the prices quoted were in the region of Rs 2.5 lacs. I thought "what the hell" and bought a new Alto instead. That was 6 months ago. I think the prices are still ruling high in Chennai used car market.

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd December 2009 at 07:03.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 08:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Default Is the car still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
My dad was offered Rs 50k for his '99 carb zen (mint condition and never driven above 70kph!). Perhaps I should try selling it in Kerala.
I was wondering if I should retain it and mod it, but I already own a swift vxi that I plan to soup up. So is it worth keeping the old zen?
Hey Roy, do you still have that Zen of yours,? I could come over and take a look. I have a couple of friends who are on the lookout for it.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 09:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

It is one of the hottest hatches in the 2nd hand market. When I was in search for one, I attended a mela organised by a renowned bank and MUL True Value and I saw 2 deals finalised right in front of me in no time. I had to walk of dejected as I liked the ones that got sold. Later on I got a sparingly used facelifted one in superb condition. Still gives me the kick and give others a run for their money. Like someone said it is definitely of the RX league whos value was recognised after they stopped producing it.
Yes, a maintained Zen 2004 Model would fetch nothing less than 1.3L and I don't see why the seller should sell one below that, unless there is a dire necessity to sell it off.

Whats more it comes under 'An Enthusiasts Car'.
Look: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...es-less-2.html

Last edited by prince_pervez : 23rd December 2009 at 09:27.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote