Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th October 2008, 11:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

U turn is a series of right turns taken in rapid succession. So a right turn indicator will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Actually, I would like to ban U turns all together as they create traffic problems. I would rather prefer to drive few meters more rather than sit in a traffic snarl.
So, Would you like to ban right turns as well??
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 12:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
...Frivolous stuff man - make the license issuing, a hardcore tool to weed out the trafic problems today...

We should first focus on getting the basics right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
...one headlight not working - jail term...
and if that one headlight happens to be the right-side one --> death by hanging

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
A doubt - I come to a roundabout and since I have some free time and want to admire the statue there from all sides, I want to go round and round this roundabout - how do I indicate my intentions?
Please follow the steps given below in the exact same order :

1. Put on the right turn idicator.
2. Continue driving around the roundabout slowly (speed less than 10kmph), admiring the statue from all sides.
2. As you drive around the statue, you may find something in it which is very admirable : then, sound the horn three times and at the same time flash the hazard lights three times.
3. Continue going around the roundabout.
(please note that taking photos of statues in roundabouts from moving cars is strictly prohibited)
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 12:50   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
So, Would you like to ban right turns as well??
Frankly, I would not ban right turns, but shall cut them to bare minimum. For example, in Bangalore, Airport Road has become quite easy to drive through and same is the case with inner ring road.

I am sure that many people who drive on the BTM Layout road leading towards Silk Board can relate to what I am saying. To travel about 1.5 kms, you would spend anywhere between 30 - 40 mins. That's really painful and huge waste of expensive gas.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 12:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
More than U turn indicators, we need a overtake me/don't overtake me indicator.
i agree. this is helpful in case if we are behind heavy vehicles.
benkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 14:13   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Please follow the steps given below in the exact same order :

1. Put on the right turn idicator.
2. Continue driving around the roundabout slowly (speed less than 10kmph), admiring the statue from all sides.
2. As you drive around the statue, you may find something in it which is very admirable : then, sound the horn three times and at the same time flash the hazard lights three times.
3. Continue going around the roundabout.
(please note that taking photos of statues in roundabouts from moving cars is strictly prohibited)
Superb - I expected nothing less.

However, one nagging doubt about the hazard lights:
If I switch the hazard lights on, they will flash at a predetermined rate. Are you saying I should wait for them to flash thrice and then switch them off and repeat the cycle twice? Or just switch it them off after they flash thrice on the first switch-on?

When the hazard lights are on, your point 1 is no longer true.

I have seen many statues with large lawns around them. Large lawns mean bajji stalls - where can I get an indicator that says "Stopped for Bajjis"?

By the way, I checked the 'Rules of the Road Regulations" on the Department of Road Transport & Highways (Ministry of Shipping, Road Transport & Highways, Government of India).

Rule 12: Taking a 'U' turn - No driver shall take a 'U' turn where 'U' turn is specifically prohibited. If a 'U' turn is allowed the driver shall show signal by hand as for a right turn, watch in the rear view mirror and turn when safe to do so.

Before esteemed members pounce on me (via posts), please remember that you can use your right indicator for a 'U' turn and / or show a hand signal.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 15:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Post Bajjis

Quote:
... Or just switch it them off after they flash thrice on the first switch-on?....
yes, exactly.

Quote:
... When the hazard lights are on, your point 1 is no longer true...
Agreed.

Quote:
...I have seen many statues with large lawns around them. Large lawns mean bajji stalls - where can I get an indicator that says "Stopped for Bajjis"? ...
You dont need an indicator for that. Just get one of those reversing horns : you remember the ones that used to announce "Attention please, this car is backing up", well, there are similar ones available which say very loudly "Attention please, Stopped for bajjis". You should install one of these, and park the car with the reverse gear engaged, when you stop for bajjis. This way, the voice announcement + the reverse lights will warn all other vehicles.

Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 17:16   #37
BHPian

Maybe a large LED scrolling panel incorporated into the back of the vehicle which has a scrolling marquee showing what you want to do e.g stopped for bajji's/ on a con call don't make noise! etc!!! Of course a full qwerty keybpoard to let your creativity run wild for the messages. :-)
rmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 17:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
Maybe a large LED scrolling panel incorporated into the back of the vehicle which has a scrolling marquee showing what you want to do e.g stopped for bajji's/ on a con call don't make noise! etc!!! Of course a full qwerty keybpoard to let your creativity run wild for the messages. :-)
Ah you stole my thoughts mate!.
It would be lovely to flash messages at the santros putting a disco lightesque display or sumo's honking as if he has to attend nature's call within next 10 seconds. .
santhosh_kumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 20:51   #39
BANNED

Assuming that amitpunjani has the answer to his original question, may I request the moderators to lock this thread before it denegerates into a bad joke?
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote